Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

If you just want it running well and don't really give a crap about being able to squeeze every bit of horsepower out of that (as you noted) smogged-out 454, you can swap on a late-gen 454 TBI setup from the boneyard pretty simply. It's a very common swap on AMC 401s and given that you have a 454, you might even be able to bolt it on (possibly including buying the intake manifold from the donor? I don't know if it'll bolt up, but it's worth checking into maybe) instead of having to make an adapter plate.

A few pages about this:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gm-ecm-pcm-conversion/tbi-efi-conversion.html

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/1801-junkyard-fuel-injection-conversion/

the page I first read about this from:
http://www.bigscaryjeep.com/TBI_FAQ.html

You can probably do it for under 200 bucks in parts. Maybe a bit more if you get nickel-and-dimed at the junkyard checkout counter.

e: this is referencing swapping it onto an AMC motor, but the same rough steps apply to a GM motor of the same rough vintage, except you don't have to do some of the steps, like you might be able to just use the donor's intake manifold instead of making an adapter, and might be able to just swap the donor's distributor instead of customizing yours to provide cam synch to the ECU. Also, pretty awesome that you missed smog testing by 5 years, so you won't have to argue with a smog tech over this despite it being better than the factory equipment emissions wise.

the motor is a Pontiac 455, not a Chevy 454.

a GM TBI conversion was the first thing i thought of too, since it would be slow, reliable, cheap, and complicated. perfect for a project car you don't need to drive right away. you have all winter to play with it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
is there a reason not to rebuild what you've got? probably a good cleaning and a new set of gaskets would sort you out, unless you suspect there are actual mechanical problems with it like worn out bores for the throttle shafts

then again ive never rebuilt a qjet so maybe there's something about them that makes them not worth rebuilding?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Valt posted:

It is insane to me that anyone would pay any amount of money for a quadrajet rebuilt or otherwise. There are like ten thousand aftermarket carbs that way better and are mostly totally fine out of the box.

qjets are supposed to be pretty sweet when set up right, with the tiny fuel-sipping primaries and big fat secondaries.

at least, thats the praise ive heard sung about them from several sources, i just put holleys on stuff lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Valt posted:

I mean any carb setup right is probably fine. But most of those aftermarket carbs are better. I mean I got a edelbrock carb and manifold from a friend and I put it on the 307 in the truck with 0 tuning and it runs totally fine.

**Edit**

I should mention I got it for free and I never touched the carb, I didn't even open it up and clean it.

yeah this has been my experience with edelbrock, as long as your motor is pretty stockish. as soon as you need to adjust stuff, it might not be able to get there.

i guess an edelbrock is the "set it and forget it" option, a holley can be fiddled with for a bit more performance, and a qjet can be fiddled with for a bit more economy/smoothness. or something.

you're right, though, that just about any carb that is in the ballpark of the right size can likely be made to work pretty good. with that in mind, i dont see anything wrong with sticking with the qjet, especially since he would already have the spreadbore manifold and it would keep it looking stock. not the choice i would make, but a valid choice

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
vacuum advance is generally only for fuel economy while cruising (high vacuum low power, can add more timing, but it backs off when you get on it to avoid pinging)

i wouldnt think it would be related to any hard starting or anything like that. ive always had mine connected to ported vacuum :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i think they came out just fine. i like the polished ring and center cap in contrast with the matte centers. gold would look nice too but maybe thats more for the snowflakes than the honeycombs

for a 7" wheel i think anything from 185 to 255 should be appropriate. a narrower tire is going to feel "tighter" going around a turn, because you won't have as much sidewall rolling over, but its going to give you less traction for a straight line launch. on the flip side, the wider tire will give you fatter contact patches but they'll wallow a bit in corners. i have 255s on 15x7s on my impala, and the sidewalls look kinda balloon-y and you can feel it in turns. im thinking of something more like a 225 for my javelin, which will be getting 15x7s soon, to try to remedy this.

looks like the stock tire size would be a 225, according to some quick googling, though the sites don't disambiguate based on wheel options

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Steve French posted:

My understanding is that the 15" wheels came paired with F60-15 tires, which as I understand it would be a P235/60R15; so I'm thinking I will either go with that or _maybe_ put 245s on the back for just a little bit of stagger.

Tell me about your Javelin! In high school a neighbor of mine had a 1972 AMX that I really wanted, literally sitting in his barn. Love that car ever since.

that could be. i was going off of some forum post that named GR70-15, which dude says is equivalent to a 225. you probably know better!

i just bought the javelin; mine's a '68. i actually liked the 71 and 72 the best beforehand, but after seeing this one im now a fan of the early cars. i posted about it in the your-own-ride thread if you wanna read too many words about it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3032817&pagenumber=605&perpage=40#post514262362. cliffs notes is that it's a 390 4-speed, and the basics are solid, but it needs a lot of little things.

Darchangel posted:

236/60-15 is what I ran on my '70 Cutlass with 15x7 Olds Rallye Wheels.

A little sidewall bulge, but not too much.

how much drop is that? i like the stance

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

A bit too much, actually. It was supposed to be 1.5-2" as I recall, but that's not what I got. It was closer to 3".
That was when it had Edelbrock (by Eibach) front springs in it, that I got when one of the original front springs fatigued and broke. The rears are HO Racing from years ago, replacing traditional saggy-butt GM originals, The Edelbrocks, while aesthetically pleasing was about 1.5-2" too low. The front crossmember was 3" from the pavement, and the springs weren't stiff enough to keep it *off* the pavement. I've since upgraded to Hotchkis springs in front. Edelbrock only specced one spring for "small-block A-body". Hotchkis has different part numbers for Olds vs. Chevy, for example, and AC vs. non-AC. The Hotchkis springs basically level the car out.
It sits like this now:

Tires on both ends are basically at the wheel opening lip.

This was stock, BTW, with saggy original rear springs:

Probably about 1.5-2", maybe 3", between the top of the tire and the wheel arch lip.

edit: crossmember was 3.5" from the ground:

do you know what the spring rate was on the edelbrocks? i do love the stance, and my chevelle is going to be much stiffer than stock, but idk if 600lb/in springs are going to be stiff enough for 3" clearance. it does look good as hell though

i think i spec'd my springs out for 2" drop but with an extra 1.5" adjustment either way, so i guess i will see how it sits once i get it back together

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
my understanding was that the bimetal spring held the choke closed, and as the engine warmed up and as electric heat is applied, it slowly opened the choke until it was fully open

usually the "closed" position is adjustable by loosening a couple screws and turning the spring enclosure, so maybe it shipped in a position where it was always open

that said, ive only owned an electric choke for about 4 weeks now, and haven't really observed it or messed with it in that time. so i dont actually have any firsthand experience with whether im right about any of this

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
there's no audio on that clip, but id agree that it looks more like stuff burning off than an exhaust leak

if it sounds like a "fut fut fut" noise, try to wave a shop rag around near the exhaust and see if you can find a spot where a jet of exhaust is escaping and blowing around the rag. this is harder if you have a fixed mechanical engine fan

exhaust leaks can eventually lead to cracked valves due to the inrush of cold air onto hot parts, but also ive had one for decades on my truck and i havent noticed a problem yet. so imo it's one of those "fix when convenient" sorts of things

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

STR posted:

That sounds totally normal, that smoke is just crap burning off of the manifolds. Probably oil that dripped from the valve covers over the years it was parked.

Let it run awhile, it should burn most of it off. I wouldn't drive it until it stops smoking; I've had an engine fire from hammering on my old F-150 after spilling oil when doing valve cover gaskets (had a fire extinguisher and caught it early, didn't damage anything except the brake booster vacuum line and some wires).

agreed with this. also make sure all your spark plugs are tight, ive hosed this up more than once. whys it down on power and making a bunch of noise??? lol

the idle sounds normal. if you hear a louder tapping/popping when you rev it up a little bit it could still be an exhaust leak, but i dont see anything that points to that being the case in that video

if the smoke doesnt go away, youll need to figure out where the leak is coming from. i had one once where oil would run down the back of the motor onto the flexplate, and the flexplate flung the oil onto the exhaust, where it constantly made a smokescreen

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
did the second gen have rear disc brakes stock? i didnt think they did, but i also dont know f-bodies too well. if they're a retrofit, it could be that those wheels clear the original drums, but not the retrofit discs.

ive seen bolt-on spacers as small as half an inch, but like you i dont quite trust them. i would agree that longer studs and a (hub-centric! with the right size hub diameters!) small spacer should be no problem. but, ive never done it, so i definitely defer to those posters who have

the studs are easy to change, at least with the original brakes. take the caliper off, take the rotor off, and tap the old studs out with a hammer. pull the new ones on either with a special installer tool, or a flat nut with a thrust bearing, or with a flat nut and some random flat washers with grease between them, or a junk lug nut and some washers. in decreasing order of preference.

hopefully your backing plate allows for enough room somewhere to get the new studs behind it.

actually, dont the pontiac versions of the 10- and 12-bolt have bolt-in axles from the factory? if so, if there are clearance problems you can undo four bolts and pull the whole axle out for clearance. you can even press in the new studs with a hydraulic press if you wanted.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Steve French posted:

Today I got a timing light, because I haven't verified or adjusted the timing at all since we got it, and I also felt like it was idling really high, and didn't do any followup tuning on the carburetor, just sorta slapped it on. I got an Innova light that also does RPM. Didn't get around to doing any timing adjustment, but went through the adjustment steps that they sent with the carb.

Adjusted the idle mixture screws: left first, then right, turning them in until the engine ran rough, then turning them out until the RPM maxed out.

After that it was sitting at 1100 RPM or so in park, so I turned the idle screw back until it was around 700. Feels and sounds much better. Doesn't lurch forward immediately when letting off the brake, doesn't lurch when shifting into drive, and I can stop a lot easier now! Amazing what not having idle be way too high will do.

I'm not positive, but I think also that the fast idle cam might not be properly disengaging when the choke opens all the way up; I'll see again another day when I start it from cold and then give it a good warm up drive and see if it's still engaged / idle is still high.

Next steps I'm gonna take are give the whole thing a reasonable once over following all the various poo poo in the repair manual. Little things.

Little broken things that I also want to tackle:
- remote driver door release isn't working
- speedometer's borked
- tach is borked
- aftermarket tach jammed onto the steering column works poorly
- parking brake cable isn't connected on the driver side; father in law had a shop replace the calipers and pads before he gave it to us, so they must have decided not to connect it for some specific reason or neglected to, maybe the cable is all lovely and rusted, or they just couldn't be bothered to adjust it properly? Either way it'd be nice to address that.

Maybe someday I'll fill the hole in the dash with a stereo too.

Good work on the carb idle tuning. Little stuff like that always has a big impact on drivability.

As to the fast cam, you sometimes have to give the throttle a pretty big stab/blip to unload the idle stop and let it return properly. So if you're driving it gingerly, it might not be disengaging completely.

For the tach, since you have an electronic distributor, the tach (both the stock one and the lower end aftermarket ones) sometimes don't trigger off the square wave output. They look for the voltage spike from the coil field collapsing when the points open. You can buy an adapter from MSD (and probably others) to generate that waveform from a square wave output, or you can build one. IIRC, I didn't have to do all that and I was able to get by with a diode and resistor. But I installed my tach like a decade ago so I don't remember exactly. You might get lucky and not need to splash out for the expensive adapter.

For timing, I'd just completely ignore what the base/idle timing is. That's not super important. What's important is how much timing you have when the advance is "all in," i.e. the weights are all the way out and you have all of your mechanical advance. I'd suggest unplugging any vacuum advance (this can really screw with you if you don't, since there is no load on the motor when you're testing it), revving the motor up until the timing mark stops moving, and then reading the timing there. It's probably like 3000RPM or something like that. Set it to about 36°BTDC, then let idle fall wherever it's going to (and check it, so you know how much advance is in your distributor), and drive it for a while to listen for pinging. You can bump it up to 38° if you are confident in your fuel and cooling, but 36° is a safer value IMO. What I do is lug it up some hills on a hot day and listen to it, and bump it back a degree or two if I hear anything.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Steve French posted:

Awesome, thanks. The fast idle I determined not to be a problem; it was definitely doing the right thing after a short drive.

Really good to know on the tach; that seems the likely culprit though my father in law thinks the dash is from a 1975+ car; maybe the gauge cluster isn’t.

On the timing: that’s super helpful in particular; I was actually going to ask if it really made sense to set timing based on vac at idle or at a more normal operating rpm. Do you have any suggestions for holding rpm steady while making timing adjustments and taking vac readings?

personally, i operate the throttle linkage to rev the motor while shining the timing light on the balancer, then set everything down and bump the distributor, then rev it back up and check with the light again, repeat as many times as necessary. dont forget to tighten the distributor hold down when you're done, or you'll be doing it all again after you test drive it lol.

if you need to see the vacuum gauge, maybe a good spot to leave it would be on top of the air cleaner? personally i use the gauge when setting idle and when troubleshooting stuff like power valve / step up springs, but not timing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
whats your goal? autocross? tighter high speed street handling? cushy road cruising?

the best bolt-on (i.e. not a full subframe) stuff is the speedtech afx tall spindle with coilovers and tubular control arms, from what i remember. i didnt want to spend that kind of money so i pieced together some other stuff, but thats not generally what i would recommend lol

the sky's the limit if you want to go fast

McTinkerson posted:

Every rubber bushing is for sure way past it's service life. Do not put in spherical bearings. Stick with rubber, just new stuff. Maybe polyurethane but try and get rubber bushings if at all possible.

arent the modern delrin sphericals supposed to be 100% fine on the street? i hope so, cause i got a set for my car, lol. wont know for a couple years since it wont be drivable for a while, but ive read nothing but positive stuff if you want something that handles tighter than rubber

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if you want to improve handling, imo the big things are these:
  • fix the front camber geometry. this means tall spindle or tall balljoints. maybe the 2g is better off than the 1g in this respect?
  • lower ride height with stiffer springs. get rid of that stock 60s body roll. good shocks while you're in there
  • bump steer correction for the above
  • fast ratio steering box. i got a jeep unit for my A-body, not sure if it's the same on the F.
  • refresh all bushings, maybe upgrade to tubular control arms if you're already throwing some money at it. i went with tubular uppers with original lowers w/ upgraded bushings, but if you're going to go coilover imo get a lower that's designed for that

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Steve French posted:

Primary goal for now is to have the car in a state where I feel comfortable driving it and not worrying about old wear items falling apart. Secondary goal is to do a thing with a car in my garage. Performance after that, but I’d say mainly focused on somewhat but not terribly spirited road driving. I think my wife likes the idea of making it an actually fast car, which I’m willing to indulge, but just seems like such a long adventure to get it somewhere close to the RS4 we already have and can use for that. I want it for the project/driving experience enjoyment

the ridetech streetgrip package might be worth looking at, in that case, as it's sort of a "refresh" kit without going all out with spindles and tubular arms and coilovers and stuff. i would guess it would handle significantly better than stock, but not as good as you could get it if you were replacing everything.

replacing the rear leafs with a multilink coilover setup would be pretty cool, but idk how much the rear suspension is really limiting you right now

Steve French posted:

I was looking at the speed tech kits earlier and haven’t yet quite made sense of them. Budget isn’t terribly much of a concern, so I’m happy to spend whatever gets me a good outcome, but unsure which of their options would make the most sense.

yeah i know what you mean. i spent like, 9 months researching all the suspension bits for my own car, trying to figure out what was worth doing for actual performance and what was just shiny. i ended up with sort of a hodgepodge, and i dont know yet how well it's going to work!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Steve French posted:

Looking over what Speedtech, Ridetech, and Hotchkiss have, in terms of getting a full refresh without going nuts and switching out leaf springs for coils, it seems like Ridetech is pretty promising in terms of price and comprehensive upgrades.

Poking at something like:

https://www.ridetech.com/product/1970-1981-camaro-streetgrip-system/
with the control arm options as well
https://www.ridetech.com/product/1970-1981-camaro-firebird-front-lower-strongarms-stock-style-coil-spring_11172199/
https://www.ridetech.com/product/front-upper-strongarms-for-1970-1981-camaro-firebird/
along with a steering kit
https://www.ridetech.com/product/1970-1981-f-body-steering-kit-w-power-steering/

Does something like this seem reasonable? Would like to stick with bolt on, and I like the idea of doing the whole deal (front and rear springs and shocks, control arms, steering).

From skimming the repair manual along with installation instructions for these, seems there's only a couple specialized tools I'd need? I have a ball joint separator already, and beyond that, a spring compressor, puller, pickle fork?

If anyone has recommendations on additional tools I'd want, or specific versions of any of the above, would love to hear them.

I'm strongly considering pulling the trigger on something soon, along with a bridge jack for the lift, with the intent on getting a lot of this done while my wife is out of town for a while at the end of the month.

looks good to me.

you might consider looking at how much more it would be to upgrade to coilovers in front. it would involve a different lower control arm, and of course their coilover instead of the springs/shocks. looks like they don't sell a kit for that, weirdly, so it would be pieced together with arms + coilovers + swaybar + rear end stuff. would be easier to switch spring rates, or adjust ride height, or whatever in future. it is really only half a coilover, since the top fits in the frame pocket where the original spring went. if you're not gonna fuss with rates and shock adjustments and stuff, though, the kit you have is bound to be perfectly fine.

one point in ridetech's favor is they are owned by fox shocks, so they're the only ones using fox stuff for classic applications. and at least a couple years ago when i was doing research into this, fox is the best monotube gas shock available for this kind of thing.

if you do go ahead with ridetech stuff, i would suggest buying through Matt's Classic Bowties (mcbparts.com, sales@mcbparts.com). their website kind of sucks, but they are quite a bit cheaper than buying straight through ridetech or summit. and they set up a drop ship straight from ridetech. i think it was like 10% off across the board, or so? not huge, but it certainly adds up when you're buying a fat stack of gear.

i found out about them via the pro-touring forums, so i PM'd them through there asking for a quote, but you can probably just email them with an RFQ and get quoted that way. i ended up getting quite a few ridetech bits for my chevelle, and they're all still sitting in my living room lol. so i can't say how well it goes together. but the fit and finish seems very good!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Detroit Speed has the (half) coilover kit in non-, single, and double-adjustable, and even remote reservoir.
https://www.detroitspeed.com/products/suspension_and_chassis/coilovers/

About $1K for the base shocks, though.
https://www.detroitspeed.com/products/suspension_and_chassis/coilovers/parts/030313DS

They do appear to work with the stock-type control arms.

Ridetech's appear to be "normal" coilovers with top plates @ $830 Those do require the tubular lowers, looks like.

I kinda want the Ridetech Shockwave air springs on my Cutlass so I can play around with the ride height.

the ridetech ones don't use normal coilover springs, they're open at the top. but yeah, requires a coilover lower control arm. but imo that's a benefit, so the control arm can be designed for what you're actually using it for, instead of being adapters all the way down. mr french seemed to be interested in doing tubular control arms anyway, so that doesn't seem like a hurdle

that said, if he's not going to be constantly adjusting/swapping to find the right spring rate and ride height, probably just the streetgrip stuff would turn out great

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Steve French posted:

Any concerns about this spring compressor? Not really clear what to look for in an internal spring compressor, haven't noticed much difference between what I see, but am yet still a bit paranoid about using one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w80554

theres one a lot like that in the autozone loan-a-tool program, looks like. its probably fine

come to think of it though, when i did it in the past i think i just popped the upper balljoint apart with a jack under the knuckle (keep the nut partially on until after the taper is separated), and then lowered everything down until the spring was decompressed and came out. i dont remember using a spring compressor at all, although its been a few years.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i think the 455 is closer to the weight of a big block. hmm. lets see

according to some guy on the internet, the book "Practical Engine Swapping" lists these weights:
SBC = 550lbs
BBC = 625lbs
Pont. = 590' for 350-400
Pont. = 640' for 455
Buick = 450' for 350
Buick = 600' for 430-455
Olds = 600' for 330-455
SBF = 460'
BBF = 625' (FE 332-428)
SBD = 550'
BBD = 670' (383-440)
Hemi = 690'
Caddy = 600'
AMC = 540' (304-401)

so you'd be heavier than a BBC. So I'd select big block, in that case.

e: some disagreement with those numbers. another source: hotrod mag from 1977:
PONTIAC(326-455)640 lbs. SBC(262-400)575lbs. BBC(396-454)685lbs

which seems a bit more believable, since the bbc is physically bigger, it makes sense for it to be a little heavier

in that case, it could go either way!

you know, i bet the ridtech guys would be able to answer this question better than any of us, they probably have done a number of these by now

Raluek fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 4, 2022

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
what was the advice from ridetech? that the original 400/455 was closer to the big block, so only use the small block springs if you were gonna ls swap?

i just hope that the ride height isnt too tall if the springs are expecting another 50lb

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
now that i think about it, if you still have the iron intake and manifolds and stuff like that, it might be about the same weight as a BBC with an aluminum intake and headers. i wonder if they take factory weights, or typical enthusiast upgrade configurations when they figure that stuff out

yeah worst case you can cut the springs or just throw another set in there. i think muscle/pony cars look best when dumped super low, but on the other hand, doing that with a softer spring rate seems like a poor choice. so getting the stiffer big block rate is probably a good call from a handling point of view

of course, saying all that, if i drove two T/As back to back, one with small block springs and one with big block springs, idk if i would be able to tell the difference from the drivers seat. they are probably not that far off

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Ridetech’s website and the PDF instructions for the coil overs disagree without you.
There is an upper perch on the shock body.

https://www.ridetech.com/product/1970-1981-chevy-camaro-firebird-coilover-front-system-single-adjustable/

Bonus there is that they should be a standard diameter and of the springs turn out to be too heavy for the 455, they can be fairly easily replaced, though I agree with others that while the 455 isn’t technically a “big block” it’s close enough.

hmm, you are right. i guess i was thinking of the style used by QA1 and others:

i don't like the way ridetech does it, because it puts the whole weight of the vehicle on those little shock mount bolt holes in the frame. there's not much surface area to spread that out, and it feels more sketchy than a proper eye mount in double shear to a gusseted bracket. i mean, ridetech has mechanical engineers, its probably fine, but i dont like it.

i thought they did it the other way, cause that way you would get a lot more surface area contact with the frame to hold the weight, and you still get height adjustment at the bottom. but then the downside is spring availability.

really i dont see a good solution unless you cut out all the stock stuff and weld on upper mounts designed for coilovers.

my gut feeling is probably wrong on this, so if you know better then please share.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
agreed with ioc.

i think i would pop the balljoints off their tapers, jack the LCA up to take the spring weight, take the UCA off, take the knuckle off the LCA, slowly lower the LCA until the spring falls out (make sure the car is high enough for this!), then unbolt the LCA. installation is the opposite of removal, lol.

Steve French posted:

Here’s a random piece of rubber on top of the upper control arm. Guessing it is meant to bump into the top of the wheel well under full compression? Don’t think it’s doing much anymore. Will be gone with new UCA anyway.

there's a rubber bumpstop underneath the UCA that hits the frame at full droop. i think that's the barbed part that pushes through the control arm and holds it in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
it looks like it's off the bottom of the spring perch, it's just hung up at the back, right? looks like the control arm still has further it can pivot to free it. i don't remember it being any real hassle getting the old springs out on either my chevelle or impala, but it has been a few years since i did it.

from what i can see in the photos, there's not much compression left, the inside corner just can't get around the hump in the middle of the perch.

if it was me, i would probably start yanking on stuff down there, see if i can feel how much force the spring is putting on the control arm, and if it can be dislodged by hand. however i am rather foolhardy, so i completely understand if you don't feel comfortable doing that.