Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

It's doing a huge disservice to hand wave away perfectly legitimate criticism from some people just because a bunch of far right nuts have latched onto this controversy. The whole world doesn't revolve around the American left vs right thing.

Personally for me, no matter how good the intention or message behind the film, it doesn't excuse using having child actors film such sexualized scenes. I think the message could have been delivered without it, whether by having the dance scenes be shot differently, or using actors old enough to consent. Not because I want to enjoy those scenes without being uncomfortable, as some people have suggested that's what people calling for the use of older actors want.

Plenty of people have countered that with the opinion that it needs to be real children to make people uncomfortable so that it provokes a reaction and further discussion about the problem. Yes without this controversy blowing up online nowhere near as many people would be thinking about or discussing it. But for me, the extra attention on the issue is not worth even the slightest risk of the child actors being negatively affected by this whole thing. The bottom line for me is that they're too young to consent to being used in this way, whether the director did their best to try and limit any harm or not. Just because children that young are experimenting and exploring their sexuality in their private lives doesn't mean they have the agency to fully understand the consequences of making a film about this subject.

Panic! At The Tesco fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

pentyne posted:

I don't think someone using phrases like "forced by greedy parents" and "brainwashed by psychologists into accepting it" is making legitimate criticism.

I wasn't talking about anyone in particular in this thread or otherwise. It's more something I've noticed as I've read discussions on the film. I'm not defending or excusing those right wing nutters either (there are definitely some idiots who are using it as a political tool and making poo poo arguments like in your examples). I was just pointing out that a lot of people have decided that anyone who isn't cool with the film must be one them.