Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah Imposter is almost unplayable with visuals on, even in a pubbie lobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Coolio, thanks for the responses all.

Another question, how are you actually supposed to use venting as an imposter? I have rarely ever found it to be useful.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Another question, how are you actually supposed to use venting as an imposter? I have rarely ever found it to be useful.

You can lock people in, for example, the security room, then vent in and do the dirty and vent back out again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I think as a calculated risk it can pay off pretty well for tightly choreographed moves, like the other night on Skeld I gambled on someone being in medical from the queue there'd been for the med scanner 30 seconds ago, sabotaged the medical doors, vented in from electrical and killed the guy on the scanner and vented back out before the doors opened and the body was immediately found.

Like with most thing in this game though, it probably depends on who you play with and whether just diving for cover after a kill will be enough to escape suspicion or if you're playing with a load of Columbos who are going to press you for every movement you made in the last minute.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

how are you actually supposed to use venting as an imposter?

I find it most effective when lights are out, otherwise any sort of experienced player will start to look at pathing and realize pathing makes no sense when you vent. What I actually find it best for is the handful of tasks that are near vents where you can swoop in, kill, vent out lightning fast and it looks like you never left the room you were in. The other issue with venting is say the kill is in electrical, in the back by the vent. If anyone admits to being in security or medical I'm automatically suspect of them (it's the same with Tree and cams in Polus).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I just won a 2 imp pub game by getting caught, acting like a petulant child telling everyone to go gently caress themselves and also purple is the other imposter gently caress you.

Then red killed someone and reported purple. They were so pissed.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

An absolutely solid use of venting is if someone is doing download data in Skeld electrical though.

Because the download screen blocks off so much of the screen, if a crewmate starts to download data when the imposter is beside them, the imposter can vent out of the room, kill someone on cams, and vent back in beside them all while the view is blocked, giving them a good alibi when the body is found.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 27, 2020

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Venting is very map-dependent. It’s abasically required on MIRA, very useful on Skeld, and totally optional on Polus.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, Mira is so tight and busy that venting to kill someone and then venting back is the only way to get kills where you've got plausible deniability.

Also, it's really really fun to vent in front of someone in reactor, then vent to cafeteria and wait for them to run in so you can kill them right before they press the button.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, it's really really fun to vent in front of someone in reactor, then vent to cafeteria and wait for them to run in so you can kill them right before they press the button.

Please delete this post so I can do this in my regular game and then claim it was my idea.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You can even pop briefly into decontam through the vent to scare the hell out of them before venting back out.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I ended up in a game on Polus this morning where I was Impostor, and the game glitched hard where it showed Yellow as calling every meeting/reporting every body. And the meetings showed active players as greyed out/disconnected. It was fun and after we finally voted Yellow, I saw there were just two other players left.

I got banned after I won. :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a new thing that lets you have proximity audio in among us, and it leads to some incredible content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2neKKb8V1L8&hd=1

this entire video is gold. the last round in particular, nay, the last KILL in particular with Bloo in communications, is incredible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2neKKb8V1L8&hd=1&t=14182s

"oh wait, you're gonna let me go?"

also they accidentally leaked the room code and a fan got in, "Toon Noah". they let him play a game and Alpha gave a shout out to his youtube channel and told everyone to go sub to him, so his subs went from like 500 to 5000 in a couple minutes. :3:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 29, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I want to try proximity chat so bad

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gonna try out the proximity chat mod tonight if we can get enough folks together on Discord. I'm shooting for around 9pm EST since that seems to be when lobbies usually form anyway.

How to install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8F4f5iQEIc

Edit: apparently CrewLink hasn't updated to match the most recent version of Among Us, so can't test it tonight. I'll still be rounding up people to play vanilla games!

whydirt fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 5, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
We got crewlink setup and it's loving cool as hell.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My 8 year old loves this game and keeps wanting my wife and I to play it with it. I’m fine with it, but isn’t this just a polished version of Space Station 13? Like I’m fine with that, I’ve only seen comedy reviews analysis of SS13, and was just wondering.

I do hate phone text typing, so I figure I’ll use a laptop for typing and playing.

Also I’m assuming I can be an absolute ungodly troll in this game, right? Like in terms of screwing over people, not being a racist shithead troll.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MazelTovCocktail posted:

My 8 year old loves this game and keeps wanting my wife and I to play it with it. I’m fine with it, but isn’t this just a polished version of Space Station 13? Like I’m fine with that, I’ve only seen comedy reviews analysis of SS13, and was just wondering.

I do hate phone text typing, so I figure I’ll use a laptop for typing and playing.

Also I’m assuming I can be an absolute ungodly troll in this game, right? Like in terms of screwing over people, not being a racist shithead troll.

Essentially yeah it's a simplified and actually playable version of Space Station 13

Also the game definitely works best with Discord for both voice chat and finding games

Lastly yeah one can definitely do some trolling, like I had gotten caught as Imposter and decided as a ghost to spend the rest of the game to screw with the person who caught me, I followed them around and kept using the sabotage function to lock them into rooms and stuff

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
https://twitch.tv/salthebard

Streaming Among Us with Proximity Chat. It's pretty cool

EDIT: Crewlink is loving incredible.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 6, 2020

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Crewlink sounds fun and all but I'm not sure it's gonna take with non computer-savvy friends how to build python libraries themselves. Also, does this work for mobile players?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

nexus6 posted:

Crewlink sounds fun and all but I'm not sure it's gonna take with non computer-savvy friends how to build python libraries themselves. Also, does this work for mobile players?

That's only how you clone the repo to contribute development there's an .exe on the github too.

https://github.com/ottomated/CrewLink/releases

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

nexus6 posted:

The hardest part is getting the actual server setup (I don't know how to do it but Whydirt can speak to it more). Once your have that taken care of, it's like a 30 second setup.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

The hardest part is getting the actual server setup (I don't know how to do it but Whydirt can speak to it more). Once your have that taken care of, it's like a 30 second setup.

That was all Madman. I was in the middle of trying to setup a voice server on my PC when he just tracked down the two cloud servers we ended up using. His way was much, much easier!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

SalTheBard posted:

Crewlink Server has a docker image already, and I get a small monthly Azure credit that I've literally only used once. I'm looking at what it would take to host it.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

nexus6 posted:

Doesn't work on mobile.

As a frame of reference for how easy it was to set-up, we were able to get it up and running for about 13 or so people in a single night and most of our time was spent actually playing the game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

And based on how bad we are at identifying impostors, we’re not very smart.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

MazelTovCocktail posted:

In theory they're pretty much the same, but in practice I don't think it really works out that way. In SS13, even setting aside the weird troll stuff, there's a wide spread of potential traitor types which you may or may not be certain which one is showing in a given round, there's a much wider pool of crew types as well, and in general there's a much wider spread of potential activities to the extent that depending on the mode type 90% of the characters won't interact with the nominal mission goals at all. Among Us is a much more focused game, with a single type of traitor and crew type that's consistent on every game, a max of ten players per round with a preset number of traitors, and no gameplay that isn't directly oriented around one of the victory types.

Trolling is actually kind of difficult outside of not doing your job, which falls more on the 'unfunny dick' side of the spectrum. Your main trolling avenue is bullshitting during the impostor hunt meetings, which is pretty much the intended strategy anyways and can get you voted out if you annoy people too much.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

kvx687 posted:

Trolling is actually kind of difficult outside of not doing your job, which falls more on the 'unfunny dick' side of the spectrum. Your main trolling avenue is bullshitting during the impostor hunt meetings, which is pretty much the intended strategy anyways and can get you voted out if you annoy people too much.

Trolling is a lot more possible and exceptionally fun with proximity chat.

I am STILL laughing my rear end off every time I think of my "So, Jojo, do you want to do a double kill?" followed by one of the other guys running off screaming. (Me and Jojo were both crew)

Is there any way to see the video from last night? Someone I know wants to watch.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's really much more a Mafia or Werewolf like game where everyone can do things during the night phase.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Crewlink setup, on Windows at least, is:

- download .exe
- install .exe
- run .exe
- paste server link into options
- restart Crewlink (because it always bugs out at this point)
- start Among Us from the button in Crewlink

easy peasy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

Trolling is a lot more possible and exceptionally fun with proximity chat.

I am STILL laughing my rear end off every time I think of my "So, Jojo, do you want to do a double kill?" followed by one of the other guys running off screaming. (Me and Jojo were both crew)

Is there any way to see the video from last night? Someone I know wants to watch.

I know gently caress all about twitch and apparently I didn't "record" the video which is a huge bummer :(

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Mumbling posted:

Doesn't work on mobile.

As a frame of reference for how easy it was to set-up, we were able to get it up and running for about 13 or so people in a single night and most of our time was spent actually playing the game.

Thanks, that's good to know but if it excludes mobile players I don't think it's applicable to my group. Maybe the devs will integrate it into the base game?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

nexus6 posted:

Thanks, that's good to know but if it excludes mobile players I don't think it's applicable to my group. Maybe the devs will integrate it into the base game?

I would love that. It adds so much to it. For example I saw Whydirt vent into medical and I just started yelling "I SAW DIRT VENT!!" Which lead to Dirt killing me but the evil bastard went down with me. Had we not had chat he would've gotten away with it.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Is there a regular goon game to join in? I’ve gathered a smattering of friends, coworkers, and social media people a couple times but wrangling 10 people is tough when you’re old and friendless

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

howdoesishotweb posted:

Is there a regular goon game to join in? I’ve gathered a smattering of friends, coworkers, and social media people a couple times but wrangling 10 people is tough when you’re old and friendless

https://discord.gg/yArPfYHK

We play here almost nightly

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Where is the fun in this game?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

No. 6 posted:

Where is the fun in this game?

To kill your enemies, put suspicion on the innocent, and hear the lamentations of the crewmates

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Yes, that is good

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

When does that start?

Here's my experience: load game, click join game, see message server is full. Repeat a few times then create a server. Sit in empty server for 5 minutes as people randomly join and leave.

Finally get a game and start doing tasks, people just mash button for meeting and say "lol."

Other pointless things happen.

Game ends.

Maybe it's a party game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nah, it's a game you play with friends, or a vetted group.