Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I insist on being able to make fun of the Sixers in front of Euphronious without getting a sixer.

(Joking, I could never betray beautifuly boy Embiid like that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

I insist on being able to make fun of the Sixers in front of Euphronious without getting a sixer.

(Joking, I could never betray beautifuly boy Embiid like that.)

lmao the sixers are Garbo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gas

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

imho the mods can do almost anything as long as they continue to own qcs posters

free crazy cloud last girl and all cspam political prisoners

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ArmZ posted:

imho the mods can do almost anything as long as they continue to own qcs posters

i almost forgot free taintrunner

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Elephanthead posted:

I have 3 fish crew tags and it got me a scroll but my trumpf tower is gone? This is all caused by lazy past ik being lazy and or incompetent. please bring those ik back. thank you.

unfortunately someone borked something in the tower images, now people either have one half or the other

i of course blame bearjew

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor Dave posted:

i of course blame bearjew

very valid position

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
last time was a bloodbath, this feels too easy, you're all making me paranoid

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Plinkey posted:

very valid position

plinkey they keep reporting your terrible food pictures and I keep loling

I just wanted you to know

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
fine.

are forums rules when dealing with suicidal ideation being looked at? I'm glad everything turned out well (i guess) in the most recent situation but I think they could have been handled better.

I think LK mention there was an attempt to reach out to relevant authorities irl when it happened, which I do appreciate.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

plinkey they keep reporting your terrible food pictures and I keep loling

I just wanted you to know

lol, working as intended

thank you for your support

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

last time was a bloodbath, this feels too easy, you're all making me paranoid

imho it's an indication that everything's cool and copacetic on the old cspam

i'd rate the current moderation a 4/5 and have no complaints beyond grumbling about posting jk rowling's terfy tweets which i will do in each thread as and when it occurs, oh and also ladybugs oh god shut the gently caress up about the ladybugs. but those are not matters for this thread

astral
Apr 26, 2004

twoday posted:

IIRC correctly the trump tower image was wiped from the servers at some point (before I was a mod)

Yeah, someone overwrote the top half with a small white square at some point. Thanks to extremely aggressive caching settings it didn't show up as the white square for a lot of people for a long time - just the other day, I still saw the top of trump tower image on my tablet instead of the white square.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

replace the little white square with an even bigger tower

twoday
May 4, 2005

Reality Protester posted:

fine.

are forums rules when dealing with suicidal ideation being looked at? I'm glad everything turned out well (i guess) in the most recent situation but I think they could have been handled better.

I think LK mention there was an attempt to reach out to relevant authorities irl when it happened, which I do appreciate.

First of all, I will say that this was already being worked on before last week.

I will be honest with you, I didn't work on my real job last week at all and I am probably going to have to deal with poo poo at work for it this week. But that's fine, because this was much more important. Not only I, but the other mods, and especially the admins, were deeply concerned with figuring out the right thing to do. There was disagreement at first about the different approaches, and then we came to the common conclusion that this entire issue is beyond our scope as volunteers untrained in this field, and that we should follow the advice of experts. And we were looking up and reading and discussing advice and resources from organizations who are specialized in suicide prevention, and we discussed how we could best integrate their advice into our policy. Developing a clear-cut standard policy that is clearly posted in the mod forum was a top priority. Not only are the mods actually human beings who care about their fellow posters (despite what you may have heard), the stuff that happens on the mod side of the forums when this happens can be very intense, and it can be hard for us to deal with too. And we want to make sure that everyone knows exactly what to do when this happens, and that there is a foolproof system in place, to try to lead to the best possible outcome (as much as we can affect it).

The old policy was just to ban right away if someone did that, and this was a pretty crude solution to a rather complex issue. The new policy is much more nuanced, a lot of thought has gone into it, and there are reasons for every step of it. Those might not seem immediately clear to everyone, but I assure you that these were not flippant decisions. We haven't finalized it yet, and there are still some changes that need to be implemented, but when it is wrapped up we will post about it somewhere, maybe QCS. I just want to re-iterate that a lot of thought and discussion and research has gone into this decision-making process. Anyone who accuses the mods of being heartless is themselves heartless. It's absolutely not the case, and that's a hurtful and hateful accusation to throw around.

I would prefer not to dwell on this topic, but if anyone has further questions about this and wants to discuss it further, please PM me.

twoday has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Sep 22, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

twoday posted:

IIRC correctly the trump tower image was wiped from the servers at some point (before I was a mod)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fine.

the admins reached out to official prevention orgs and they actually have materials geared towards online moderation. I don’t know when the policies will be released but they did a lot of work on them.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

What I like most about mods is when they abuse there power thru pointless challenges, arbitrary probes, and humorous antics like editing posts and avs. My feedback for the mods is plz do more of that.

lk edit: no

Somebody has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Sep 22, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What's it liking being a moderator?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

the admins reached out to official prevention orgs and they actually have materials geared towards online moderation. I don’t know when the policies will be released but they did a lot of work on them.

that is good, I'm glad of this. when the new rules come out, I'm sure there will be people to argue against them. but if they can be referred back to expert advice on the topic, that would do a lot to calm people's minds.

I remember when Ozma announced the new rules about bans for suicidal ideation. this was like early 2010s, and the forums werent quite as dead gay and dying then. I can understand that no one wants to deal with that kind of thing, but those rules always felt very cold to me. the forums are smaller, more communal now, and I don't think it's right to kick people to the curb like that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Roth posted:

we have to read 5 billion posts about trump or succ instead of 5 thousand posts about Star Wars

twoday
May 4, 2005

that is good, I'm glad of this. when the new rules come out, I'm sure there will be people to argue against them. but if they can be referred back to expert advice on the topic, that would do a lot to calm people's minds.

I remember when Ozma announced the new rules about bans for suicidal ideation. this was like early 2010s, and the forums werent quite as dead gay and dying then. I can understand that no one wants to deal with that kind of thing, but those rules always felt very cold to me. the forums are smaller, more communal now, and I don't think it's right to kick people to the curb like that.

agreed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Roth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3p9y_OEAdc

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i demand to be able to post about the prequels being bad without euphronius' retaliation

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

i demand to be able to post about the prequels being bad without euphronius' retaliation

you are under my protection

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

Sounds like he's doing me proud.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
star wars more liek SHART WARS BOOM

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
hoaw much do i need to give to charity to get a svg set at my user icon

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Korean Boomhauer posted:

there’s a charity thread pinned where for the price of 5 dollars to a good cause we can do stuff to your avatar.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Korean Boomhauer posted:

There is no formal exchange rate, but new custom icons are not accepted at this time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I completely missed whatever happened but I'm glad that the old policy is being revisited and it sounds like you are all approaching it the right way.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Bearjew posted:

gently caress u

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Bearjew posted:

you are under my protection

tyrant

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

I can only help those who accept my love

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Bearjew posted:

I can only help those who accept my love

i will always fly free

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ArmZ posted:

white sauce, loogs, turdfuzz, mormon partyboat (who self banned when it was revealed that Lowtax was abusing another woman), and a handed missus if they're banned

also al!

nobody on CSPAM should be banned, as it's tyranny, and it will just amp up our terroristic posting, we are posting hamas

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I think the moderation of CSPAM has been good and is still getting better, and it remains one of the best places to post

however in solidarity with the underclass of regular users I must solemnly repeat: gently caress da mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

in solidarity with the underclass of regular users I must solemnly repeat: gently caress da mods

I see you, I hear you