Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

whydirt posted:

We’ve had consistent hours of games every night since last weekend often with waitlists to get in, so I dunno what to tell you

Yeah I know, and I've played with you good guys once. I'm just usually on my phone, and Mrs. Doctor is sleeping next to me. And frequently I'm playing at an hour where N+ith Doctor has sleepwalked her way into our bed too, so no audio whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://discord.gg/Gnr8QCq8

We have games almost nightly here (like Whydirt said) often with a waiting list. If you are ever looking to play around 7:30 or 8pm CST please give us a shout. It's a cool, chill, group that likes to play Space Mafia and laugh.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Nth Doctor posted:

Yeah I know, and I've played with you good guys once. I'm just usually on my phone, and Mrs. Doctor is sleeping next to me. And frequently I'm playing at an hour where N+ith Doctor has sleepwalked her way into our bed too, so no audio whatsoever.

Not to be a jerk, but have you considered not playing in bed next to your sleeping family?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

whydirt posted:

Not to be a jerk, but have you considered not playing in bed next to your sleeping family?

Point well taken.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Alright jerks we are playing a game!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Still laughing about the game I won by being the only person to vote.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

sirtommygunn posted:

Still laughing about the game I won by being the only person to vote.

Always fun! My group found out about this by accident, one of them was like "Yeah I'm gonna troll vote ___ even though they're definitely not impostor," and everyone else just let time run out and WHOOP IMPOSTORS WIN

The troll voter wasn't even an impostor! We were gonna lose anyway but all of us, impostors included, were like we're never forgetting that

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Congrats on us for filling almost three full lobbies simultaneously last night!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
We had 27 people playing, it was nuts

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

SalTheBard posted:

Alright jerks we are playing a game!

This link is expired now

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

ShadowHawk posted:

This link is expired now

We aren't playing a game right now jeez!

https://discord.gg/w7TYqtA4W3

This code should never expire. We have games running nightly (sometimes 2 or 3 but that is uncommon).

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Just curious - what is the reasoning behind Discord links expiring?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Sometimes you don't want links floating around indefinitely. I'm this case I just forgot to set it to never expire

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Sometimes you don't want links floating around indefinitely.

That's what I'm asking - not your link specifically but why would Discord not want people to join a server after X hours? Why do links expire at all?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

nexus6 posted:

That's what I'm asking - not your link specifically but why would Discord not want people to join a server after X hours? Why do links expire at all?

Hey guys! I know the party was last weekend but here I am!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

nexus6 posted:

I have no idea why Discord would incorporate that feature.

Also the party is nightly, please come join us

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Outrail posted:

Hey guys! I know the party was last weekend but here I am!

Hey! Yeah, the party's still going on, people are still coming in and there isn't any restriction on entering, but you can't come in because reasons.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Nexus, you are asking questions about systems I have no loving idea about. The link above will never expire so the door is always open for you to come party with us.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Hey! Yeah, the party's still going on, people are still coming in and there isn't any restriction on entering, but you can't come in because reasons.

i would assume that it's unlikely someone posting in the goon among us thread is a decisionmaker at Discord who can answer your weirdly aggressive questions. there's a new link that won't expire, come play games if you want.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

Nexus, you are asking questions about systems I have no loving idea about. The link above will never expire so the door is always open for you to come party with us.

Oh, I didn't mean to go off at you - I'm just mad at Discord

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It exists in principle for cases where you want to control who can join the server and don't want the link to be continually shared around to anyone, doesn't seem that strange to me

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
it's because discord's audience is largely composed of moody teenagers who will act maliciously whenever possible and so it's better to err on the side of caution

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Has anyone tried the skeld.net game modes at all?

They look fun but I always am weirded out modifying game files.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I just installed it and am completely unable to join any games because the server is rammed full

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Managed to squeeze into a game of zombies. It was alright.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

just played a game of 'crazy colors' which was loving stupid and genuinely no-one could tell me the rules.

Everyone just changed color every couple seconds and the kill cooldown was 1sec, so the imposter slaughtered everyone. You don't know who did it because of the colour changes and they won in less than a minute. Back in the lobby everyone just said gg and played again. When I asked the rules I was told 'just do tasks'

Maybe I was missing something.

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 17, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tears In A Vial posted:

just played a game of 'crazy colors' which was loving stupid and genuinely no-one could tell me the rules.

Everyone just changed color every couple seconds and the kill cooldown was 1sec, so the imposter slaughtered everyone. You don't know who did it because of the colour changes and they won in less than a minute. Back in the lobby everyone just said gg and played again. When I asked the rules I was told 'just do tasks'

Maybe I was missing something.

So it's last man standing?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Outrail posted:

So it's last man standing?

well the last man is gonna be the imposter, because it's impossible to vote them out due to the shifting colours, and they had no kill countdown. The crew members were just lambs to be slaughtered

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tears In A Vial posted:

well the last man is gonna be the imposter, because it's impossible to vote them out due to the shifting colours, and they had no kill countdown. The crew members were just lambs to be slaughtered

Yeah that's what I meant. Dumb version tho. Maybe have two imps, and winners are the imp with the biggest kill count and the last crew standing.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Tears In A Vial posted:

'crazy colors'

So that's what I saw yesterday... I play without mods but joined a Polus lobby where we kept flashing colors every few seconds. Nobody else knew what was going on either, because someone called up a reunion and they votekicked the host for "hacks". The flashing stopped after that.

About the mod, it seems to me that it's meant to be played one of two ways: either on a "can't win by voting, only by tasks" mode or "you are going to die anyway so let's see who can kill the whole lobby the fastest". 1 sec cooldown is dumb for the former mode tho, but that may be that the player setting the rules had no idea either.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 18, 2020

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Jiru posted:

So that's what I saw yesterday... I play without mods but joined a Polus lobby where we kept flashing colors every few seconds. Nobody else knew what was going on either, because someone called up a reunion and they votekicked the host for "hacks". The flashing stopped after that.

About the mod, it seems to me that it's meant to be played one of two ways: either on a "can't win by voting, only by tasks" mode or "you are going to die anyway so let's see who can kill the whole lobby the fastest". 1 sec cooldown is dumb for the former mode tho, but that may be that the player setting the rules had no idea either.

Oh that's weird. The mods I'm talking about are confined to a third party server, so everyone knows what's happening. It even tells you when you start the game that you're playing a variation. Your guy was definitely hacking if it stopped once they left.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Among Us got nominated for Best Mobile Game and Best Multiplayer over at the Game Awards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am a big fan of Altrive(also known as Pikmin 4)(twitch channel), he plays with RubberRoss, WeegeeTheGod, Alpharad, etc a lot. his absolutely chaotic nature in games is incredible. nobody knows if he is good or bad, and he is just as likely to report as he is to hide the body or play third imposter. Sometimes a group will just vote him off just in case, but there is a caveat: you can never kill Pikmin 4 as imposter. every single time, EVERY SINGLE TIME, you will get caught and lose. 100% loss rate if you kill Pikmin 4, it is proven.

when on Skeld once he finishes tasks, he goes to O2 to bask in the air recycling vents like a good little plant.

this moment made me lose it, they're playing with proximity voice chat on so if two players are near each other they can still talk.

https://clips.twitch.tv/NurturingTrustworthyLardNotATK

that clip really makes me wish there was a like, dynamic video that let you change perspective for all the streams involved in the game in question so I could swap between all their perspectives and see their reactions to what happened. :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there a consensus on what the best map/settings are if you're running a game with experienced players all on voice chat together?

Some of the guys in our work game were getting very incensed about playing Skeld and having Visual Tasks on.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PittTheElder posted:

Is there a consensus on what the best map/settings are if you're running a game with experienced players all on voice chat together?

Some of the guys in our work game were getting very incensed about playing Skeld and having Visual Tasks on.
Yes, on streams and goon server the consensus is pretty much:
10 players if at all possible
Max tasks, or near it (2 long, 2 common, 5 short)
No visual tasks
No confirm ejects
Kill cooldown between 20 and 30 seconds.

Anonymous voting doesn't have solid consensus, but is often turned on as it adds more intrigue for the imposters. For fewer than 10 players subtract tasks and bump the kill cooldown.

The main interest of the game is the intrigue, and having provable ways of being innocent ruins that. The more experienced the players the less you can feign incompetence to get away with stuff, and the more likely players are to sniff out fake tasks.

So turn off visual tasks and confirm eject to have fewer obvious situations where you can be certain it's a certain player.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

As for maps, players on the goon server tend to favor Polus. Skeld is fine, but I think a lot of people get burnt out on it since it's the default map setting. I like MIRA HQ in very short bursts. The gameplay gets a little repetitive for my tastes due to the bottleneck travel for crew and reliance on lots of venting for impostors.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

One disadvantage for impostors in Polus is that veteran payers know to monitor admin and vitals, so long rounds where one impostor can get several kills are uncommon.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe it's just my group but I always find imposter on Polus really easy. The map is so large you can often kill people and have a minute or longer pass before the body is found and have plenty of time to get away from the crime scene and latch onto another player or group. The Skeld might get a little samey but it does have the tightest design with a compact and interconnected layout and makes going for kills as the imposter always a little hair raising

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Captain Invictus posted:

I am a big fan of Altrive(also known as Pikmin 4)(twitch channel), he plays with RubberRoss, WeegeeTheGod, Alpharad, etc a lot. his absolutely chaotic nature in games is incredible. nobody knows if he is good or bad, and he is just as likely to report as he is to hide the body or play third imposter. Sometimes a group will just vote him off just in case, but there is a caveat: you can never kill Pikmin 4 as imposter. every single time, EVERY SINGLE TIME, you will get caught and lose. 100% loss rate if you kill Pikmin 4, it is proven.

when on Skeld once he finishes tasks, he goes to O2 to bask in the air recycling vents like a good little plant.

this moment made me lose it, they're playing with proximity voice chat on so if two players are near each other they can still talk.

https://clips.twitch.tv/NurturingTrustworthyLardNotATK

that clip really makes me wish there was a like, dynamic video that let you change perspective for all the streams involved in the game in question so I could swap between all their perspectives and see their reactions to what happened. :v:

I love Pikmin 4 so much.

Also a close call win by me, I'm glad the person trusted me and didn't think to check medbay when doubling back:
https://clips.twitch.tv/DepressedShinyKoupreyCclamChamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Visual tasks make it too easy to confirm. I think with the group that normally plays it's something like:

Confirm Ejects - Off
Visual Tasks - Off
Common Tasks - 2
Medium Tasks - 2
Long Tasks - 2
Kill Timer - 27.5 seconds
Taskbar Update - Meeting

We have experimented with Anon Voting but we had people that were getting "griefed" with "funny" meme votes and it wasn't really enjoyable for them.