Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
It's possible, but not certain. I'm just hedging my bets. If I'm wrong, I have extra preps that don't expire soon at all. If I'm right and we're without power for a few days or weeks, I'll be better prepared to deal with no power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

In any event, we’re in an El Niño right now, and it seems like a good chunk of the eastern US could be in for the first snowy winter we’ve had in almost a decade, which means supply chain disruptions along the I-95 corridor that could compound and turn into lengthy delays/shortages for staples.

Have any of you been involved with Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT?) Anecdotal reviews of people’s experiences with them make it seem like it’s retirees with nothing to do or people who couldn’t get into either a fire or police academy. I’m not too keen on hanging out with either type but I am looking to get more involved with my community on a local basis. My local mutual aid group seems more interested in housing issues, which is all laudable and good, but doesn’t seem to be focused on community resilience or recovery.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Jackery has a Black Friday deal with some major discounts on various battery backups. 1000w Power Station is at $650 right now.

Anyone have any opinions on these? I'm sorely tempted, but I've had only one brief power outage in the last four years and worry it'll just sit in my closet, gathering dust and losing capacity. It'd certainly be handy to have around if Seattle finally gets hit by a major earthquake, but :shrug:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I have a 400w Anker model that's about 7 years old, I pull it out and check the charge once a year or so and it's usually still around 90%. Unless you're cycling it a ton it's not going to lose capacity just sitting there, and in an extended outage it's real nice to have something you can plug normal poo poo into along with all of your mobile devices. They're also handy for car camping if you're into that kinda thing.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Anyone have any recommendations for a car battery jumper pack? I’m heading into some serious cold this weekend and want to make sure I have a way to breathe some life back into my battery if it freezes, or help out one of my friends should they need it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the standard issue costco one has been o.k. for me, but I did have to repair some of the internal wiring when I changed the battery out.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Usually a trickle charger is best for preventing cold weather battery problems. For your friends, your own vehicle is the simpliest option to helping them out.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

nah, jump starting a car with a little battery pack is a million times safer and easier than jump starting a car with another car. also poo poo happens like dome lights being left on. mine has an air compressor too and that's gotten way more use than the battery charger part

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a car battery jumper pack? I’m heading into some serious cold this weekend and want to make sure I have a way to breathe some life back into my battery if it freezes, or help out one of my friends should they need it.
Your battery isn't going to freeze unless it's completely dead, but freezing weather can weaken it especially if it's old. Project Farm reviewed some jump packs a few months ago, imo. they're a good thing to keep in your trunk year-round. Whatever you get make sure you size it appropriately for all the engines you might need to start.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got a small portable charger for my Highlander. It works… okay. Trick is this model requires letting it sit for a bit before you can attempt starting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Voice of Labor posted:

nah, jump starting a car with a little battery pack is a million times safer and easier than jump starting a car with another car. also poo poo happens like dome lights being left on. mine has an air compressor too and that's gotten way more use than the battery charger part

....I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion, since the same risks exist with the little battery pack as do so with jumping from another vehicle, and the other vehicle's battery is far far less likely to burst into flames due to overloading.

If you can't get + to + and - to - or Chassis Ground/Metal, both of them are risky.

Really, just get a battery maintainer for winter, especially if your battery is more than a few years old, a good winter freeze will likely deplete it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CommieGIR posted:

a good winter freeze will likely deplete it.

Thankfully this is becoming less and less of an issue

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Yeah we haven't gotten much snow this year at all. Temperatures have been mild even compared to last winter.

Things are not great!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

....I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion,

you don't have to position two cars to where they're kissing

you only have 2 leads you need to clip on to the correct terminals and not have them slip off, not 4

the battery charger things will shut off if they're connected to the wrong way or if there's a short

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 9, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

you don't have to position two cars to where they're kissing

you only have 2 leads you need to clip on to the correct terminals and not have them slip off, not 4

the battery charger things will shut off if they're connected to the wrong way or if there's a short

1. Yeah, that's nice

2. If you cannot figure out Red to + on both sides and black to - on both sides, probably aren't gonna be doing much better with a jump pack

3. A nice feature, but again if you are wiring it wrong anyways, probably don't need to be playing with a jump pack either.

McNally posted:

Thankfully this is becoming less and less of an issue

I don't know if 'thankfully' is the right word for Global Warming, unless you mean AGM versus standard lead acid batteries.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I settled on a supercapacitor-based charger (Schumacher DS1) since the summer heat here will kill lithium batteries fast. Supposedly, it can charge fully even from a nearly dead car battery (plus wall charger or USB).

Of course, the one time I needed it, it turned out to be a dud, and I had to break out the jumper cables anyway. You better believe I'm going to test the warranty replacement as soon as it arrives.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

1. Yeah, that's nice

2. If you cannot figure out Red to + on both sides and black to - on both sides, probably aren't gonna be doing much better with a jump pack

3. A nice feature, but again if you are wiring it wrong anyways, probably don't need to be playing with a jump pack either.

I don't know if 'thankfully' is the right word for Global Warming, unless you mean AGM versus standard lead acid batteries.

1 is a way bigger deal than "yeah that's nice". popping one hood and carrying over a device, in the dark, in the rain, in the snow, in the mud, in cramped spaces, kicks rear end over trying to maneuver a car.

2 and 3 are comparatively minor life improvements, but an extra circuit or two as a fail safe against corroded terminals, poorly marked poo poo or general error, in the dark, in the rain, in the snow, are still nothing to scoff at.

between a reliable, easy jump and the ability to pump up a flat tire, two of the most common bad car things are reduced to totally painless inconveniences. the benefit for 10 pounds of weight, a quarterly charging, and a small backpack's worth of trunk space are genuinely profound. if you wish to decry the jumpstarter, I can think of no better punishment for your wrongness than for you to not have one.

goon day, sir!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Modern jump packs fit in your glove box and only weigh a pound or two, and a lot of them have flashlights and USB charging on board as well. Got good use out of mine, mostly helping other people.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CommieGIR posted:

1. Yeah, that's nice

It sure sounds like you're agreeing that these devices are safer than jumping from another car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Atticus_1354 posted:

It sure sounds like you're agreeing that these devices are safer than jumping from another car.

Nope, I think they are equally as safe.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CommieGIR posted:

Nope, I think they are equally as safe.

You just acknowledged that it has safety features that function to protect inexperienced people who do it wrong. That literally makes it safer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Atticus_1354 posted:

You just acknowledged that it has safety features that function to protect inexperienced people who do it wrong. That literally makes it safer.

Y'know at some point its a matter of - maybe they need to learn how to do it properly regardless - the idea that a jump pack solves the issues of basic automotive knowledge is my problem with it.

Yes, I'll admit - having the reverse polarity sensing is great. At this point I'm dropping this because I'm wrong, but learning some basic knowledge and not going nuts under the hood of your vehicles probably is just as easy as having reverse polarity sensing. If you are worried about reversing the polarity on your car - don't try to jump start it or follow the directions in your manual.

Reverse polarity sensing is not a substitute for basic car knowledge.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

In the end, I got this Clore JNC 325 unit because it was well-reviewed, compact and lightweight.

https://cloreautomotive.com/product/jnc325/

Here’s to hoping I won’t need to use it on my car or my friends but I’ll feel better having it in my vehicle for sure.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Sliding in juuuust a little late with this, but... maybe it helps someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXyoIBJyJA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've got a NOCO jumper that's been useful a few times; I've jumped up to a 327 V8 with it. Also recommend a Battery Tender or similar trickle charger, especially for the price. If it saves you from replacing your battery ONCE, it's paid for itself 3-5 times over.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Crampons. Really useful if you live in an area that ices over in the winter.

I got a pair of YaxTrax Diamond Grips and they've been great here n Portland during its ice storm.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CommieGIR posted:

Y'know at some point its a matter of - maybe they need to learn how to do it properly regardless - the idea that a jump pack solves the issues of basic automotive knowledge is my problem with it.

Yes, I'll admit - having the reverse polarity sensing is great. At this point I'm dropping this because I'm wrong, but learning some basic knowledge and not going nuts under the hood of your vehicles probably is just as easy as having reverse polarity sensing. If you are worried about reversing the polarity on your car - don't try to jump start it or follow the directions in your manual.

Reverse polarity sensing is not a substitute for basic car knowledge.

Yeah kids don't understand computer filesystems anymore either, it's a funny ol world

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Kesper North posted:

Yeah kids don't understand computer filesystems anymore either, it's a funny ol world

Is it good or bad that most millennials/Gen Z/Alpha won't appreciate how good they have it for never having to worry about the order of entries in their config.sys/autoexec.bat just to squeeze that last bit of RAM out of DOS?

Come to think of it, I may have actually spent more time test booting my machine than playing games.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Winter driving fun and a lesson learnt: I spent last weekend cross-country skiing, and on my way out of town, I needed to make a u-turn to account for a missed turn. Spying a parking lot that looked plowed and sanded, I pulled in, and promptly got stuck in six inches of fresh snow atop a thin layer of ice. I couldn't get any traction whatsoever, despite my car having all-wheel drive. Fortunately, a guy with a huge pick-up truck and heavy duty straps was able to pull me out by my rear trailer hitch and my drive home went without incident, but it demonstrates the need to either have traction mats, chains, winter tires or all three if you're driving in snow. It was deceptive as the main roads in this area were fine to drive on, especially in a car with AWD, but once you got off the main roads, it could be icy and dicey as poo poo in some areas.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks for reminding me that I should put a couple sandbags in the trunk of my Highlander for traction.

Also moved my care care bag back in, tho I need to put my E-tool in as well.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Jonny Quest posted:

Is it good or bad that most millennials/Gen Z/Alpha won't appreciate how good they have it for never having to worry about the order of entries in their config.sys/autoexec.bat just to squeeze that last bit of RAM out of DOS?

Come to think of it, I may have actually spent more time test booting my machine than playing games.

driving home today I realized that optical mice have been a thing for more than 20 years. kids today would only snicker were you to tell them that mice used to have balls and that you'd periodically have to clean them

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

driving home today I realized that optical mice have been a thing for more than 20 years. kids today would only snicker were you to tell them that mice used to have balls and that you'd periodically have to clean them

Early optical mice were absolute poo poo for gaming though, if you were playing anything where precision and speed both mattered (as in any FPS).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
You don't have an emergency DOS boot disk with a backup of your MBR, CONFIG.SYS, and AUTOEXEC.BAT? Do you even prep, bro?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discussion Quorum posted:

You don't have an emergency DOS boot disk with a backup of your MBR, CONFIG.SYS, and AUTOEXEC.BAT? Do you even prep, bro?

3.5" and 5.25", scrub :smug:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Shooting Blanks posted:

3.5" and 5.25", scrub :smug:

Look at this jerk not making use of Bernoulli Boards. The superior data disk format.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Can anyone recommend a lithium-ion battery pack suitable for medical applications? Primary purpose is to power my CPAP during outages. Amazon has a gazillion of them but they're all from drop-shippers and I have no idea what their quality control is like, don't want to burn the house down in my sleep.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure how big you need but I have some Anker ones that haven’t burned down my house yet. They are like 10-13k mAh.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

A 500W Jackery works for my S10 bipap with nearly 50% charge remaining when I wake up. I use it while camping. If you go that route, get a DC power adapter so you don’t have to pay the power cost of the AC conversion; in my case with the AC adapter it would drain the thing in a couple of hours.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Steely Dad posted:

A 500W Jackery works for my S10 bipap with nearly 50% charge remaining when I wake up. I use it while camping. If you go that route, get a DC power adapter so you don’t have to pay the power cost of the AC conversion; in my case with the AC adapter it would drain the thing in a couple of hours.

Now that's some jackery! :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Can anyone recommend a lithium-ion battery pack suitable for medical applications? Primary purpose is to power my CPAP during outages. Amazon has a gazillion of them but they're all from drop-shippers and I have no idea what their quality control is like, don't want to burn the house down in my sleep.

How much power do your devices use and how many days between recharges?