Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Spaced God posted:

As someone who works extensively with ~the algorithm~ and someone who is fortunate enough to work with some pretty cool folks in my current gig, I had a chat about this kinda stuff a while ago. One of the points I found interesting is that a really easy and really big way to shift the narrative from "the beep boop computer decided that black people are inferior" is to tear down the concept of ~the algorithm~ entirely during explanations and instead shift the phrasing to "the people who programmed this." It sort of takes the passive self-determination of the computer out of it.

Of course, the status quo is in place for a reason so it's hard to actually start that shift in thinking. But, food for thought.

coming from a background in the ~~humanities~~ before studying computer-fu, it is fascinating how hermetic the discipline is in regards to such things

like, for example, the basic brickheaded attitude found even in design and analysis about sitting next to the person who you are going to develop a system for to make their work easier, and letting them tell you what are the problems and what could make it better, then the coder goes "pffft I know better" and makes a very good piece of software that works well but delivers very little in the actual intended purpose, and a lot of people don't get it

(I had a colleague realizing that problem while working at a credit services software systems and he went loving ballistic - he figured out that his code, his labor, was helping people getting in debt and he left asap)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU