Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

Movie theaters use yellow died coconut oil, not peanut oil, you imbicile, you loving moron.

Use this to double down on butter flavor

https://www.shopatdean.com/products/popcorn-popping-oil-61-galloncase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even with the peanut oil, it ended up really good. Way better than microwaved popcorn.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Disney is “restructuring” its media and entertainment divisions, claiming that their main focus is now on streaming: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disney-reorganizes-to-focus-on-streaming-direct-to-consumer.html

Despite Mulan’s rumored poor performance, they seem to be doubling down on Disney+. I can’t say I get it, but Disney usually doesn’t take risks - they didn’t get on the 4K Blu-Ray market until years late. Probably bad news for theaters all around.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pirate Jet posted:

Disney is “restructuring” its media and entertainment divisions, claiming that their main focus is now on streaming: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/disney-reorganizes-to-focus-on-streaming-direct-to-consumer.html

Despite Mulan’s rumored poor performance, they seem to be doubling down on Disney+. I can’t say I get it, but Disney usually doesn’t take risks - they didn’t get on the 4K Blu-Ray market until years late. Probably bad news for theaters all around.
They're probably kicking themselves for launching at such a low subscription price and offering that "3-yr at like $4 a month" deal that I got in on. They could have been fleecing people for more.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There was a time before Hurricane Katrina when I frequented movie theaters and arcades... I think if you post here in CD, you probably have at some time enjoyed going to a theater not even knowing the showtimes and maybe even watched more than one movie on that outing... maybe even alone... maybe you even preferred it like me. Good times. None of the arcades around here opened up after Katrina and I have been lamenting their loss for literal decades now. I don't feel so fondly about the theater, for some reason.
I remember that moment when I thought that my home console video games were as equal or as powerful as the arcade machines (around Dreamcast time), and remember how that felt. I think I feel that way about home theaters now.

E: I'm not that goon with his own viewing room, I don't have the ability to replicate an IMAX show, but I bought a 75 inch 4k tv last year and would prefer to watch Tenet on it

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 13, 2020

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm surprised, given that a streaming film can be easily pirated and spread around Asia where films may still open in theaters.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm not too surprised tbh. There's still no real end to the pandemic in sight, and Disney probably needs to start preparing for the possibility of having to drop some of their bigger movies they've been holding for theatrical releases.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Anonymous John posted:

I'm surprised, given that a streaming film can be easily pirated and spread around Asia where films may still open in theaters.

I was under the impression they were working very hard to stop this with proprietary tech, but I have no idea what could even do this sort of thing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's impossible to prevent copying linear media, every form of DRM for video and audio is only ever an inconvenience.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Firstborn posted:

There was a time before Hurricane Katrina when I frequented movie theaters and arcades... I think if you post here in CD, you probably have at some time enjoyed going to a theater not even knowing the showtimes and maybe even watched more than one movie on that outing... maybe even alone... maybe you even preferred it like me. Good times. None of the arcades around here opened up after Katrina and I have been lamenting their loss for literal decades now. I don't feel so fondly about the theater, for some reason.
I remember that moment when I thought that my home console video games were as equal or as powerful as the arcade machines (around Dreamcast time), and remember how that felt. I think I feel that way about home theaters now.

E: I'm not that goon with his own viewing room, I don't have the ability to replicate an IMAX show, but I bought a 75 inch 4k tv last year and would prefer to watch Tenet on it

I know what you mean about arcades, most of the ones I went to closed up over the years and each one's loss was a blow. I'd managed to get to the last one nearby once late last year before COVID hit the US, and I'm not sure it'll survive. It'll hurt to lose it, but I just don't feel the same way about the theater. I like the experience enough to go by myself if there's a movie I think sounds interesting, but I like being able to choose when I'll watch and what food I'll have when I do more.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I never went to arcades regularly back then back the but recently found a place that lets you play everything for a single fixed price. It's pretty cool and I got to play poo poo I've never seen IRL like Asteroids, frogged and Donkey Kong.

Although I do have a projector at home, I do miss the movies still. My projector isn't quite as nice and I can't crank the sound up without the cops showing up. And it also was easier to get friends to agree to meet at a central theater than come to my place (we live on opposite sides of the city). We used to go once or twice a month to see the good poo poo, on daily basis of course I just watch TV/movies on the projector.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

movies as an "experience" being limited to people with the cash to splash on tv's and stereo equipment really really sucks. one of my formative memories was soaking in the spectacle and awe of Lord of the Rings in theatre. I learned to love movies after experiencing that bombast in person. makes me sad that children whose parents can't afford that kind of luxury won't have that same experience.

I know it's not a foregone conclusion, but it's really hard to see theatres coming back this decade.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

You guys know there were theatres and concerts and poo poo before the flu vaccine right

Before smallpox was eradicated

If there's no breakthrough then people will just accept death

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

You guys know there were theatres and concerts and poo poo before the flu vaccine right

Before smallpox was eradicated

If there's no breakthrough then people will just accept death

Yeah but we're trying to be responsible now. It's not just about personal risk, getting it risks spreading it to others, the virus gets more opportunities, etc. Corona being so drat infectious is the main reason it's caused such an upheaval.

Plus there was the issue of theaters being in a not-great state before this. Home media viewing has become more of a thing than ever, a lot of people don't see a huge difference between watching a movie in a theater or seeing it on a good-sized HDTV screen even without 4k, etc.

Like, for me, I appreciate that any decently well shot film is going to be improved on the big screen. Seeing John Carpenter's The Thing in theaters was great because those early shots of the Antarctic landscape are so isolating, just this massive wall of white. (And of course horror benefits a lot from the communal experience- seeing Texas Chainsaw Massacre on a big screen last year, with people around me clearly shocked by the stuff inside the house, etc., was great.) But I'm a movie buff. I am a dedicated fan of the medium. For a lot of people, movies are- and always have been- just one more way to pass the time, just one more vehicle for stories and spectacle. They don't prize the unique aspects of it. And if there's some added risk to going to a theater to see one, even if you're not taking that as seriously as you should, it's one more reason not to bother.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
seeing a lot of film biz takes to the effect that "if the big studios thought streaming/VOD was sufficiently profitable, they wouldn't be delaying all their big blockbusters for months and months multiple times." There's truth in that, I'm sure, but I think it's as least as much that theatrical exhibition is the only business model studios have ever known for distributing films with nine-figure budgets, and that they're in deep denial about just how deep a hole that business model is in and about just how drastically the COVID-19 situation would have to change for moviegoing to return in the US at anything even vaguely resembling normal rates, and how long that might take

short version, I could be wrong, but if spring/summer 2021 doesn't look viable for theatrical, I think you will see more studios start to cave in and go straight to VOD/streaming even for big blockbuster films

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 15, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Theaters will shut down entirely for a few years, and they will come back and the first movie that will be played will be Emoji Movie 2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got a bottle of coconut oil and made a batch of popcorn with it. I gotta say, I think I like the peanut oil more?

Also I bought a Whirley popcorn popper pot and it burned some of the popcorn. It has a handle mechanism to turn to rotate the popcorn to prevent any from burning but it jammed up when a certain amount of popcorn was made. I never burned any when I was using a wok.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Legendary should finish their live-action Gundam movie, then only allow people who wear cosplay in.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Theaters will shut down entirely for a few years, and they will come back and the first movie that will be played will be Emoji Movie 2.

wrong, James Cameron will open up Avatar only theatres in every city that play all 5 Avatars 24/7 and thats it - and you must wear the glasses at all time!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got a bottle of coconut oil and made a batch of popcorn with it. I gotta say, I think I like the peanut oil more?

Also I bought a Whirley popcorn popper pot and it burned some of the popcorn. It has a handle mechanism to turn to rotate the popcorn to prevent any from burning but it jammed up when a certain amount of popcorn was made. I never burned any when I was using a wok.

A co-worker of mine brought in a real theater style popcorn maker into the office and it was amazing. We bought the kernels, oil, salt, even little bags. I got pretty good at making the popcorn. Unfortunately the heating element broke and it would have been cheaper to buy a whole new popcorn maker than just replace that one part.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AMC is letting you rent out a theater for private showing for as little as $100, more for more recent movies. Jurassic park appears to only be $100.

That feels...relatively safe? I'm sure the CSPAM COVID thread wouldn't approve, but sitting with masks on and 20 feet away from other parties (which would be trivial with only 20 people in the room) is probably pretty safe.

Regardless, this can't be a good sign, haha.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Boxman posted:

AMC is letting you rent out a theater for private showing for as little as $100, more for more recent movies. Jurassic park appears to only be $100.

That feels...relatively safe? I'm sure the CSPAM COVID thread wouldn't approve, but sitting with masks on and 20 feet away from other parties (which would be trivial with only 20 people in the room) is probably pretty safe.

Regardless, this can't be a good sign, haha.

Cinemark has been running that for awhile and so far i haven't seen anything about a cinemark outbreak

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's still the problem of assuming that your group of friends is safe that we're going to run into for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and there's the question of using the theater's concessions and bathrooms safely. But it's probably on the safer end of the scale.

It really doesn't seem too sustainable either though. I know it sounds fun but once you start actually collecting money in a pot I wonder how many people really want to watch an old movie at a theater. And all of the newer stuff at $150 is pretty much straight trash.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I trust my friends who are all working from home more than I trust me who still goes into the office.

Thankfully, I hate going to things for Thanksgiving and Christmas so this gives me a good valid excuse to stay home

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Just got my lay-off letter tonight, I expect it to be a very long next 6 months for the movie showing industry.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Free Guy and Death on the Nile both got dropped from the release schedule. At this point seriously doubt Wonder Woman keeps the Christmas date.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Really curious if Disney will continue to hold off on Wonder Woman and Black Widow or eventually just drop them on Disney+ at this rate.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

esperterra posted:

Really curious if Disney will continue to hold off on Wonder Woman and Black Widow or eventually just drop them on Disney+ at this rate.
Disney doesn't own Wonder Woman, that's DC, but maybe?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

esperterra posted:

Why would Disney hold off on a movie they aren’t distributing?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
By all accounts the “be a subscriber and then pay $30 on top of it” strategy flopped hard for Mulan, though said accounts are all very distant from the source, who’s keeping mum. Soul could be an indicator of how viable direct-to-Disney+ could be, but I don’t think it’ll be that accurate because no way it’ll be as big of a draw as Mulan, let alone Black Widow.

I’d be very surprised if Black Widow was just added into an existing Disney+ subscription. I think the most likely candidate right now is a “Theatrical Access” digital release like Bill and Ted and a bunch of other movies got.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mulan was a weird situation where right before it came out they announced it would be coming to regular subscribers in December for no extra fee. So that probably killed a lot of potential interest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I could see them trying a $30 price for non D+ subscribers and a discount price for subscribers

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JazzFlight posted:

Disney doesn't own Wonder Woman, that's DC, but maybe?

lmao that's what I get for posting first thing in the morning

I wonder if WB will hold out or drop it online somewhere !!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

esperterra posted:

lmao that's what I get for posting first thing in the morning

I wonder if WB will hold out or drop it online somewhere !!

They'd have to be idiots to release it in theaters. But they might. If Patty is like Nolan and insists on theaters, that will be a wrap for movie theater showings for a while.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm getting some real early 2000's record company vibes from the movie distributors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DC was supposed to do Wonder Woman movie tie in covers for some comics but every time the movie has been delayed they pushed the covers back. Well, they pushed them again, so the movie is most likely getting delayed again.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

It'll be pretty funny if covid kills the superhero movie for a while.

Hopefully we get some small budget movies to replace them, though :whitewater:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Famethrowa posted:

It'll be pretty funny if covid kills the superhero movie for a while.

Hopefully we get some small budget movies to replace them, though :whitewater:
Hell, I'd be fine if we go the route Disney seems to be pivoting to, which is to fund shorter one-off seasons on Disney+ that take place in the MCU.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
During my expedition into the Hot Zone over the weekend, I saw a bunch of Top Gun: Maverick merchandise and remembered that Top Gun was supposed to get a sequel this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1329202870567063553
WB blinked.