Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I'm upgrading my vague suspicion of ardern to actual hatred and loathing at this point, she's gone full mask off within 24 hours lol

this election (and tbh the 2017 government) has really turned me off labour in general. i attribute this partly to them being psycho neolibs who actively want the left-er parties to fail, and partly to a moderate case of cspam brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

redleader posted:

this election (and tbh the 2017 government) has really turned me off labour in general. i attribute this partly to them being psycho neolibs who actively want the left-er parties to fail, and partly to a moderate case of cspam brain

:same: except probably upgrade me to an extreme case of cspam brain

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Ardern bangs on about meaningful change having to be done incrementally, otherwise it shits the bed. Similar to Obama or Aunty Helen argue

Idk, maybe give the cspam brain a rest and wait until she at least forms a government to see what happens?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Gentle Autist posted:

Ardern bangs on about meaningful change having to be done incrementally, otherwise it shits the bed. Similar to Obama or Aunty Helen argue

Idk, maybe give the cspam brain a rest and wait until she at least forms a government to see what happens?

she can incrementally change herself into someone who walks into the ocean so Chloe can run poo poo

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Gentle Autist posted:

hmm i feel like something happened after helen lost the 2008 election and obama's term ended

almost like a decade of tory misrule that reversed every incremental gain made or something but it happened so long ago i can't remember

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gentle Autist posted:

She got reelected and immediately ruled out two things that would actually change something at all. So yeah it could be incrementalism, if the increments are so small as to be imperceptible.

Oorrrr she's entirely focused on maintaining the status quo with a kind face because her party is just as full of landlords as national...nah

Oh and why does progressive poo poo have to be incremental but regressive bullshit always happens in big chunks? It's almost like the whole concept of incrementalism is a way to do nothing while defusing people's anger.

Slavvy has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Oct 18, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quote is not edit!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I'd rather have Chloe running things too but although I have intense self loathing like any self respecting online leftist I am also not willing to go into full flagellation mode less than 48 hours after a pretty good election result

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

The government of Savage didn’t do it in an incremental fashion. They just got stuck in and did it. The results made NZ a better place to live for decades afterwards. The issues we are facing will also need a massive shift, not just incremental tinkering to achieve a positive outcome. Not to mention things like child poverty are having very real and dreadful impact on people’s lives today. Do we tell them to be patient and lose important years in their life while we slowly implement small changes that will get reversed as soon as National has the treasury benches?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Gentle Autist posted:

I'm telling my brain to shut up for a while and wait to see what government she forms

Unrelated but I'm sort of surprised there's no blood on the floor yet for National. Maybe the beating they got shocked even the rats

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Varkk posted:

The government of Savage didn’t do it in an incremental fashion. They just got stuck in and did it. The results made NZ a better place to live for decades afterwards. The issues we are facing will also need a massive shift, not just incremental tinkering to achieve a positive outcome. Not to mention things like child poverty are having very real and dreadful impact on people’s lives today. Do we tell them to be patient and lose important years in their life while we slowly implement small changes that will get reversed as soon as National has the treasury benches?

I completely agree, I'd rather see a top down systemic change too. I'm just saying what I heard Ardern talking about on her interview with Katherine Ryan on the Friday before the election

Coming back to NZ after 10 years away (pretty much the whole National5 govt) and seeing people living in cars and the rivers unswimmable was profoundly shocking and disgusting for me. There's no good reason a modern prosperous country like NZ can't ensure a good quality of life for everyone

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

I'd rather have Chloe running things too but although I have intense self loathing like any self respecting online leftist I am also not willing to go into full flagellation mode less than 48 hours after a pretty good election result

cspam: where the highs are low and the lows are crushing

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Gentle Autist posted:

I completely agree, I'd rather see a top down systemic change too. I'm just saying what I heard Ardern talking about on her interview with Katherine Ryan on the Friday before the election

Coming back to NZ after 10 years away (pretty much the whole National5 govt) and seeing people living in cars and the rivers unswimmable was profoundly shocking and disgusting for me. There's no good reason a modern prosperous country like NZ can't ensure a good quality of life for everyone

There’s a good reason

Chinese property investors are just better people, to politicians

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We COULD meet everyone's basic needs but that would necessitate obliterating the housing market, which is sacred.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

as the minimum bar for me saying "jacinda may be ok i guess", all she has to do is nationalise all rental properties

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Property prices are starting to run away again similar to what they did 2012-2016, and any of the changes that the land owning class in NZ will allow Jacinda to make without calling her mean names, even the most drastic, won't actually start to have any impact for another 3-5 years because it's all supply-side tinkering. By that time median house prices in Auckland will have jumped another 500k and Labour will have lost the opportunity to put the brakes on the primary driver of inequality in NZ.

poo poo needs to change now, is what I'm saying.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the family home of my best friend, who lived in a lovely backwater rural town cost them about $40k in 1996.

yesterday I saw it for sale with offers over $420,000.

it looks like it has some new carpet, new paint job and a new kitchen put in

that’s it.

property is wealth.

savings in this country is poo poo. banks make no money on savings. just the percentage of their offshore borrowings they lend to you for your half a million dollar mortgage for a tiny house with a new kitchen in the middle of no where.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The problem with "incremental change so that it sticks" is that the change that happens isn't enough to meet the problem before the government is voted out for failing to deliver on their promises and the next government of course has their own plan on how to fix the problem so those incremental changes either continue as abandoned projects without the necessary funding or they get completely dumpstered. This failure of incremental policies is of course why the government wants to increase the term to four years, because they do know there's a problem with delivering fundamentally non-transformative nature of incremental changes in the face of the increasingly pressing issues of the modern world, they just think the issue is that they're not getting enough time before the next government discards the progress they've made rather than that change needs to be delivered and proved in the time they're in government so that it can't be discarded.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

nice tho, should've added $69 to the asking price

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

offers over 420...maybe I’ll put in a cheeky 420 069 offer

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i feel like the banks get a free ride on house price inflation. they could put a stop to runaway price growth pretty much instantly by just refusing to lend at shitso valuations. they have zero incentive to do so, the more people borrow, the more they make. and we all suffer in the meantime

building more quality houses is hard to argue against but the money supply is loving out of whack. if we could reign that in somehow it feels like it would make a big difference

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

the family home of my best friend, who lived in a lovely backwater rural town cost them about $40k in 1996.

yesterday I saw it for sale with offers over $420,000.

it looks like it has some new carpet, new paint job and a new kitchen put in

that’s it.

property is wealth.

savings in this country is poo poo. banks make no money on savings. just the percentage of their offshore borrowings they lend to you for your half a million dollar mortgage for a tiny house with a new kitchen in the middle of no where.

the same thing's happening in canada and australia too i think

housing has become a depository of value rather than a thing to live in and global capital is allowed to slosh around to where it wants unfettered; consequences

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Of the 51 MPs that voted against the final reading of the abortion bill, 21 (41%) are gone. 16 voted out, 5 from resignations.

Assuming each party's voting proportions remain the same, if the vote was taken now the result would be
83 for (69%), 35 against (29%), 1 absent, (+ 1 unknown) vs. the actual result of
68 for (56%), 51 against (42%), 1 absent.

Interesting series of facts:
Every party with a majority in favour gained seats, every party with a majority against lost seats
National had 35% of their MPs vote in favour, they now have 35 MPs, and there's 35 against with the adjusted proportions, spooky
NZ First would also have had 0% in favour and 0 MPs if Tracey Martin and Jenny Marcroft hadn't crossed the floor, so thanks for ruining it

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Of the 24 MPs still in parliament who voted against gay marriage, 9 are gone. 6 voted out, 3 resignations. Leaving 15 of the total 44.

If the vote was held again with the same proportions it would pass
90 (75%) to 30 (25%) vs. the original vote of
77 (63%) to 44 (36%)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Reading through this thread after the election has been very heartwarming, I can't wait for another couple weeks when we do the same for the referenda

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This is probably dumb but I'm really hopeful about the weed referendum now. Both the CB and Reid polls had it failing, but they also significantly understated Labour support (by ~3.5%) and overstated National support (by ~5.5%), as well as likely underestimating youth turnout which was up 4% on last election. Given that National voters were the largest No group and Labour voters/under 35s the largest Yes groups in their respective demographic breakdowns, I would put money on it passing.

This also means I'm going to be crushingly disappointed when it fails. Will probably want to smoke some weed to console myself.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

your analysis is sound.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The CB 10-14 Oct poll report (page 15) mentions some more granular demographics behind their headline 41/51 number:

quote:

Those groups of voters who are more likely than average (41%) to support the Cannabis Legalisation and Control Bill include:

- Green party supporters (79%)
- Those aged 18-29 (65%)
- Māori (63%)
- Labour party supporters (54%).

Those groups of voters who are more likely than average (51%) to not support the Cannabis Legalisation and Control Bill include:

- National party supporters (74%)
- Men aged 55+ (69%)
- Women aged 55+ (64%).

For that report, CB polled 400 people over landline and 600 over mobile. CB would need to account for those 400 landline havers being disproportionately old (and per above, disproportionately voting no) when distilling the above per-demographic stats to a final estimated result. In other words, they'd need to guess how many of each demographic will actually vote to come to the final 41/51 that they got. If they were lazy, they might just assume the same turnout demographics as 2017, with some possible tweaks like assuming X% more National voters would stay home. But CB's turnout guesses are probably considered proprietary, and we'll probably know whether weed passed before the 2020 voter demographics get released anyway.

Meanwhile the last Reid and Roy Morgan polls don't really give any additional detail beyond the final results (or not for free in any case). Reid headlines their report with "Our quality standards are open to the ultimate scrutiny!" which is a bit odd given how little information they publish.

So no real answers here but the above per-demographic stats, combined with assumptions against the 2017 turnout demographics, could probably be extrapolated to make your own estimate.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i celebrated the weed referendum on election night personally

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Tova gets exclusives now that she yelled at guy who got 13 votes and has reported mental health problems

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

eh, i don't think anyone didn't see that coming

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
hope they like losing in 2023

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This except it'll be a beers and barbie fascist.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Egg Zealand.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What time on Friday are the referendum results supposed to be released?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

4.20pm

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

the real answer is that the electoral commission will do a press release at 2pm