Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

pentyne posted:

It's also a sad reality the foreign nature of the film and the race of the actresses are certainly a factor.

Many comparisons have been made to shows like Dance Moms and other reality pageant shows that depict a culture that places extreme importance on the percieved attractiveness of female children for the purposes of competition. The southern belle pageant culture is constantly described in terms like "wholesome" and "harmless"

I would go so far as to say raising female children up in a practice by where they are rigourously judged for their appearance and perfomance from age 5 and up is vastly more harmful to children then anything this movie could ever do.

Who is describing southern belle culture as “wholesome” and “harmless”? Certainly nobody in this thread. I’m sure you can find people who defend child pageants, but my impression is that they are widely considered to be weird as hell.

Reality TV programs like Dance Moms and Toddlers in Tiaras are popular because they are freak shows. Psycho moms and weirdo children make for good television, but their popularity shouldn’t be mistaken for public approval.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU