Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

A lot of this controversy reminds me of the "Drag Queens....at your local library?!?" culture warrior shitfit a few years back. I guess a couple Drag Queens mildly twerked (like, they weren't doing much more then shaking their butt) in a mixed setting, and this was considered beyond the pale for some people

To cut through the obfuscation, though, I think the real question at hand is: Is modern hip hop dancing, which has heavy influences from stripper routines and dancehall twerking, appropriate to have as a mainstream dance, assuming that our children will see and practice this mainstream dance. This is the exact question the movie was asking.

This question then leads to: Was it appropriate for Maimouna Doucoure to have her preteen actors do this performance, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Child labor laws aside, was the framing of the scene itself (the full scene, not the edited one posted by conservatives online) objectionable?

I've only seen the clip, but it struck me as being a fairly neutral and dispassionate framing even in that. There was no close-up "sliding" of the male gaze up and down the body like you see in rap videos to create a tantalizing effect, it was a set of fairly static shots and reaction shots.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

The director's cut is especially not cool. It's a weird, disturbing choice that's made legitimately concerning by stories of the director that have come out in recent years.

Is it even in question that Besson is probably a creepy nonce? I haven't seen the directors cut, but even the regular movie reminded me of Taxi Driver but....trying to make the inappropriate relationship cute.

e. oh, shocking, Besson got his ex-wife pregnant when she was 16, and were dating since she was 15...3 years after he met her.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 14, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

absolutely hilarious.