Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
The tag's a pretty good indicator that it's got an LSD. There should be some casting marks on the axle tubes somewhere but I'm not sure where they are on the BOP rear ends. You can always pull the cover and take a peek at the carrier.

Edit: Check on the front of the passenger side axle tube.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I don't know how much the F-bodies changed from gen 1 to gen 2, but for gen 1s (which are identical to my gen 3 X-body), you don't need spring compressors. When I did mine, I put a jack under the lower arm (car on stands, obviously), undid the arm mounting bolts, and lowered the whole thing down. You can pop the lower ball joint if you want, but I didn't need to do that. Just be smooth with your jack movements and the spring will basically just fall out.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Steve French posted:

Interesting. I was just going off of the instructions in the repair manual I’ve got (and various online guides). Seems like this is basically the same with the spring compressor step added. I imagine it wouldn’t hurt to add that step? Unless I’m more worried about releasing tension with the spring compressor vs the floor jack.

I’m also realizing it’ll be a little annoying to do this with the car on the lift, as getting a floor jack in position with the control arms halfway over the lift platform is meh

Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I did minus the spring compressor. Hell, last time I had to do it I didn't even take the wheel off because I was feeling extra lazy. Wouldn't recommend it, but it is physically possible. I actually rented a compressor the first time I took it all apart and kind of came to the conclusion that it was more hassle (for me, anyway) than it's worth. Your situation will definitely be a bit different with a lift, though. It may actually be easier to put the car on some stands and let gravity help you out a bit.

A tip on ball joints, though: skip the pickle forks. There's a GM tool for separating ball joints that works on a very different principle and it's much more efficient. I made my own and went over it here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3651725&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post465158596

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I literally bought my first ratcheting wrenches for installing leaf springs. gently caress that job without them.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Your F body is pretty much the same animal as my X body, just wearing a different shirt. The way your spring is now, there's a little tension in there and it'll make a break for it if you yank that arm down a bit more and stick a pry bar in the spring, but it probably won't be as violent as you're expecting. You can probably get that out of there without any bodily harm assuming you're standing behind the flopped down control arm when you bust it free.

For the other side, I'd approach things a bit differently. Put your floor jack under the lower arm and give it some pressure, but put it more towards the inside of the arm. Leave the ball joint, but undo the 2 bolts holding the arm to the subframe. Then slowly lower that jack. This will let the spring stretch out pretty much straight down instead of having the bottom of it turn towards the center of the car as the arm pivots. Once you get to where the spring is fully relaxed, you should be able to drop the jack completely and the spring should literally fall right out. Last time I did this on my car I didn't even take the wheel off. Wouldn't recommend that necessarily, but disconnecting the inboard side of the arm first definitely made things a bit calmer on spring removal.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Steve French posted:

I have a spring compressor, though the internal style. This one, specifically: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W80554 I was going to use it as a fallback, but it was a giant pain in the rear end to try to get that on with the ball joints still attached. So much of the ends of the spring weren't accessible, and it was compressed enough that there was barely enough clearance for the jaws to fit through the spring, and if I got it on there the two sets of jaws would have been so close together I was skeptical it would accomplish much of anything anyway.

You say don't get the "strut" compressor, but is the one you linked not a strut compressor?

This was the order of things that the repair manual suggests, except with a spring compressor. When doing it that way, is there not some load on the bolts holding the arm to the subframe when the spring is under compression? The idea of doing it that way made me more nervous with removal of two of three points, and thinking that would potentially make things a lot less stable while the spring is compressed.

Your experience with the "inside" spring compressor mirrors mine. Makes it difficult when the top of the spring is buried up inside the subframe.

Obviously, the spring is imparting some load on the arm mount bolts, but I was able to overcome that pretty easily with the floor jack under the arm and then poke the bolts out with a socket extension. Just be nice and slow when you're lowing the arm and there should be very little violence. The first time I removed one of the springs, I did it balljoint first after I'd removed the subframe from the car. My pants escaped the encounter unscathed, but my eyebrows definitely went up when that coil got its first taste of freedom.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Piece of cake. Nice job. And shorter springs are easier to install :v:.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Darchangel posted:

"Some" bushings. Maybe even most of them!

Yeah, subframes and the like tend to collect gravel and dirt. Like little mini-excavators, they are. Love that random nut there on the right. "Theeeeere's where that went!"
Pretty sure the front crossmember on my Cutlass harbors a small hardware store by this point.

:hmmyes:

One of the worst garage sounds: a dropped fastener pinging off stuff and then NOT hitting the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Clean Parts Go On Cars. A good scrub down and a coat of semi-gloss goes a long way.