Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bike tory posted:

the real answer is that the electoral commission will do a press release at 2pm

(4)2pm(0)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:hmmyes:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

if it passes how long until we can buy weed in a store? asking for a friend who is getting dangerously low on supply

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
legislation would need to be introduced, no doubt held up by conservative freaks at select committee, and passed. they'd presumably develop the regulations in parallel. there might also be a later commencement date so they can set up the new control agency etc.

so 6 months maybe??? would really depend how high-priority it is on the agenda.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
A while. It still has to go through parliament and select committee process.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Probably like a year, if it even passes.

The government doesn't even exist at the moment and there's like a dozen sittings left in the year. The legislation still has to be passed, the licensing regime set up, then the licensed growers established since almost all the existing ones will be explicitly barred from entering the market.

I'm in the same situation. Covid's been a real spanner.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah the timeframe I've seen is more like a year at least. The growers will need time to source seeds and grow the plants too, so 6-8 weeks at the very earliest from the bill becoming law to the shops even having something to sell, plus however long it takes to get through whatever licensing process they put in place. In theory, anyway.

And if overseas examples are anything to go by, people will be getting tried and prosecuted right up until the day before the bill becomes law.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
if it passes, we'll probably have weed by election day 2023

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

it'd be cool if they passed a law decriminalising the demon weed in the interim, but if they were cool they wouldn't be labour

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ghostlight posted:

then the licensed growers established since almost all the existing ones will be explicitly barred from entering the market.

Don’t be so sure, the proposed legislation addresses this. I mean, lots might not be able to pass other aspects of the licensing system, but FWIW:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i wasn't expecting it the next day but a year? god drat lol very cool

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Don’t be so sure, the proposed legislation addresses this. I mean, lots might not be able to pass other aspects of the licensing system, but FWIW:

These are the things that stand out to me:

The weasel words "the following convictions, on their own, do not disqualify" - meaning they can, in addition to other factors, be considered disqualifying.

A "conviction for the sale and supply or possession to supply cannabis … under section 6(1)(c) to (f)" - note that it doesn't include 6(a) [import/export] or 6(b) [production/manufacture]. So middle-class suburbanite sellers, good to go. People with existing experience running grow operations at scale, almost certainly get out.

Additionally, Schedule 3 provides a complete blanket ban for anybody convicted within the last ten years of "participation in a criminal group" - a criminal group is three or more people organising to commit any crime that is punishable by more than 4 years in prison, which is incidentally every cannabis offense. Again, sellers are probably fine but organised growers probably not.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

These are the things that stand out to me:

The weasel words "the following convictions, on their own, do not disqualify" - meaning they can, in addition to other factors, be considered disqualifying.

A "conviction for the sale and supply or possession to supply cannabis … under section 6(1)(c) to (f)" - note that it doesn't include 6(a) [import/export] or 6(b) [production/manufacture]. So middle-class suburbanite sellers, good to go. People with existing experience running grow operations at scale, almost certainly get out.

Additionally, Schedule 3 provides a complete blanket ban for anybody convicted within the last ten years of "participation in a criminal group" - a criminal group is three or more people organising to commit any crime that is punishable by more than 4 years in prison, which is incidentally every cannabis offense. Again, sellers are probably fine but organised growers probably not.

If the referendum passes you should put this into a submission to the select committee

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I’m just waiting for the “I don’t want to move there anymore” comments after it fails

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Where’s the website with the countdown timer to weed and death?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.electionresults.govt.nz/electionresults_2020_preliminary/referendums-results.html

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hmmm

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

NZ Votes 2020:No weed, only death.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

NZ Votes 2020: Give me death

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

NZ Votes 2020: GiveGave me death

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can't smoke but you can go ahead and die

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How the gently caress did you guys fail to legalize weed lmao?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

very carefully.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

great country, very progressive

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
NZ could shore up the Yes vote next time with some friendly American refugees!

Good eggs like Gus here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmOUOLzjPOc

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

too late gus

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

middle new zealand is very big on the cult of personal responsibility but not so big on the associated idea of personal choice.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Lawman 0 posted:

A No campaign funded by US evangelicals

A Yes campaign that spent most of its time tweeting to the choir

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

assuming everyone was on the same page as they were

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I feel the need to speak a bit in the Yes campaign's defense. To begin with they had the tough job of explaining and educating people in arguments for legalisation, not to mention fighting the stigma involved in speaking positively about it at all. The No campaign could rely on prejudice and misconceptions to carry their message because the vast majority of people were heavily predisposed to the message of the No campaign already, what with the 60ish years we've had of moral panic over drugs and drug addiction.

The Yes campaign wasn't run perfectly. Some bits of it were definitely stuck in echo chambers. In any normal year that wouldn't have been the case because this referendum would've been one of the main election issues, meaning lots of air time and plenty of free media through which to disseminate the Yes message. But then covid happened, and ultimately you need money to reach people in this environment that the Yes campaign simply didn't have. I think the Drug Foundation was the best-resourced and they didn't even have a quarter of the money that Family First had.

Then of course Labour and Jacinda were very publicly fence sitting, while National actively campaigned against. It's only now that Jacinda and Labour's Māori caucus have come out in favour. This is despite Jacinda making a big deal of "listening to the scientists" and being "evidence based" and then ignoring her chief science advisor who issued a report recommending legalisation. That meant Chlöe was pretty much it for the Yes campaign in parliament, while nearly half of parliament were actively against.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that the Yes campaign did a bloody good job with what they had. It wasn't perfectly run and it's valid to look ahead and think about what to do differently and better, but to blame the loss on the small handful of people who were the only ones actually working to pass the loving bill is lovely.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

No dope, higher rents, unaffordable housing, more unemployment, no city rail, more endangered species, more organised crime, higher temperatures.

well done greens.

I’m writing the last 3 years off and hoping for better tomorrow.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I’m writing the last 3 years off and hoping for better tomorrow.

have you learned nothing from the last, i dunno, all of human history?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

if you want a better tomorrow you have to be willing to take it from today.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

if you want a better tomorrow you have to be willing to mildly annoy old people

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

we don't have 3 years to just piss away

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CODChimera posted:

we don't have 3 years to just piss away

This sounds like something a blood red commie would say and not a logical centrist Labour voter

Hail Jacinda!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the worst* thing about climate change is that we could kill every single person in aotearoa and it would give the world like a month or two more before the inevitable climate death

*ok i accept it's not the worst

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

yeah that’s sweet, and we just voted for everyone to die. start yeeting us into the middle of the cook strait, fam.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It wouldn't even buy a month because either everyone does it or everyone suffers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

it's such an impossible problem lmao