Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Valt posted:

Well I'm still waiting on getting my jugs back from the machine shop but my gaskets arrived this weekend and I'm getting my clutch plates today. But this weekend my friend recently picked up a 56' panhead with a shovel top end. Its a numbers matching bike which means the frame, trans, and motor all have matching numbers. The frame has been choperized in the past and all of the floor board mounts have been removed and it was molded at some point. We dont know the last time the bike actually ran and none of us were particularly familiar with running a manual advance distributor. We got it to run with the distributor setup incorrectly and the wrong points. Which really says a lot about how simple these things are lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ri2lsrj7P0

I also started trying to find a lower pulley for the mag since the flanges came off it. I attempted to tig weld it back in place temporarily which sort of worked but not really. I looked around for a pulley but of course its some modified thing or a unicorn pulley that doesn't exist. It has a 15 teeth and a 11mm bore, but the nose of it is like 9.5mm. So likely I'm going to have to get something that matches the nose bore and then put it on a lathe to take it out to 11mm.

That is a loving sweet panshovel, and the rest of the bike doesn't look like too much work.

It reminds me of doing the timing on a guy's ironhead sportster and he was agonizing over getting it riiiight in the middle of the little window, not realising the whole system has so much slop the timing varies by like 10° every time you change rpm anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So I got my barnett clutch pack today from Cycle X. I went to take the old clutch out and put in the new one which is a pretty straight forward process. But of COURSE the clutch is completely destroyed in this motor. So I'm going to have to take the clutch basket out of another motor to put into this one.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I started putting the clutch together yesterday with parts from my other clutch. But found out that the other part of the clutch had a bolt broken off in it. So now I need to pull a third clutch. I also reached out to the machinist who has my head with the stainless valves. I'm going to pick it up from him this week and bring it to machine shop that has the jugs. Since he has had the head for 6 months and hasn't finished it.

I also found a lower pulley for the mag, but its going to have to be machined. Since the pulley that was on the mag was stepped and they do not sell a timing pulley that is like that.

https://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/product/?id=A_6A_3-15DF03712

It will just have to machined to 11mm and leave the noise at 3/8" like it is now.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I finally pieced together a clutch and got it installed in the motor. I also found a chain cover, which I have never actually used. It was painted some horrible green color like the motor. So I stripped it and polished it like the rest of the covers.

I also finally heard back about my head that has kibblewhite stainless valves in it. Whoever put that motor together pulled literally all the threads out of the top of the head. So it had to get time serts in all the holes. The machinist also told me that the valves were thinner then stock and were supposed to have lash caps on them but they were not used. So now the valves need to be butt ground and lash caps ordered.

This is the kit thats in that head apparently.

https://dynoman.net/engine/valves/5mm_conv.html#why

I'm going to have to order different valve guide seals since those valves are smaller then stock ones.

Valt fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 3, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
who spends that kinda money on valves and doesn't get guides and caps?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

who spends that kinda money on valves and doesn't get guides and caps?

Oh its got newish guides since you can't use stock ones due to the smaller valve stems. But whoever put that head together was a tweaker. They literally used RTV to hold the cam cap bolts in since all the threads were stripped.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

Oh its got newish guides since you can't use stock ones due to the smaller valve stems. But whoever put that head together was a tweaker. They literally used RTV to hold the cam cap bolts in since all the threads were stripped.

okay so not as bad as I thought but still terrible, just in different ways.

I was about to say "wait... didn't this engine RUN? How are the valve seats not completely hosed?"

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

okay so not as bad as I thought but still terrible, just in different ways.

I was about to say "wait... didn't this engine RUN? How are the valve seats not completely hosed?"

The motor that this head came from exploded catastrophically. A rod broke and put a hole in the cases and I think the cam lifted or something and smashed the cam chain into the valve cover. I took the head for parts but realized that it already had stainless valves and it wasn't damaged from the motor exploding.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Here are some pics of the carnage from that motor.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

knock knock knock

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well the machine shop told me its going to be at least a month before they can get to the work on the jugs which sucks. While I am waiting I'm going to try and finish the fabrication on the frame so I can get all of that sent off for paint. I'm going to do the service items on my Dyna so I can try and sell it. I'm really trying to pair down my number of vehicles. I would really like to build a nice 454 for my truck and get all of the little stuff it needs.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So something I have been meaning to do for a while is change the mounts for the oil tank so its more flush with the frame. I ordered a couple of coped tabs from bungking and got it all mocked up with the help of bungee chord. Once it was mocked up and held in place with magnets I tacked the tabs in place with my mig. I had intended to tig weld the tab on the frame but it ended up being easier to jug mig it. But I did tig the tabs on the oil tank. Those tabs were originally part of a plate thats welded to the front of the tank and they were just bent. I cut them off and then just welded them up further on the plate. The rear tabs were already there so I just had to cut them off and move them back a bit.

This is a panhead oil tank and it doesn't fit my frame perfectly. But since most of these style of oil tanks are made for harleys I will never be able to buy anything that fits my custom frame perfectly. I might at some point just make a custom tank that fits the space perfectly. But I'm trying not to get sucked into just never finishing anything.

Just for reference this is how it was mounted originally.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I finally got my jugs back from the machinist and got them on the bike. Now I'm waiting on getting the head back. The machinist was waiting on getting the lash caps from kibblewhite then he had to butt grind the valve stems. But he let me know that should be early next week. I also got my mag shaft back from the other machinist. He had to turn it down so that I could use a stock size pulley instead of a modified one like it had. So hopefully I should have it running this coming week!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I ran out of time waiting on the machinist to give me my head with the stainless valves back. So I cleaned and painted my 78' head as best I could. This is the head that was on the bike when it was running the last time so I know its mostly okay.

I got the head bolted on and started trying the roll the motor over to set the cam timing. But when I tried to roll it over it was completely stuck. I thought perhaps the cam chain had just gotten jammed on the bottom end as that can happen. So I pulled the head and the jugs off the motor and it still seemed like it was stuck. So I pulled the clutch cover off in case somehow the clutch was installed wrong or something was weird. The clutch basket is sort of a compilation of several different years so its possible it was an issue. After I removed the cover and the tensioner the motor rolled over. So I went ahead and got the jugs and head put back on and put the clutch and cover back together. When I attempted to set the timing again the motor moved a bit then got stuck again. This time I pulled the oil pan and alternator cover to attempt to unjam the camchain. It was here that I learned that the 78 motors clutch pack is just slightly bigger. They compensated for this by making some reliefs in the clutch cover show below:

Below is a earlier clutch cover which you can see does not have those reliefs. So I went ahead and used my die grinder and a small flap wheel to clearance my cover (as it was already clean and polished).

After an entire day of this nonsense my buddy came over and helped me get the motor into the frame. I then spent the rest of the day getting everything else needed for it to run installed. Its clear that these pistons and bores are correct as the motor turns over much much easier then the 850 motor. Which is strange since they are basically the same as far as compression ratio. After very little effort I got it to fire right up, so now I just have to get everything else back on the bike and get it ready to go into a van and travel to Indiana this weekend.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Still a good thread. Clever work on troubleshooting.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So my sisters wedding is coming up so I need to go to Indiana. I was going to rent a car so I can bring my dogs with me but apparently rental cars are extremely expensive. But cargo vans for what ever reason are not. So I rented a transit which is easily big enough to roll the honda into. So that is why I have been thrashing so hard to get it back together. But I leave tomorrow and I will have to finish ironing out any bugs at dad's house.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So I got the chain on at dads house and got it up and running. It is much much easier to start now. Also the clutch is a thousand times better. I suspect the other clutch was just very worn out.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0O7c-kTq8hE?feature=share

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

That looks so good. The way the engine is on display, sitting there in all that space, and polished up. Pipes look great too. I think this bike has turned me into someone who likes the way choppers look.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So I got to Indiana for my sisters wedding and got the bike all put together. It basically started and idled first kick which is so nice. It’s also not leaking any oil anymore which is a relief.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0O7c-kTq8hE?feature=share

My dad also helped me run the wiring through the frame so it looks so much better now. I ordered a new chain since I realized I had been running the 17 tooth front sprocket instead of the 19 tooth one that I had got. The bike is soooooooooo much more rideable with the 19 tooth front sprocket since it’s not anywhere near as snappy in first gear.

**edit**

Well I guess I just posted that same video twice lol. In other news I found out my tire just barely rubs the fender at highway speeds. The chain is just tight enough that I can’t pull it back. It I add another link then I don’t have enough travel to the chain tensioned at all.

Valt fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 21, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
this thread is so loving rad.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So while I was in Indiana my dad helped me drill a couple of holes in the frame and pull the wiring through. It looks ten thousand times better without the wires just hanging out. Now that I am back in Austin, I'm going to work on getting my friend to make the real seat. As well as get the stainless valved head on it with a big cam. I'm probably going to work on the exhaust this week as well. I need to make mounts for them so they don't constantly rattle against each other.

Also after my sisters wedding the wedding photographer wanted to get pictures of my sister and her husband on the bike. Which I think he actually just wanted to take pictures of the bike honestly.

My sisters husband is a cool guy as well. His dad and him built a 38 Plymouth hot rod back in the late 80s. They did everything on the car and its still in perfect condition which is amazing. Its very of its time, but they did it all so I'm definitely down with all of it. His dad got really excited telling me about how they went to the junkyard to find parts and how they made stuff out of random metal for it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

this is rad as hell.
Did the photog manage to get any other pics of the bike? Might be worth an ask.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol that’s tight

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So my friend came over and we spent about 6 hours getting the rest of the exhaust finished. We got one side tacked up and now I just need to finish weld and blend it all. I will get some pictures of the process today.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Note to self make sure what you grabbed was a stainless rod and not aluminum sigh……

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Valt posted:

So while I was in Indiana my dad helped me drill a couple of holes in the frame and pull the wiring through. It looks ten thousand times better without the wires just hanging out.

How did you route the wires through? Just push it and hope you could catch it/fish it out?

It's funny how enormous that bike looks once someone is sitting on it.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Toe Rag posted:

How did you route the wires through? Just push it and hope you could catch it/fish it out?

It's funny how enormous that bike looks once someone is sitting on it.

Yah that’s exactly what I did. I might run some different wires through it eventually if I decide to change up the wiring after paint.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Are you going to mount a seat with springs? Seems appropriate for a hardtail like this

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

mewse posted:

Are you going to mount a seat with springs? Seems appropriate for a hardtail like this

No definitely not. The seat that’s on there now is just temporary while the real seat gets covered. It’s going to be a step up with leather on the sides and newbuck on the top. Spring seats are annoying and all they do is bounce you out of the seat. Plus it wouldn’t really fit this build at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

These suck poo poo irl, you're almost better off with a rigid seat cause at least you can stay on the bike and have some chance of controlling it. Lots of padding is a better solution by far even if it looks less cool.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I had planned to finish welding everything tonight. But I think my argon bottle I got this morning is contaminated. So now I have to go tomorrow morning and swap tanks again. All of my welds were looking very dark and bad and my tungsten was turning black. It all looked like bad gas coverage, even though I verified I had good gas flow and I haven't changed anything about the machine since the last time I used it.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So I ended up having them refill my original bottle but the issues have persisted. So far I have tried the following with the same results each time.

Changed to the original single output regulator
Verified that my pulse settings are the same as before (20 ramping up to 65)
Verified that my gas flow is about 18-20 cfm as it was before
Changed my #8 gas lens to a #6 jet style
Sharpened a brand new tungsten

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. The outer two welders are since I have changed the tank. The inner weld is from before.

Here is an example where I am just pulsing without using any filler rod at all.

The last thing I'm going to try is to borrow my friends argon tank to completely rule out any kind of gas issue. But if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Valt fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 8, 2021

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
But just so you can see what its going to look like here is everything tacked together.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Valt posted:

So I ended up having them refill my original bottle but the issues have persisted. So far I have tried the following with the same results each time.

Changed to the original single output regulator
Verified that my pulse settings are the same as before (20 ramping up to 65)
Verified that my gas flow is about 18-20 cfm as it was before
Changed my #8 gas lens to a #6 jet style
Sharpened a brand new tungsten

Here is an example of what I'm talking about. The outer two welders are since I have changed the tank. The inner weld is from before.

Here is an example where I am just pulsing without using any filler rod at all.

The last thing I'm going to try is to borrow my friends argon tank to completely rule out any kind of gas issue. But if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Well turns out the issue was the gas was bad. Apparently they have been having issues with argon contamination. This picture is my argon tank on the right and my friends argon tank on the left. You can see the immediate difference.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sucks that you've had to go back and forth getting bottles filled but at least you know it's not your equipment

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Jazzzzz posted:

Sucks that you've had to go back and forth getting bottles filled but at least you know it's not your equipment

Yeah I'm pretty annoyed and will not be using that place again. At no point did they mention they have had issues with this until I proved it without a shadow of a doubt. If they knew they were having issues with argon contamination they should have informed me when I brought the first bottle back. At least they are now bringing me a bottle so I can hook it up and test it. That way I don't have go all the way downtown and back again.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well the tank they brought me was contaminated as well. I ended up having to go downtown and get a refund then go to another gas place to get a tank. But now I am good to go so I can finally finish welding the pipes.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well after an incredibly long sweaty couple of days the exhaust is fully welded. Now I just need to spend 800 hours blending all the welds and polish them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/BWx-DkGu4sg?feature=share

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Beauty. Is the angle of the pipes the same as the front end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

ought ten posted:

Beauty. Is the angle of the pipes the same as the front end?

Actually I never even thought of that but it is. It has 45 degrees of rake and the pipes basically have a 45 degree upsweep.