Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Oh boy, I've been looking for an opportunity to get back into writing COBOL after all these decades. Also sometimes I yearn for the sweet embrace of death.

Seriously though, there is a serious kick to be had out of manhandling a genuine behemoth like an IBM mainframe, and for young folks who didnt get the chance to grow up in a mainframe teaching environment theres some serious credibility to be added to the resume (as well as someinframe drat fine paying jobs potentially, something we all can appreciate in this trashbag economy) by learning the ropes of one of these computational godzillas.

(My first mainframe was the University of WA's Vax mainframe. You can now emulate it on a raspberry pi at dramatically better performance. Still at the time it was a beast.)

duck monster fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

an AOL chatroom posted:

Nice. COBOL is definitely a language that does not mess around. I know enough of it to respect it, and seeing what the pros can do with very few lines of code is quite amazing. Let me know if I can help with anything if you attempt it again this year.

There is no such thing as a COBOL program with 'very few lines of code'.

Its got to be the most verbose language I've ever countered, like take pascals verbosity and multiply it by ten. Only NATURAL-4G comes close imho

The only thing its really missing is INTERCALs politeness operators (So yeah, you don't have to use PLEASE and THANKYOU commands lol. But I'm sure they considered it!)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

an AOL chatroom posted:

This duck monster speaks the truth. Someone from these very forums pulled this off:
https://twitter.com/mainframed767/status/1301888504373207041

To be clear, he's mocking this guy:
https://twitter.com/brianroemmele/status/1257832168455208963?lang=en

who got a little ahead of himself, but is still an enlightening read

When my grandfather, who was an old VAX fanatic, was dying I had a project to build a tiny little vax mainframe on a beagleboard (a predecessor of the Pi). I was gonna build a case out of balsa and everything. Sadly the old boy succumbed to his cancer before i really got anywhere into the project.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

the 88 thing is weirdly forward looking for a language like Cobol. I mean its basically the mutant love child of pattern matching and enums.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

holy poo poo there is a vscode extension to work with now?

I did the 2019 edition to start learning about mainframes after I had a chat with one of my professors about it, and there is something really appealing for me about mainframes which I think is similar to how trucks are appealing to some drivers hahaha

a question, though: now that I am back to a more regular schedule of study, my professor suggested to me that I stick with learning it since I have this interest, which is rare nowadays in his opinion. Given how mainframe operation and programming isn't in the forefront of what people think about working with computer nowadays, I agree, but I have no idea how long it takes to land a job in that specialization. Any thoughts?

Combine a knowledge of mainframes and cobol with a knowledge of Java and there is an infinite amount of work out there on projects porting old hosed up mainframe software to new hosed up mainframe software. You'll hate life by 30! You'll be paid enough to develop an expensive drug habit to offset that fear and loathing. Win win!

duck monster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 5, 2021