Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I love this bike. It's such a long boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just out of curiosity. Have you ever used any of the offerings from Cycle Exchange? http://www.cyclexchange.net/
They've been updating their site a lot lately with restocks and I've been getting the itch to finally go nuts on my K7

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

Yah lots of stuff in the motor came from ken. The 850 kit, all of the gaskets, and the cam. They make great stuff!

I'm sitting on a set of CR-29's that I was considering selling, but then I thought "well I might need them if I go big bore." Of course I'd also need a new cam, and a nice primary and cam chain tensioner, and crank balancing, and...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

So another exciting thing has been that cylinder #1 is basically throwing oil out of the exhaust. I'm not really sure why this happening though I suspect its something to do with the head / valves. I did a compression test on it since I think #1 is the cylinder with the rings that I had to source outside of what came with the pistons. But honestly at this point I don't even remember. But I did a compression test and it went up past 150psi so the rings are fine. The valve guide seals that I bought for the head thats on it never seem to fit right so thats what I suspect. I tried to do a leak down test but anytime I put pressure to it, the motor just rolled over. So it could be a seal somewhere on the head as well.

Motor turning over on leakdown is a good sign but it's still worth it to get a wrench on the flywheel and do a proper leakdown.
Nice work on the headlights though. Those look great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

Well I finally ordered the rest of the stainless tubing for my exhaust. I just need to get a set of purge plugs and a different regulator for my argon tank so I can use it to purge. But hopefully I can get started on that this weekend. I also ordered a tubing polisher for my angle grinder so I can better polish the exhaust and also all of the bare metal that is going to get chromed.

I spent way too long trying to figure out why you could possibly need an argon tank on your bike.
Tell me more about this tubing polisher though. Do you have a link?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yikes I didn't realize that would be so much of a concern.

e: in my experience the transmissions have been pretty bulletproof except the shift forks.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 11, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

Oh sadly no, it just got way more expensive. Thankfully I have another bottom end, but the main issue here is I can't get these pistons. So I have to get a totally different set of pistons then have another set of jugs machined for them.

gently caress.
Well if you need cylinders lmk. I've got a bunch of stocks lying around.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
who spends that kinda money on valves and doesn't get guides and caps?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

Oh its got newish guides since you can't use stock ones due to the smaller valve stems. But whoever put that head together was a tweaker. They literally used RTV to hold the cam cap bolts in since all the threads were stripped.

okay so not as bad as I thought but still terrible, just in different ways.

I was about to say "wait... didn't this engine RUN? How are the valve seats not completely hosed?"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
this thread is so loving rad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

this is rad as hell.
Did the photog manage to get any other pics of the bike? Might be worth an ask.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
what the gently caress is going on with that output shaft?
is it just me or does it look chewed all to hell?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
whew you dodged a bullet with those wrist pin clips.

That trans looks so good too. Those chains, and gear faces are just so clean.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

Yeah Ken at cycle x did not do me wrong there. This motor is becoming more and more stupid at this point. So far it has the following:

New trans and shifter forks (200)
New primary chains (120)
New cam chain (89)
New clutch (89)
Over bored cylinders with forged 836 pistons (489) (labor: 400)
5mm stainless valves (this was actually free since they were already installed in that head)
Kibblewhite springs (again came with the head)
ARD Magneto (500)
Weber carbs with mount (800)
Gaskets with MLS head gasket (150)

$2850, oh god I think I just died inside.

I think about 8 years ago I priced out all the motor work I wanted to do. It came out over seven grand and I was like... welp. Better start saving.
I still plan to do it to some extent though. Since then I'd picked up like 6 more CB750's that I still need to get through first. Nothing major, just full inside out budget restorations, no fancy parts, overbored jugs, oversized valves, etc... At this point that built motor is going to be my retirement gift to myself. I'll probably get some of the rest of the build done in the meantime though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
wow that head looks amazing but omg that sucks about the lash caps

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
could be valve seals. I had the same problem on a freshly rebuilt motor. Cyl #1 always smoked.
The seal looked fine but I swapped it anyway and never had a problem after.

Good call on not trying to start it and ride it after it died. That would have sucked to damage that mag.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

Well this weekend I rode out to COTA to check out the moto gp race. Bike ran fine and without a hitch on the way out there. But on the way back after I stopped for gas I looked down (I have had issues with the bolt that holds the front sprocket on coming loose) and noticed that the front sprocket bolt was loving gone.

I ended up just having triple a take it back home as it would have taken me forever to get the truck and pick it up. I posted this on instagram and several said that had the same problem with this specific sprocket setup. What they suggested was to drill a hole in the M8 bolt that holds the sprocket on and safety wire it to the two 6mm bolts that can thread into the sprocket (these holes are for the earlier 750 front sprockets since they use a big locking tab to hold the sprocket on). This is not the first time this has happened with this setup on this bike as well. I had all of the correct washers per the parts fiche and I torqued that bolt down to 50 ft/lbs.

I have had that poo poo happen to me all the loving time. It's just a poo poo design.
Blue loctite usually works, but... you know it's blue loctite. Drilling the socket cap screws is a pain-and-a-half unless you've got a vise+drill press and even then, you need a proper hardened drill bit to get through that bolt. If you can find the bolts with the holes already in them for the safety wire then DEFINITELY go that route. They're usually cast that way and hardened accordingly. Drilling holes in the head of a socket cap screw significantly reduces the strength. I've never managed to break one, but I've also never tried.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

I have a floor standing drill press so I drilled a hole in the replacement bolt and in the two 6mm bolts. I used some stainless spring wire until I get some safety wire. Also I used loving red loctite, I'm done loving around with this nonsense.

Just to touch on putting a hole in the head of a bolt. That is not going to significantly reduce its strength especially in the use case that the sprocket bolt is. The bolt doesn't really hold the sprocket it just stops it from coming off. So there really shouldn't be much pressure on it ever. If there was it would have immediately come off as soon as the bolt was gone.

oh yeah totally. I meant specifically for those 8.8 grade (or softer) socket cap screws, not the bolts. And not so much a concern for it's ability to function as a bolt, but more so when trying to remove it.

and :hellyeah: red locktite

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

I'm going to order AN adapters for the cb750, so I can use actual oil lines on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1837283085...LRoCJAwQAvD_BwE

omg how did I not know this was a thing?
You're a godsend.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
That's hilarious and terrifying. Hilarifying.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oh poo poo you're doing the cycle-x crank mod.
careful with the throttle. I threw a tappet screw revving to somewhere just south of 11k accidentally after doing this. I was shooting for a 13 second quarter mile and I dumped the clutch too hard going into 3rd. It kicked right back out of gear and revved to the moon.

Also I highly recommend new crank bearings , properly fitted. That means Plastigauge, not just put all blacks and hope for the best or check the case stamps and use calipers on the crank.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Slavvy posted:

Lmao do people actually do this? Fucken sickos

I worked at a repair shop where people didn't even know that crank bearings came in different sizes. But yeah the all blacks and "hope for the best" thing is unfortunately common.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

I checked bearing clearances with plastigauge and verified it was within spec.

Out of curiosity does the motor rev easier without all that stuff on the end of the crank?

I would say it's a bit snappier, yes. It revs up quicker but also RPMs drop off faster too.
Low RPMs were a bit of a slog for me to get through still though because I was running CR 29's. They're too big for that motor and there's no accelerator pump to help get them going, so if you try to grab a handfull of throttle too quickly, you'll stall out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Valt posted:

Well that is one thing that won’t be a problem on my bike with the webers. I still need to put a actual cam in the thing. But cams are like 350 for these silly things now.

I know. I got the email about the CX-1 cams last week and that hurt a little. It's making me reconsider re-working the F2 top end in lieu of just getting the K7 and K2 motors rebuilt.
I should call and see what a regrind costs because I have some extra cams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
haha that thing is gonna feel like a rocketship with that cam.