Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Booourns posted:

Emptyquoting a tweet isn't much different from emptyquoting a post, and if the tweet links to something substantial you could just link to that instead

Emptyquoting a tweet would be quoting someone else's posted tweet without adding a comment.

Posting a new tweet which contains new information relevant to the thread from a good source is in and of itself new content. Empty quoting a post is not adding something, posting a tweet is adding new information. It is not functionally different from posting a link and typing out a brief headline.

beejay posted:

I can find my own news. If someone wants me to read something, they need to tell me why they think it's worthy of being read or talked about.

The relevance to the thread should be self-evident and obvious, otherwise it may be a low content post. If the tweet is clearly and obviously relevant to the thread, and its new, then why does that tweet without added comment annoy you? We usually have only 1 or 2 of them per page, they do add to the discussion, and its not a big deal.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

Emptyquoting a tweet would be quoting someone else's posted tweet without adding a comment.

Posting a new tweet which contains new information relevant to the thread is in and of itself new content. Empty quoting a post is not adding something, posting a tweet is adding new information. It is not functionally different from posting a link and typing out a brief headline

Yeah, like it or not Twitter has become a source of news in this brave new world. I don't see a problem with posting tweets that are actually informative. That said there are a lot of misleading tweets (there are a lot of misleading headlines and articles too though) and a lot of tweets that get posted from random shitheads and that is kind of annoying.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do you have your time zone and proper daylight savings time setting set in your options?

For what it's worth, the Slow Mode notification appears to be working totally normally for me. Changing my time zone in options changes the Slow Mode time accordingly. Perhaps there's a way of including the time zone in the alert to clarify the issue.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Allow editing of posts when slow mode is on.

Other than that I thought it was okay in USPol but I think 5minutes would be better than 10

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

isaboo posted:

Allow editing of posts when slow mode is on.

Wait, you can't edit while slow mode is on?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

fool of sound posted:

Wait, you can't edit while slow mode is on?

you can edit

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rigel posted:

you can edit

Ok, cool. I didn't think that could possibly be intentional if it was a thing.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

It was incredibly obnoxious.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rigel posted:

you can edit

I absolutely could not edit a post in USPol with slow mode on. I got the alert to wait 10 minutes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

isaboo posted:

I absolutely could not edit a post in USPol with slow mode on. I got the alert to wait 10 minutes.

Are you sure you didn't hit quote? :ohdear:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Pretty sure, yeah. I was using the AwfulApp, made a post and tried to edit it maybe 2 minutes later and received the warning.

If no one else has had trouble with it I'm fine with assuming it was me being a dummy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think I tested in Awful app and confirmed that posts can be edited with slow mode. I also think it's easier to edit and combine multiple responses into a single post when the thread is moving slower, so I didn't have a problem following discussion of multiple topics. I think slow mode is great for uspol and should be on permanently. I can't think of a time where I ever thought, "oh good, Blah posted five times on this page".

Ideally there would be a turn-based mode where you can't post again until everyone else has had their say, but that's probably difficulty to program.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ideally there would be a turn-based mode where you can't post again until everyone else has had their say, but that's probably difficulty to program.

Mutually-assured posting destruction where simply walking away means your posting rival can never post again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
An anti-multiple-post script that automatically combines posts if nobody else posted in the meantime would be slick.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Youth Decay posted:

Personally I think the issues with low effort and general assholery could be solved if mods would actually escalate probation length/bans based on rap sheet. Like if someone is getting a 6'er every week it's clear they aren't actually trying to improve and the probating isn't doing anything. Wouldn't stop the drive-by shitposts but maybe cut down the never-ending arguments between the same few posters.
Strongly agree with this. Without naming people I’ve noticed one particular person who just seems to be itching to argue in bad faith and they had 47 probations over the course of this calendar year. I’m sure it’s more now. That is fuckin bonkers to me and seems like a total failure of the system since clearly nothing is changing or going to change

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

If you don’t want to see people discussing things in real-time, you should probably just read a blog instead of a discussion forum.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
forums arent chatrooms/discords though.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

PhazonLink posted:

forums arent chatrooms/discords though.

The USPOL thread is very clearly treated as a chat thread by the regulars and IKs

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Booourns posted:

The USPOL thread is very clearly treated as a chat thread by the regulars and IKs

So what? On sat n sunday people relax more and the conversation becomes less like a battlegrounds than on a Monday or Wednesday. Threads and forums moods are fluid. If trump blew up the ayatollah tomorrow we'd have a huge interest shift into the ME THread and a bleedover to USPOL EUROPOL etc. All chats in a sense would occur and have the theme of imminent conflict.

Trying to clamp discussion is a loving bad direction to go in. Sensible chat timeouts would be 10-30S. Account specific timers would be more helpful for those who get into scuffs every 15 minutes. With cycling of mods comes regime change in terms of what constitutes a punishment. But the SA username stays consistent throughout the regimes. Don't be known as the group that started the trend of locking down threads. In a few years everyone will have a lock on their threads.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I was open minded to this but after a few days I hate it because it vastly encourages people to edit their responses to included quote blocks from subsequent posts

this is something people have long done if they wanted to snipe a reply to the person right below them, but when people are editing in responses to stuff that's six posts down the page, it's confusing as gently caress

i'd rather just deal with the thread sometime going into spam mode, or posters periodically having late night slapfights before a mod intervenes. That poo poo is easy to filter with ignore buttons or scripts, but when stuff is super out of order, trying to read it feels like stumbling through a Burroughs essay on a low dose of acid.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ok, I've turned off slow mode in USPol for now; I'm going to leave thread open, please post if you notice a major difference in readability or quality.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I just realized it's been a week since I had to skip six pages of crap in uspol, I'll let you know if the streak dies.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Also in USPOL etc.

I only got a message for it once.

I'm curious what's its purpose? It seemed annoying in the moment, but I could see how it might mitigate slapfight derails. I wouldn't even mind slapfight derails if they were ever about something interesting. The actual interesting derails are usually just one poster explaining the science behind how screwed we are because of ocean temperature change in a single big effort post. The boring slapfight derails go on for freaking pages.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked slowmode for USPol because it made catching up with it not a chore. Five pages to catch up with a days worth of news and discussion is easier to manage than fifteen.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I didn’t notice slow mode was on as far as my posting went.

What I have noticed how often people screech to have other people probated and how often probations are handed out.

I literally dont post in the “general election thread” because I just assume it’s going to get my account probated and I will no be able to discuss computer hardware for the day.

Edit: I would suggest a thread without probations but im sure the first page would have the goat man then so idk. I already found my own personal solution anyway just honest feedback.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 30, 2020

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Ah, no wonder I've been having trouble keeping up with USPOL these past couple days.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The people demand slow mode.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
It has 100% prevented me from making deliberately inflamatory low content posts. So I think it should go.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Please start slow mode back up again for USPOL. The fall thread was made yesterday and is already 62 pages long.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah it definately needs to go back on. If people want to have serious, extended conversation about a topic I encourage you to spin off a new thread.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Slow mode for USPOL is good right now

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I made a covid liveposting thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942754 so hopefully that cuts down on the USPol chatter

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I made a covid liveposting thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942754 so hopefully that cuts down on the USPol chatter

Thanks a ton for this.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i like the slow mode. thank you for doing this.

also, im not sure where to put this, but given the events that have caused slow mode to be re-instituted, can we make posting obviously faked photoshoped images and conspiracy mongering (e.g. posting the wild speculation of twitter randos based on zoomed in images) probatable? it's harder to rebut these in threads while slow mode is activated.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

I dislike slow mode. I recently posted in USPol, someone replied with a question and slow mode prevented me from quickly answering (I dropped the subject instead of waiting to reply). Yes, I probably could have edited in a response but that means people read the thread out of order.

When there is breaking news it may stop a few pages of “HOLKY poo poo!!!1!!” and empty posting, but will also stop people from participating. Participation is the life blood of an online community.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Old James posted:

I dislike slow mode. I recently posted in USPol, someone replied with a question and slow mode prevented me from quickly answering (I dropped the subject instead of waiting to reply). Yes, I probably could have edited in a response but that means people read the thread out of order.

When there is breaking news it may stop a few pages of “HOLKY poo poo!!!1!!” and empty posting, but will also stop people from participating. Participation is the life blood of an online community.

I admittedly rarely post in USPOL and have skipped many pages because of the way it moves, but I don't understand this complaint at all. It's ten minutes. If you're posting from the shitter at work then yeah, it sucks, but someone else might be able to answer the question, and you can always answer the next time you get a chance if it's still relevant. I don't particularly mind non-slow mode but still. Overall, what possible SA reply cannot wait ten minutes?

As far as people back-editing replies into their older posts, just probe that imo, because yeah, it makes following the conversation even harder than if we had reddit-style threads. Again, ten minutes to respond, when everyone else has the same wait time, is not some huge thing. If it encourages more people to give input instead of the two most active users at a given time posting back and forth for a page or ten, that's a bonus imo.

As an aside, and again as someone that rarely posts there, this is one thread that I wouldn't solely rely on "regulars" to judge, just because, well, the plurality if not the majority of this site is from the US. It's a thread that a ton of us read even if we rarely post. And indeed one with a lovely reputation that turns people off from reading or posting, which is a shame because lots of good and helpful stuff ends up in there. Ideally a middle ground can be found to minimize white noise* and slapfights without making it onerous to use.

*as people have said this should probably be judged on a case to case basis whatever happens, because yeah, sometimes something crazy will happen and I think it's fair for everyone to get in their "lmfao holy poo poo".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Slow mode owns. There are way fewer lovely arguments because everybody has a chance to cool down and can’t whip out their hot takes as fast as possible.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I don't think I've ever been confused by back-editing of posts, it's usually immediately clear what is happening. It's less annoying to me and easier to follow than responses to questions on prior pages, which happen all the time.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I was confused by one back-edited post in USPol.

If there were more, I must've missed them. They don't seem to be a common occurrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I mostly lurk so slow mode hasn't impacted my posting at all but it's significantly improved the signal to noise ratio. I say keep it on permanently