Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Are the actual actors that young? It's typical to have people playing a few years younger, and it seems to me that she intentionally cast people who were a bit older (but could also look younger) to heighten the effect. Obviously they are not adults so there's still the exploitation issue; I just think it's a better to be accurate when considering these issues. Because I also think that when kids see media that says, "this is how a child your age looks", which the majority of media does using older children, it is going to have an effect on how they perceive themselves. Clearly this film was not aimed at children, but with all the controversy it's probably going to get out on some level.

e: Apparently I'm wrong, so I'd have to see the film to understand that choice.

That doesn't mean I necessarily think the film should not have been made since it is an important discussion. The marketing and controversy have really pushed it into a position it was never meant to be in. I heard a reviewer mention that he wrote a review after seeing it earlier in the year (maybe at Sundance?) and now he's being labeled a 'pedophile' since he gave it a positive review and naturally never mentions the controversy, since it was not a thing at the time. The fact that this is hitting in the middle of the Qanon 'save the children' movement is certainly not helping the effect either.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's kind of weird to be having fantasies about other people having fantasies about children.