Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

oh my

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I really hope someday in the future all the financials behind that decision get leaked so mere mortals like myself can understand why they'd put a movie with a $200mil budget on a streaming service vs just shelving it for a year.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Movie theater industry will die

Also they make money from theaters directly. I think

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Sirotan posted:

I really hope someday in the future all the financials behind that decision get leaked so mere mortals like myself can understand why they'd put a movie with a $200mil budget on a streaming service vs just shelving it for a year.

it's because AT&T sees HBO Max as (in the long term) a more reliable revenue driver than theaters. HBO Max has also been lagging behind their expectations for subscribers

so with theaters closed for the time being there is a certain logic to foregoing theatrical revenue, even when it'd be a surefire ~$1 billion grosser under normal circumstances

also, it's likely not viable for studios to keep delaying absolutely everything, because the backlog of releases is going to get unwieldy (especially as film production has ramped up again over the past few months)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FoneBone posted:

HBO Max has also been lagging behind their expectations for subscribers

It's almost like not having an app on popular streaming devices is a huge deterrent for potential users.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They just made a deal with Amazon this week so it is now on Fire devices.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FoneBone posted:

also, it's likely not viable for studios to keep delaying absolutely everything, because the backlog of releases is going to get unwieldy (especially as film production has ramped up again over the past few months)

stay tuned closely to Disney's investor day on Dec. 10 to see whether they blink on Black Widow, Raya, and more. I bet they will even if it's not announced there; a vaccine isn't going to be widely available in the US by early May

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

muscles like this! posted:

They just made a deal with Amazon this week so it is now on Fire devices.

I would also bet that they finally reach a deal with Roku in time for WW84

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They stared into the abyss... and blinked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rumor has it that Godzilla vs Kong could go direct to streaming with Netflix offering $200 million and WarnerMedia thinking about putting it on HBO Max. The movie is currently scheduled for a May release and if it passes on a theatrical run that could be seen as a bellwether for next year's slate.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Rumor has it that Godzilla vs Kong could go direct to streaming with Netflix offering $200 million and WarnerMedia thinking about putting it on HBO Max. The movie is currently scheduled for a May release and if it passes on a theatrical run that could be seen as a bellwether for next year's slate.

A vaccine is highly unlikely to be widely available by May, might as well start ripping the denial Band-Aid off

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

GrandpaPants posted:

It's almost like not having an app on popular streaming devices is a huge deterrent for potential users.

This is where I grumble about the DC Universe app not being available on the PS4 for some reason.

(Yes I know DCU is dead now.)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
They did get it out on the ps4.

Still dead though.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Every 2021 WB release, including Dune and Matrix 4, will debut simultaneously on HBO Max and in theaters. https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/dune-matrix-all-warner-bros-films-hbo-max-1234602168/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

Every 2021 WB release, including Dune and Matrix 4, will debut simultaneously on HBO Max and in theaters. https://www.indiewire.com/2020/12/dune-matrix-all-warner-bros-films-hbo-max-1234602168/

https://twitter.com/erikdavis/status/1334565772769693696?s=10

Insanity

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GOOD.

This is the dream.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
HBO Max is now a must-buy and I think movie theaters are now loving dead. This is a gutshot and all that's left is the bleeding out.

Holy poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzR8FB8EEE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, WB if you're gonna do that how about giving us Dune earlier than next December?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It begins.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

loving finally.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol:

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1334572497321275394?s=10

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Disney did this for Hamilton in June.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm glad that studios are starting to end their months and months of self-delusion. Moviegoing patterns in the US aren't going to be anything close to pre-COVID normal anytime soon even with promising vaccine results, and it's just not tenable to keep delaying entire studio slates by months and months; the backlog of delayed films is already massive, and absent a willingness to embrace VOD/streaming, it's only going to keep growing as film production has largely resumed.

Disney's investor day a week from today is going to be very interesting in this regard. the reporting I've seen from the Hollywood trades suggests that they're considering releasing Cruella and some of their 2021 slate on Disney+, but that they're still deluding themselves with respect to Raya, Black Widow, etc. we'll see if that's the case or if they're ready to embrace reality

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

Disney's investor day a week from today is going to be very interesting in this regard. the reporting I've seen from the Hollywood trades suggests that they're considering releasing Cruella and some of their 2021 slate on Disney+, but that they're still deluding themselves with respect to Raya, Black Widow, etc. we'll see if that's the case or if they're ready to embrace reality
It really is; everyone's gonna be pressing them to match WB and they've seriously got to get Black Widow and Eternals out somehow already; for everything else, delaying a movie just delays that movie, but they have an entire linear storytelling franchise here and the knock-on effects are growing exponentially.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Barry Convex posted:

I'm glad that studios are starting to end their months and months of self-delusion. Moviegoing patterns in the US aren't going to be anything close to pre-COVID normal anytime soon even with promising vaccine results, and it's just not tenable to keep delaying entire studio slates by months and months; the backlog of delayed films is already massive, and absent a willingness to embrace VOD/streaming, it's only going to keep growing as film production has largely resumed.

Maybe a studio thinks that if they're the last ones in theaters only, that people will specifically only pick their movie when given a choice? Kind of a game of chicken? I think people will probably just still stay home and watch whatever other movie releases online around the same time.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

It really is; everyone's gonna be pressing them to match WB and they've seriously got to get Black Widow and Eternals out somehow already; for everything else, delaying a movie just delays that movie, but they have an entire linear storytelling franchise here and the knock-on effects are growing exponentially.

it's particularly acute for the MCU because the Disney+ series mean it's not just the films that are interconnected anymore; further delaying the films could also force further delays in the Disney+ shows, which are obviously hugely important to the future of the platform as a whole (rumor has it that Falcon & Winter Soldier was delayed out of 2020 not just due to COVID-related production issues, but also due to plot elements from Black Widow that it follows up on)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

David D. Davidson posted:

They did get it out on the ps4.

Still dead though.

When? Last I checked it just never happened.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This isn’t unexpected but it still loving sucks a shitload

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A24 drop the Green Knight on Netflix or something, TIA.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
How long till Disney and the rest of them does the same?

I'm betting Netflix will step in for the smaller studios that can't afford a streaming platform.

All in all this will probably go a bit like how the digital distribution wars went down in gaming, with alot of delutional parties trying to set up their own platform before folding into steam once their own initaitives failed to take root. Netflix is basically the Steam of movies. They don't have a ton of IP's, especially legacy ones, to rely on and instead need to maintain marketshare as a strategy.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm glad theaters are dead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm glad theaters are dead.

I will never understand the people who unironically have this attitude.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Detective No. 27 posted:

How i curse you friend havers, with your "goings out" and your "participation in society". now the couch moles shall reign supreme

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been to theaters on major holidays because it was better than spending the day alone. it's lovely that people are forced to work it but 6 of one half dozen of the other

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Their existence prevented me from watching movies when they are released at home, instead I had to spend a ridiculous amount of money to go to a local cineplex with garbage 2K digital projectors with worse visual quality than my own drat projector setup.

Not everyone lives near a fancy boutique cinema.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I cancelled my AMC A-List. With COVID still being a very real threat and the WB HBO Max deal being announced, I don't foresee myself going to a theater in the next several months, and I can't resubscribe for 6 months anyway. Maybe in 6 months, things will look different. Maybe not.

Even if multiplexes die, I hope indie theaters survive somehow. There's a local indie single-screen theater that's been around for 100+ years that I really don't want to go away. I haven't been there since before the pandemic, but some of the coolest screenings I've seen have been there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1335940753420398592?s=10

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SCheeseman posted:

Their existence prevented me from watching movies when they are released at home, instead I had to spend a ridiculous amount of money to go to a local cineplex with garbage 2K digital projectors with worse visual quality than my own drat projector setup.

Not everyone lives near a fancy boutique cinema.

Luckily, we all have extremely good projector setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Luckily, we all have extremely good projector setups.
It isn't extremely good, I threw it together on the cheap which is why it's kind of pathetic that my local cineplexes tend to be even worse. Even a cheap 4K TV is fine, the only significant perks your common theaters have left is screen size and perhaps audio.