Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

TrixRabbi posted:

The other film Cuties draws to mind is Little Miss Sunshine, which ends with a provocative dance performed by the family's young daughter that's played for a mix of laughs and discomfort but also iirc lacked as pointed a commentary as Cuties does (I haven't seen it since like 2007 fyi). And that movie was nominated for Best Picture!

I haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine so the movie that jumped to my mind first is Mean Girls, just for the one scene of Regina George's young sister watching a Girls Gone Wild commercial and imitating it while her mom was actively not giving a poo poo. It's only one scene and it's played for a joke but the girl is like, 8, so it runs up against the same issue: does the kid understand what she's doing when the director tells her to flash the TV screen (facing away from the camera, obviously)

It also brings all of those gross lovely kid beauty pageants to mind, mostly because the sort of people who dress their 8-year-old daughters up like pageant queens are the exact sorts of people who are likely to fall into the most conspiracy-adjacent angles of this controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU