Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

The blue looks nice

Yes.

With spO2 and VO2 MAX stuff this is definite buy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

New feature for Watch 6 - pulse oximeter, takes 15 seconds

a handy COVID related feature

Also good for people with cardio issues for tracking trends in overall cardiopulmonary health.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LegendaryFrog posted:

So is the SE literally just the same watch but cheaper and with a one gen older chip?

Also no oxygen meter.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TraderStav posted:

So a cellular plan for each one? Tied to your phone number or are they going in a new direction by having it be stand alone but set up on the main iPhone.

Not going to lie, probably getting these for my kids instead of cell phones.

If it works like the watch currently does on T-Mobile, it will be $10 per device to hang it off your phone account. (YMMV with other carriers)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jabro posted:

Did they announce a price for the SE? Only saw for Series 6 and Series 3.

$279

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr Skeltal!

In a bad blonde wig

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This dude has too many teeth

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

They mean the brick.

Also the watch doesn't track weight lifting worth a poo poo.

Yeah, I end up using Strong. For non-aerobic stuff, the Workouts app is kind of poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Going to kill Peleton you mean.

The subscription part is the valuable part of Peleton's company. Anyone can buy a nice $1k bike and pair it with apple fitness

It is. Peleton charges 12.99/mo for the cheapest tier and 39.99/mo if you want access to archived workouts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That's... actually not a terrible deal.

I like that they have an option without News+

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xabi posted:

Is there any point in getting a Pro now?

I think the screen refresh, processor/GPU, and color range are still better on the Pro. Plus the screens are larger in general, even for the 11" model.

FaceID and TouchID is kind of a wash since some prefer one over the other.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

App clips can’t really be tested and iOS14/Xcode12 submissions haven’t been open so don’t expect you apps to be updated by tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm definitely holding off on iOS/WatchOS updates until the apps I use daily are updated.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Apple's online store is getting crushed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

Here’s hoping the green + blue make it to the MacBook Air too....

Yeah, I'm really liking that green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rick posted:

I wonder if the Oxygen sensor would be able to tell that my baseline was lower than most people my height/weight/age due to my lung issues. I'll find out when I upgrade my watch next in three years or more.

There's really a narrow slice that's considered normal.

Anything 95%+ is normal.
90-95% is monitor and let your doctor know.
Sustained <90% is get to the emergency room.

*Usually* when you dip down into the 80s, you'd feel a vague sense of suffocation due to CO2 imbalance, but COVID has thrown a spanner in the works there since it messes around with surfactant production in the lungs. In this case it fucks with O2 pickup but not CO2 elimination. So even though your lungs are getting damaged and working harder, none of the usual symptoms of pulmonary distress presented. People were showing up at ERs with 85% spO2 walking and talking one minute and getting hooked up to respirators the next.

This pulse oximeter for people considered at risk for COPD, COVID, or with cardiopulmonary disease is a godsend and another data point to collate for trending. I just had open heart surgery last year, so this means I can stop having to manually collect readings on a separate device 3 times a day. Now if only they could magic my BP readings I'd have the perfect medical device on my wrist (I do have a bluetooth BP machine tho). My cardio loves the watch since there is a wealth of trending data he grabs when we do our checkups.