Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I have brought my laptop down to Beer Spot and am going to get drank and watch the debate and yell at Crusher.

Good use of a Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatJesus
May 30, 2009
Very confused by all of Collins's answers so far, she is saying normal National things but her eyebrows are raised so she is joking?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
lol i thought it started at 7:30

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/live-stream-first-leaders-debate-jacinda-ardern-v-judith-collins

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Has jacinda talked about judith's hole yet

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
judy really isn't a great debater, but she's definitely bought into her own hype lol

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"Ardern says now is the time to invest on those who are on the lowest wages, and Labour will do this by paying the minimum wage to contractors for the government.

Collins says small business owners cannot pay the bills now. She says it's "really important" to double the depreciation rate."

THE DEPRECIATION RATE

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
thats the first I've seen 'Learn to code' as a solution to employment problems in this country

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

exmarx posted:

judy really isn't a great debater, but she's definitely bought into her own hype lol

In The Hollow Men, Nicky Hager talks about an internal memo from Bill English that was leaked to him that basically says this.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Lexusbeat posted:

thats the first I've seen 'Learn to code' as a solution to employment problems in this country

im hugging my clipboard like john campbell

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
rma reform will solve poverty... gently caress yes dude !!!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://twitter.com/jo_moir/status/1308305957932249089

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://i.imgur.com/wCys3Bx.mp4

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://i.imgur.com/hSPVxqT.mp4

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/7hJRYFX.mp4

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/oEB97uy.mp4

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/nUZpd48.mp4

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

that's my politics sandwich

thank you i yield my time

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
who won the debates friends

the neoliberal or the other neoliberal?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

El Pollo Blanco posted:

who won the debates friends

the neoliberal or the other neoliberal?

https://twitter.com/MatthewHootonNZ/status/1308320877163900928

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/jo_moir/status/1308306576403386368

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
judith was so incoherent i can only assume it was a tactic. commentariat is saying she won.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
did judy really defend her ownership of multiple homes by saying she didn't own them, her family trust did?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

it came off as less a defense than a legal requirement to make sure her acknowledging personal ownership of them wasn't caught on record.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

quote:

Trish Sherson: Collins was pitch perfect

[...]

Trish Sherson is a political commentator, former Act press secretary and PR practitioner

quote:

Morgan Godfery: Ardern is impossible to beat

[...]

Morgan Godfery is a political commentator, writer and trade unionist

quote:

Ben Thomas: Ardern was strangely hesitant

[...]

Ben Thomas is a commentator, former National ministerial adviser and PR practitioner

Who won depends on who you already supported, like always.

quote:

Toby Manhire: Everyone is knackered

Toby Manhire is the editor of The Spinoff

quote:

Justin Giovannetti: Who’d have been swayed?

Justin Giovannetti is the Spnioff political editor

unless you're an editor at a news organisation that misspells its own name, in which case you have to stay ~*~neutral~*~

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Most of the things I have seen suggest that Arden had a bad debate but still easily won it despite being a bit flat and boring.
Also surely the sound bite from the debate is "My husband is Samoan. So talofa."

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Finally some honest political analysis

https://twitter.com/NZNationalParty/status/1308322028353585152?s=20

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
https://twitter.com/JacquiDeanMP/status/1308323437778141186

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Varkk posted:

Most of the things I have seen suggest that Arden had a bad debate but still easily won it despite being a bit flat and boring.
Also surely the sound bite from the debate is "My husband is Samoan. So talofa."
you're not a fan of "do you want avocado orchards or not? i think we should"?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
farmers have anxiety because people in cities criticise them for not believing in climate change :'(

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

exmarx posted:

farmers have anxiety because people in cities criticise them for not believing in climate change :'(

poor darlings. maybe we can give them a tax cut to make them feel better? perhaps relax some environmental protections?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

should I vote greens or top, plz advise

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

vote top if you're a bottom.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

If you're into being naive but well-intentioned, vote Green.

If you're smug and perpetually wedged up your own butthole, and really get off on huffing your own farts, vote TOP.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

TOP are dumbasses even if theyve managed to copy a handful of decent policies from the Greens and the Maori party this time. And also they don't really stand a chance of getting into parliament so you might as well be voting Aotearoa legalise cannabis party.

Hope this helps.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

could someone clip this bit for me? It was so awful I must have it

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

bike tory posted:

lol doesn't surprise me, rocket lab is full of angry white wing dudes and the founder is a personal friend of a bunch of National party MPs (current and former)

Hey we're not all bad :( Although you're absolutely right about everything you said and more.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

If you're into being naive but well-intentioned, vote Green.

If you're smug and perpetually wedged up your own butthole, and really get off on huffing your own farts, vote TOP.

but i’m both of those things

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I know everyone likes to dump on TOP for being a bunch of urban technocrat smuglords, but AFAICT they are the only party who seem to actually acknowledge that insanely spiralling house prices are a giant ponzi scheme that are having massive negative impacts. The cost of housing has risen wayyyyy faster than other cost of living components and its creating this huge inequality where a large swathe of the population can sit on the untaxed capital gain of perpetually rising house prices, which basically just enrich the banks while entrenching inequality.

Labour seem super conservative economically now and raising the top tax rate is good and needed but not imo without commeasurate increases for lower income earners. the bottom tax bracket needs to be raised at the very least. TOP's UBI/negative tax rate model + land tax seems like a pretty good system to me. I get that they will never get into government or even get a seat but I think having someone in there advocating this stuff is useful to try to shift the conversations/overton window (lol). look at the impact david seymour has had with one seat

TOP also take climate change seriously. Green are generally pretty cool bros who move labour left. They do seem to wobble and gently caress up quite a bit - but on balance they seem to do a lot of good imo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

I know everyone likes to dump on TOP for being a bunch of urban technocrat smuglords, but AFAICT they are the only party who seem to actually acknowledge that insanely spiralling house prices are a giant ponzi scheme that are having massive negative impacts. The cost of housing has risen wayyyyy faster than other cost of living components and its creating this huge inequality where a large swathe of the population can sit on the untaxed capital gain of perpetually rising house prices, which basically just enrich the banks while entrenching inequality.

The greens and the maori party talk about this constantly too. TOP is for dudes who think that the greens are too effeminate or too focused on soft ~social justice~ issues and that the maori party is only for maori people. Oh and also single issue UBI freaks I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
last time i checked, the t.o.p party's immigration policy was as bad as new zealand first's. their ubi is designed to gut the broader welfare state and they want to cut your grandma's pension in half. do they even have any environmental policy worth mentioning?

they're also insanely anti-democratic – essentially want to devolve decision making to an unelected council of nerds. awful!