Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

bung king :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Valt posted:

I'm going to order AN adapters for the cb750, so I can use actual oil lines on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1837283085...LRoCJAwQAvD_BwE

omg how did I not know this was a thing?
You're a godsend.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

omg how did I not know this was a thing?
You're a godsend.

There are several, I think Cycle X sells one as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1442705972...ABoC_gkQAvD_BwE

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well made a good amount of progress on the oil tank. Its been pretty long going since I am not a sheet metal worker. But I now have the bottom completed welded on. I just need to get all of the fittings I'm going to use before I weld in the NPT bungs.

I had originally planned to tig weld the whole thing, but in reality it was better to mig weld it. I'm still going to tig weld the bungs into the tank just because I have more control with the tig there. But for all of the seams its just much easier to mig weld them. Plus I am much better with the mig welder then I am the tig welder. I also finally got the seat back from the guy who was covering it. It looks amazing now! Plus its obviously much more comfortable then just sitting on the fender basically, which is how it was before.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I finally got my 4" wide 16" rim laced to a honda hub back from cyclexchange. I had a local shop put the tire on it from the old rim. Its looking pretty good, just need to get a sportster front end on it now. Currently it has a honda front end with some tubing tack welded to it so I know how long of a front end I need.

I'm probably going to go ahead and make my own oil tank for this bike as well. Which will be much easier since I won't need to have a battery box in the oil tank like I did for the big bike.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I got all of the NPT bungs welded in. I also had a hydraulic shop make me some hoses. I messed up though since I went 1/8 npt to -6an then the 90 was -6 an. I really only need the -6 an on the motor side however, so I'm going to have them eventually make new lines as these were never meant to be permanent. But at $80 it was not a cheap lesson.

Hopefully I don't have to chase down leaks in my welds once I get it all done. I'm waiting on the bung for the drain plug and I need to borrow a hole saw to cut the top for the fill. Those will be easy to weld though since they are both flanged.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I got the tank fully welded up and all the bungs welded in. I spent yesterday making the lower mount for it. I cut and shaped it out of 1/4 plate that I had. The upper mounts were just tabs I bought from bung king.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So I have been spending some time to learn Fusion 360 since I want to make a mount for a Aisin AMR500 supercharger. I also want to make a manifold for DCOE40 carbs. I was able to get a rough sketch of the manifold and that has been good practice.

I also talked with one of the guys on the SOHC forums about buying another ARD. After chatting a while I mentioned that I wanted to modify a valve cover to remove the tach drive. He sent me some pictures of a friend of his who did this exact modification. I noticed that instead of the crazy patch that we tried to do before he just cut out a rectangular patch. I'm going to give it a go again and see if I can get it good enough. Once its done it will go to Cycle X to get chromed.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol badass

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well got the tank all mounted up and back on the bike. It holds almost 5 quarts of oil which is nice. Its also 100% not leaking which is a relief. I rode on the highway for a bit and the chain is not hitting anything either. Though for what ever reason the chain is popping like the rear tire isn't straight. Though I didn't move the adjusters when I pulled the wheel. So I need to go over that again to get it figured out.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Right now it just has some regular hydraulic hoses and the wrong fittings for the tank. I bought straight 1/8th inch NPT to dash 8 AN fittings then had the hydraulic place make me hoses with 90 degree dash 8 fittings on one end. But When I get my stainless braided lines I will just use 90 degree 1/8th inch to dash 8 fittings and straight fittings on the hose ends.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I finally got around finish welding my modified valve cover. Now I get to blend it all and chase pinholes. I need to get it ready for chrome since a lot of stuff is going to chrome here soonish. I'm going to start taking apart the bike to get ready to paint it and fix the oil leaks in the motor. I also think I'm going to get rid of the big twin master cylinder and put a sportster one on it. Since I have a leak somewhere in the brake system and its setup kind of hokey right now.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well with the Texas born free show coming up in October I finally took the bike completely apart in order to get stuff sent off for chrome and paint and mold the frame and tins. I decided to go ahead and paint it myself since I'm going to have other bikes and I will definitely want to pain them. Its going to be a long tedious thing, but I'm taking an entire week of PTO to just do this part of it.

At least this filler appears to be pretty easy to sand and shape. So while it takes some time at least its not actively painful to do.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I haven't posted in a while mostly because I'm just slowly doing a bunch of not fun sanding. But I did finally get a chance to use my actual paint gun with the real primer. Man it makes it so much easier to put down nice even coats then trying to use a spray paint can. Right now I have everything in 400 grit but I'm going to do 2 more coats of fill primer since the primer I was using went off in the can somehow and I wasn't able to get as many coats as I wanted.

I also made a new mount for a sportster master cylinder. The big twin master cylinder worked but it requires a lot of pedal pressure to make the bike stop quickly. Also the big twin requires a hard line in the back so I had to put my brake switch on the caliper which looks goofy. We also made some spacers since the sportster master cylinder is stepped on the back.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I was able to get at least 1 coat of primer on everything before I ran out of hardner. I think I'm moving to fast with the gun for sure. I'm trying to get everything including the frame into color this coming week.

As a test I went ahead and sprayed a test card with spray adhesive and the gold leaf I'm using for the flames. My concern is that there might be some kind of reaction between the adhesive and the clear. It seems to be fine at least in the test card. I'm going to spray color, adhesive, gold leaf, clear and see what it does now.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
This is still my favorite thread in CA.

Can't wait to see it painted up!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

moxieman posted:

This is still my favorite thread in CA.

Thanks! This is been a very long adventure for me and I've learned so much along the way. The next bike I build will be so much better then this one for sure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

moxieman posted:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Alright well I have started to get things into high gear since I'm down to less then a month to get stuff done. First things first I made a small paint booth of sorts in my back yard with a pop up canopy and some plastic drop cloth.

This actually has worked really well on keeping stuff off of what I am painting and keeping the overspray from just flying everywhere. Previously I had been driving across down to paint stuff at my friends house, now I can just do it at my house which makes things move faster. I was able to get all of the tins and fender in two good coats of primer.

So far I have about 8 hours of molding and sanding into the frame which is almost completely done and ready for primer now.

I'm starting to get some of my stuff back from chrome. So the hope now is that I can get the frame in primer today and tomorrow start getting color on the tins.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I quickly mocked up the brake stuff just to make sure 100% its going to work. Something I didn't think about is that the sportster master cylinder has a built in return spring so I don't need to run an external one like I did before.

I also shot some color on the fender and the gas tank. The fender turned out really good, its going to need some wet sanding to flatten it out a bit but its basically ready for clear.

The gas tank is another story, I guess I didn't fully get the primer sanded smoothly in some spots so I have some texture, so I'm going to start wet sanding with 1000 grit to see if I can flatten it. If that does work I'm going to 400 grit dry to get it all knocked back down. I should note that while you can see this texture you really can't feel it at all.

I had to cut the rear mounting tabs for the oil tank off since it was to tight, so I'm going to move them up and use a spacer so its easy to get the tank in and out. My main thing right now is to get the fender and frame in color and clear because then I can put the bike back to a roller.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I went ahead and got the rear fender in clear today. Its got some nibs and a run near the back but I should be able to clean it up with 2000 grit then polish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwAgwJAsECI

Valt fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 28, 2022

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So I had a good look at the fender after it dried a bit. I'm honestly shocked at how good it looks, I mean I'm doing this in my backyard and I have basically 0 experience painting stuff. All the blending looks super good and everything looks way better then I imagined.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is great work, well done

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I was able to find a flame design that I like. So I might be able to lay the gold leaf this weekend at least on the gas tank that way I can get it into clear.

**edit**

I went ahead and cut out a few more and taped one to the other side of the gas tank and one on the oil tank.

Valt fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 29, 2022

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Alright well everything is in primer now and I should have everything in color by tomorrow. I finalized the flames for the tanks and I'm having a friend that does vinyl applications on cars print them out in vinyl so we can use that as a stencil for the adhesive. So hopefully I will have the flames on tomorrow as well. Then Wednesday I'm shooting clear on everything but the fender.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Alright all the tins are in color now. I just have to shoot the frame tomorrow then I can clear the day after. My friend is coming over with the vinyl tomorrow so hopefully I can get the flames on the tanks.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well made some major progress today. Got everything in color at this point. The frame is looking good. I'm seeing a few little things I don't like but I need to shoot another coat so I can take care of them. My buddy also came by with the vinyl applications so I could put the gold leaf on. He needs to flip the other side in illustrator but I should have all the gold leaf down this week. I went ahead and mocked everything up because I wanted to get a better idea of what it will look like.

[

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
That's looking great!

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Alright well got one coat of clear on the frame and its looking good. My friend is coming over right now so we can get the rest of the flames on the tanks. I might go ahead and shoot the tanks and frame tonight but we will see. Ideally I want to do it in the morning when the bugs are low.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I shot clear on the tanks today. They look really good, but of course I got runs in the clear and I'm going to have to try and fix that.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

drat that’s going to look so good.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Sigh so trying to get the runs out of the clear on the gas tank I burned through the color. I hosed up because I should have just shot more clear on the bottom of the tank after I got the runs. Because as it was the runs went to a spot that had very little clear. Basically I had to sand off all the gold leaf and clear. Which literally took me all day.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Alright well that fuckup with the clear cost me 4 entire days. But now I think we have the flames better looking then they were before. There is some orange peel in the clear but I'm not going to gently caress with it till after the show. I also finished putting color and clear on my friends tank for his ironhead. I'm currently getting the fender ready for color and clear.

Our chrome guy is coming tomorrow so hopefully I will have my handlebars, sissy bar, and exhaust tomorrow and I can start fully assembling the bike.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Welp chrome guy hosed me, he didn't bring the sissy bar or the handlebars and he did a mediocre job with the pipes. He didn't blend any of the welds on the bars or on the exhaust which was sort of my whole point in sending the pipes to him. He shipped the bars and the sissy bar yesterday so I should get them tomorrow.

In good news, I started putting my bike back together and got the cylinder head back from the machine shop and the motor is back together now. My friends ironhead is also getting pretty close. I finished painting his fender the other day so now all the painting is done.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

What’s the show you’re taking it to when it’s complete?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

moxieman posted:

What’s the show you’re taking it to when it’s complete?

We are going to Born Free Texas this weekend.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well its 99% together now and I'm feeling really good about it. I got the handlebars today but he didn't send out the sissy bar. He said that he sent it overnight today. This is not at all helping my stress.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Alright well we made it back from Born Free today. It was a long and very stressful past couple of weeks trying to get ready for it. We were working on my friends bike the morning that we left and we only got it to run once on saturday so it stayed in the truck unfortunately.

Getting into the show was an absolute nightmare. We figured that they would not be prepared for the amount of people that might be there and boy howdy were we right. We waited an hour to move 500 feet and some people were in line in traffic for more then 3 hours.

They two people checking tickets and we had to sign some waiver, show our IDs, pull up the QR codes in our email and have them scanned. Also people were buying tickets in that same line. The guy directing traffic was only allowing people to enter from the other side of the road that did not have a line.

All loaded up and ready to head out for the 4 and half hour drive to Henderson, TX where rented a 100 year old house through air bnb. Basically everything closes at 9pm in Henderson so we were not able to get food or go have a beer. So we ended up going to walmart for beer and some frozen pizza.

Two of my favorite bikes from the show. These were both done by Vintage Technologies and both have a lot of cool little details, which these pictures don't show. You should look him up on instagram he does some really wild stuff.

My bike in the show here, the guy who runs the Old Bike Barn was taking a lot of pictures of it. He messaged me on instagram the next day since he wanted to meet up and take some better pictures of it but I already had it loaded up on the trailer.

We are getting ready to load out here it was a beautiful morning and honestly gorgeous weather all weekend long. I would do it again but they are going to have to make some big changes to how they handled a lot of stuff. It was a huge effort to rent the truck borrow a trailer get on the bikes on and tied down then drag it all out there. So I would want to just camp there friday and saturday night instead of getting an air bnb. But we will see, I would want to bring a different bike next anyways.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

I'm completely wore out from spending the past two weeks thrashing on two motorcycles. I do have a loving hilarious story from the show. We were working on getting my friends ironhead to run since it had new pistons and rings and a myriad of other new parts. My buddies were trying to get it started while I was at the show. I got a text message at some point from them that just said "did you hear that noise?" and I was like no what noise and they were like the "The roar of a ironhead!". I went back to our campsite and they told me they got it to start but that it immediately went full throttle which scared the poo poo out of them. They were scrambling to try and lower the idle and then unhooked the battery but it kept running. At some point the oil cap shot off and oil go over the side of the bike so smoke was everywhere as well. They were finally able to get it to shut off.

Random guy: "You guys alright"
Buddy: "Yeah we are fine but this bike needs a cigarette"
Other buddy: "I had no idea an ironhead could even rev that high!"

I was literally in tears when they were telling me about it.