Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
inside bolt with cracked slapper-bar: :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Steve French posted:

Good eye, but it’s not cracked as far as I can tell. Just notched for some reason

You're cracked in at least three places; the top two in the image are contributing to number three in the bottom. You have about a year before they go critical from what I can see.

e: there's a fourth on the second rib up high in the weld similar to number one, and it wouldn't surprise me if there's not a fifth in the same spot on the rear rib.

ee: if number two is a "notch" it shouldn't be there period. Full stop.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 13, 2021

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Just trying to look out for you, those bars should come off and be blasted and inspected, and I'd look real hard at the other side. You don't want one coming off at 40mph and ruining your day. Also, look real hard at the holes where the attachment bolts and hardware go through, just by the look and use of... hardware, I'd very much suspect the holes the bolts go through have radial cracks coming off of them.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

LloydDobler posted:

You're seeing shadows that look like cracks. But good looking out, and yeah sandblasting and powdercoating would be on the menu if he wants to re-use them later.

That looks like super mild steel done by a place making them semi-bespoke in the early 90's. And that's what worries me, especially with the notch, the wall-eyed look of the bolts and hardware without using reinforcement to keep them from overtightening and bending that way, the use of box-tube without closed-ends, and the use of single-side welds on the outside of L-brackets instead of using bent+gusseted or double-welded seams.

Hopefully I'm seeing shadows :) but I want everyone's guts and brains to stay on the inside, and a 70 Bird to stay unfucked by a shop from the 80's-90's fabrication practices.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 13, 2021

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Steve French posted:

They're definitely not cracks; the lower spot you highlighted was a bit of cobweb. The upper right spot was as I showed in the last photo a notch, which is consistent and present on both traction bars, on both sides of them, clearly just how they were built for some reason (not in any way suggesting they are well built, just not cracked. The third spot you highlighted though, also not a crack, but uhhh not looking normal. It was again a shadow, but cast off this little bit here:

which does _not_ look like it should be there, along with this other, bigger, notch, and is not at all present on the other bar:

and then on the other side:

In any case, I've taken it off and already had no intent of putting it back on, so this just reinforced that decision. Thanks for looking out.

Right on! I'm sorry for being paranoid, I'd rather be paranoid and wrong, rather than overlook something, and someone gets hurt or their poo poo gets wrecked.