Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's not common gossip, they've repeatedly said they're going to and then it's always been as bad as ever. Sometimes worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Because they don't fundamentally change engines.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Does this mean no more Bethesda conferences?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does this mean no more Bethesda conferences?
Friendship ended with Todd Howard.

Now Phil Spencer is my best friend.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Can't wait for Phil Spencer's lies tells me lies, tell me sweet little lies.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You see that mountain of money? You can climb it.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Mulva posted:

We'll finally see if the common gossip that they've wanted to update their engine for years but the ancient liches that resided on the board of directors went "Spend money? lol naw" is true, because there is literally no excuse now. And if they don't people can shut the hell up with that one.

Take that rumor with a bucket of salt. Remember when Todd "It just works" Howard said they upgraded the engine for Fallout? That basically meant more duct tape and a rename. Technically an upgrade but not what everyone else considers "upgrade".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Please please please New Vegas sequel.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Isn't pretty much the entire core of the creative team behind NV gone from Obsidian now besides Sawyer? Gonzalez works for another studio and while Avellone is a freelancer he got outed as a sexpest and probably isn't about to get brought back in.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Please please please New Vegas sequel.
It doesn’t even have to be a sequel. There’s 200+ years of stuff between when the bombs fell and New Vegas. I just want another Fallout by Obsidian.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
After the release of The Outer Worlds, I'm not entirely certain they can pull off another new vegas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What exactly is "wrong" with the Outet Worlds? I haven't played yet because I didn't want to get EGS. Are there fundamental problems with the gameplay or big story plot holes?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's just very uninspired in both the writing and gameplay. Everything about it feels very much "there" and it's not nearly as clever as it thinks.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Just because The Outer Worlds wasn't everything people expected doesn't mean Obsidian can't make other games, with different narratives, using different settings. It also doesn't wash away all the other good games they've made.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No, but it does cause one to examine the personnel they currently have and realize that many of the creative heads behind New Vegas are gone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not the best game, it's spacer's game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly is "wrong" with the Outet Worlds? I haven't played yet because I didn't want to get EGS. Are there fundamental problems with the gameplay or big story plot holes?

It's very short, the RPG mechanics don't mean much, the C&C isn't very inspired, the setting is sold as a satire of capitalism but was written to be Futurama (and not well) and it's just not quite there. For a game studio that knocked everyone's socks off with New Vegas's depth, The Outer Worlds feels like none of that.