Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Roth posted:

Right, but then we are arguing based on hypotheticals, and the potential ethical issues of child actors. Not on the morality of the film's message itself.

We could instead use animation, at which point the argument becomes "You just drew sexy children"

We could instead use adult actors, at which point the argument becomes "The characters depicted are still minors"

If we are framing the conversation around potential harm, then none of these really fix the problem as a film could do these things and have the opposite message of Cuties. What the film condones and approves of is more important to me than how it achieves that message.

If the fact that they implemented these workarounds were even faintly lampshaded, then I think it could very well be consistent with the film's underlying message: that it's wrong for kids to do these things and we should really be skeeved out by it.

Could just start the dance off, show the audience clapping and cheering, and have the "normal person" character who's there to guide the viewer through the story wondering what the gently caress is wrong with these people.

Roth posted:

Are we certain the actress' were harmed by filming the scenes?

If the life Sue Lyon lived was any example, I'd strongly suspect that harm.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

pentyne posted:

I'd love for the director to say something like "yes, all sorts of female child pageants/dancing contests need to stop existing" and wait for the response from all the republicans to claim that Southern Beauty Pageant culture is 100% different and none of those children are being exploited.

France, the country where this movie was filmed, banned child beauty pageants in 2013. I wish I could say it was in response to Toddlers in Tiaras, but nooooo it was because a fashion rag went too far

quote:

The measure was prompted by a row over a photo shoot in Vogue magazine. The photos published in December 2010 showed a girl of 10 with two others, all three in heavy make-up and wearing tight dresses, high heels and expensive jewellery.

Vogue defended the pictures, saying they merely portrayed a common fantasy among young girls - to dress like their mother.

Parliament heard a report entitled Against Hyper-Sexualisation: A New Fight For Equality, which called for the ban on beauty competitions for the under-16s. It also recommended other measures, not included in the bill, including a ban on child-size adult clothing such as padded ras and high-heeled shoes.

You know that shot is cocked and ready for the first American of any importance to throw stones at the French.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 15, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Not banning discussion around her outright, but maybe let's limit it and use other examples.

Enter Natalie Portman

quote:

I turned 12 on the set of my first film, 'The Professional,'" Portman explained on stage. "[At 13] I excitedly opened my first fan mail — to read a rape fantasy that a man had written me.

A countdown was started on my local radio show to my 18th birthday, euphemistically the date that I would be legal to sleep with. Movie reviewers talked about my budding breasts in reviews. I understood very quickly, even as a 13-year-old, that if I were to express myself sexually, I would feel unsafe, and that men would feel entitled to discuss and objectify my body to my great discomfort

fuckin' :barf:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Just finished watching it and I can't say I would've stuck it out if it weren't for the controversy. Fathia Youssuf acted well, I thought. She was believable as Amy even if Amy as a character sometimes beggars belief. Then again, when I was eleven, a lot of the things I did made no drat sense either.

The message is there: Young girls are pressured on all sides to become someone else's idea of 'grown-up', they don't figure it out all at once, and not every step they take on that journey is forward. Be skinnier, sexier, tougher, more revealing, more traditional, more pious, all at the same time and all for the sake of fitting in to what's modeled to them as ideal, oh and by the way somewhere in the middle is a forming personality with her own thoughts and hopes. Those bases get covered.

You know straight away who the main characters are, because they're the ones dressed for school like they want to be sent home before they're done taking attendance. They're believable as tweens because they are, but they're no great shakes as a dance crew because they're eleven and learning their stuff from the internet (this comes up later). Conveniently-to-the-plot, the one heavy girl in the group gets kicked out, the protagonist discovers sexy dancing on the internet and imports it to her crew, and they all instantly decide yes, these are the moves we need to learn to compete with much older dancers who mock us for being little girls. Double-spoiler: They stink.

Acht posted:

One of the girls is dancing like a girl in a rap video or something, wearing skinny leather pants. The camera deliberately lingers here and there and it adds nothing whatsoever. The movie obviously wants to make an impact by hiding the girls face just long enough so anyone stupidly thinking it is "hot" gets a big reveal. It's a stupid scene and we start to disconnect.

Very well-said.

The stairs dancing montage about an hour in seemed gratuitous to me, and the two or three minutes that followed is time I want back. Ick. It evoked memories of a comedian who was trying way too hard to get laughs by throwing out every filthy word he could think of. We get it. They're kids and this isn't appropriate. And then there's the crotch selfie scene which is random as gently caress. She's caught with her cousin's stolen phone, and her reaction's to barricade herself in the bathroom with it, which is plausible, then outta nowhere she instagrams her genitals? The fuckin' what? And then it's retconned later with some talk about how she wanted everyone to think they were mature, which I have a really hard time accepting as her though process in that moment. Everything that happens after that point though, that's totally believable.

Water splashing scene: Okay she's been caught, and mom's reaction is believable, and then it gets weird. What even was that?

The dance show itself: Pre-dance, the characters looked genuinely lost, very much like little girls in women's places. This was shot well. Music starts, strike a pose, they did the adult twerky-floor humpy things just like the music videos taught Amy to teach them, and the result was... well, I'm not sure "inept" is the right word to describe it. They weren't good, but I think it was deliberate; to juxtapose their youth with the behaviour they're trying to imitate and how inappropriate this is, with all the subtlety of a steamshovel rodeo. The part the twitter clips don't show is the mostly-mom-age crowd going from cheering, to booing, to stunned, shocked silence and dismayed head-shaking, with one parent covering her young daughter's eyes and each of the four judges giving it an appalled yikes. There was one Superbad lookin dude who was smiling and clapping, but he was obviously there to make it as plain as they could without explicitly saying so that what we're watching is fuckin' wrong. As the crew carries on ineptly, poor Amy looks increasingly lost up there until she finally cracks, cries and deserts her crew in mid-performance to run home. Supportive Grandma and Oppressive Conservative Mom switch roles as, on the occasion of her husband's first polygamist wedding, Mom figures out that the culture that's sprung up around womanhood is officially bullshit and Amy is free to tell everyone pressuring her to grow up that they can all go to hell; she does exactly that by running outside and skipping rope, fin.

I agree with Acht that the film just seems... dull. There's no urgency driving the plot, no consequence for failure, no reward for success, and characters just sort of flit in and out of existence. It's more like a series of vignettes in chronological order with some weird poo poo in the middle, which now that I say it, sounds like being eleven to me.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 19, 2020

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The idiots are howling for the government to DO SOMETHING, and since this is SOMETHING, the people responsible can claim to have done it when election time rolls around