Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think that ultimately, the surrounding culture war and politicization of Cuties is going to be more interesting than the actual movie.

The movie itself simply has a message of "The sexual exploitation of children is bad, and don't blame the children for it" and the only conversation with that is a never ending back and forth on if the things it does to achieve that point are justified or not. I'm not sure how you can have this kind of story without showing it happening, and it's a conversation that reminds me of people arguing that a movie with well shot violence is saying that violence is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Are we certain the actress' were harmed by filming the scenes?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No we are not, and it will probably be awhile before we find out, but the problem is that the potential is there, because otherwise the film wouldn't need to be made in the first place.

Right, but then we are arguing based on hypotheticals, and the potential ethical issues of child actors. Not on the morality of the film's message itself.

We could instead use animation, at which point the argument becomes "You just drew sexy children"

We could instead use adult actors, at which point the argument becomes "The characters depicted are still minors"

If we are framing the conversation around potential harm, then none of these really fix the problem as a film could do these things and have the opposite message of Cuties. What the film condones and approves of is more important to me than how it achieves that message.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Waterbed Wendy posted:

has anyone in here actually watched the movie?

I watched it this morning.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

The director's cut is especially not cool. It's a weird, disturbing choice that's made legitimately concerning by stories of the director that have come out in recent years.

I hate that my reaction to this stuff coming out is total non-surprise now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No one. Not one drat person in any review has mentioned that this loving thing is DUBBED. Film critics are worthless.

You can switch it to French, though I'm way too out of practice with my French to tell if the subtitles are accurate.