Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for running this, corgski! I've signed up.

I do woodworking, cooking, and I used to do pottery before the pandemic. Instead of a purchased tool, I'd much rather get your handmade whatever (including food! Food is good, so long as it ships well!). Odds are I've already bought myself any tool that would be appropriate for this price range.

If I can display whatever you made as art or a curio, all the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Just to add another option for whoever I get paired with: my son was born today :toot:

I means that’s totally DIY when you think about it. :colbert:

Is this a worldwide offer, or are you only willing to ship him within the US?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's awesome! Love the rough-hewn look.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh dang, that looks really nice!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth, I for one am of the opinion that anyone who's received their package should go on and open it already. I know the one I sent has arrived and I don't wanna wait a frickin' month for the recipient to post about it! :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

That's what I get for not checking my mailbox regularly!

Somehow you guessed that my existing spice rack was already overflowing

I also get now why you weren't responding to my comments about this in the discord lol.

Oh, yay! Now I get to share my making of photos.

I hope you like it! And yeah, part of the reason I made this was because my own spice cabinet was overflowing. After I made your gift I went and added an entire extra shelf to the cabinet :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I feel like I ought to recognize the device, but I don't. Some kind of press for forming something? It's a really solid and well-executed piece, whatever it is. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Whatever could this be?!

I wonder why it suddenly got colder the day this arrived....it must have brought some chill with it.

Did it ever bring some chill! It's the BYOB hammock kitty, incredibly beautifully rendered in embroidery!

Thank you Bingo Bango. How Wonderful! of a gift!

Oh, that's lovely!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Holy cow, that's a gorgeous tool.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

I have no idea what you'd use that for in woodworking so I'm just gonna imagine it's a tool for a hitman who's tired of a boring old garrote and wants to do something more exciting with necks.

Basically they're good at quickly peeling slices out of a piece of wood. They're good debarking tools. You can also use them for freehand chamfering stock or putting a taper on it, though you'd probably want to use a more precise tool to get to exact dimensions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

gently caress the USPS :argh:

They're doing the best they can in an unbelievably hostile political environment, and then the pandemic spiked demand for their services like mad. It's no surprise that things are going slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I got a box!

From a fellow woodworker, I see :heysexy:

Oh man, so much cool stuff! Start it out with some cheese straws, that survived the trip unsmashed:

I haven't encountered this particular snack food before, but it's very tasty! I dig the combination of cheddar and cayenne. Thanks for expanding my culinary horizons.

Anyway, follow that up with this colossal mallet!

It's gorgeous! I'm gonna have to work up some courage to actually use it as a mallet, because I don't want it getting dinged up. Per the note, this is made from dogwood, with a BLO (boiled linseed oil) finish.

Next is this lovely African mahogany vase:

I tried to get a closeup of the grain. It has this warmth to it that does amazing things with the light.

I'm going to have to make sure to grow some flowers that I can put in it. They'll look fantastic, I'm sure.

And, because they just don't stop coming, finally there's a sampler of wood stain for me to play with. I haven't done much with stains before, so that will be fun to experiment with.

I'm overwhelmed. Thank you, Kaiser Schnitzel!

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 31, 2020