Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Roth posted:

I think that ultimately, the surrounding culture war and politicization of Cuties is going to be more interesting than the actual movie.

The movie itself simply has a message of "The sexual exploitation of children is bad, and don't blame the children for it" and the only conversation with that is a never ending back and forth on if the things it does to achieve that point are justified or not. I'm not sure how you can have this kind of story without showing it happening, and it's a conversation that reminds me of people arguing that a movie with well shot violence is saying that violence is cool.

I personally think it falls into the same trap as "you can't tell an anti-war war movie". Everyone who picks up on what it's trying to say already gets it and everyone who could use to learn the lesson won't understand the text, will just absorb the images, and will either be disgusted in a way that deeply misses the point like the Q-Anon folks or will just watch for the thing it's trying to condemn. Understanding the images but not the text is also the calling card of the right so it's not surprising it's seeing this backlash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU