Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So my 9 year old is huge Odin Sphere fan. How does this game stack up on the kid friendly spectrum? Would he be able to play it? Does it lewd in a way an elementary student shouldn't be exposed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

So my 9 year old is huge Odin Sphere fan. How does this game stack up on the kid friendly spectrum? Would he be able to play it? Does it lewd in a way an elementary student shouldn't be exposed to?

The majority of this game is an old school adventure game that veers pretty close to visual novel territory. Would that be something he would be interested in playing? The RTS side of the gameplay would be fine for him to play, but it is nothing like Odin Sphere.

Besides that I haven't encountered anything really lewd so far, but I'm only like 25% in.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So I don't think there's any doubt that they'll be able to play and finish the game, but I wonder how much they would enjoy it. The game is basically just a book, with combat being accessed from a totally different menu than the rest of the game, so it's nothing like Odin Sphere. The game heavily features time travel and so keeping track of who is where and when across thirteen different people might get really confusing since you never get told like, hey, today is Monday the 15th for this character, you only ever know when someone is based on events that happen and to cross-reference from there. There's also a lot of people to keep track of to the point where even I have to look at a character list every once in a while to make sure I know who they're talking about, since they do the Japanese thing where they interchange first name and last name very frequently. All the characters call one character in particular by his first name, so when the game uses his last name only I have to double-check.

The game will eventually tell you all the twist and turns directly to you, but I think their enjoyment of the game will be based on how much they're able to figure out for themselves, which I have absolutely no idea how they'll do. The non-linear storytelling seem kind of complicated for a fourth-grader.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I probably wasn't much older when I started reading adult oriented SF and fantasy but yeah wether it'd be fun for them would entirely depend on how much they'd enjoy reading a fairly complex time travel story with not much gameplay.

Content-wise there's some heavy themes, murder and stuff, a teacher with big bouncy knockers and a couple of brief panty shots.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This game's buckwild. I'm at 33% story and I'm hitting pretty consistent parts where I pause the game and say "haha what the gently caress"

I'm only about 4 hours in and it already feels like I'm at some mid-to-end game Virtue's Last Reward-level reveals

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Japanese friend seemed to like it a lot so I'm glad impressions here seem to be positive too.

https://www.siliconera.com/yoko-taro-shares-his-thoughts-on-vanillaware-13-sentinels-aegis-rim-and-why-you-must-buy-it/

Taro Yoko did an interview on it. He had nothing to do with the game. :v:

This isn't really like Odin Sphere at all, for the record.

At any rate the characters get (censored) naked when they get into their mechs iirc. I probably wouldn't give it to a 9 year old but you do you.

I also probably wouldn't show a 9 year old odin sphere but maybe I'm an old fashioned stick in the mud about anime tits I guess.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 25, 2020

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
If your kid liked Odin Sphere then you might be better off getting them Muramasa the Demon Blade which is way closer in style/gameplay

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

My Japanese friend seemed to like it a lot so I'm glad impressions here seem to be positive too.

https://www.siliconera.com/yoko-taro-shares-his-thoughts-on-vanillaware-13-sentinels-aegis-rim-and-why-you-must-buy-it/

Taro Yoko did an interview on it. He had nothing to do with the game. :v:

I'm glad that apparently general consensus shares my opinion that Okino is very good and cool.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The fanservice is minor but the overall themes are fairly mature so I'm not sure I would recommend the story bits for a child; destruction mode would probably be okay though, although some of it is gated by story unfortunately.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I kind of like destruction mode? Once I really understood what characters were good at what and how best to play, I kind of actually like the weird session-based progression method. I'm about to start the third combat stage and I haven't used the party healing once. Here's some advice I have if you want to try to play on Insane:

Once you beat 2-1, you get access to the next upgrade screen. Upgrade the bottom stat to level 3 ASAP, it controls how many fights you can do before being exhausted and you only need level 3 to make it so you can do three fights instead of two

Sentry guns are absolutely broken, level them up and unlock them on anyone who has access ASAP. Interceptors are similarly very useful but not as good. Sentries do tons of damage in a line and can easily wipe out the big waves of small aerial ships, but they're also super good at shooting down enemy missiles, which is really helpful because that will help keep your melee units safe from the huge factory enemies

For the melee units, Destruction Blade is obviously good for single-target, but they can feel like a waste otherwise. Tackle is actually amazing because they'll just run into and destroy basically any non-armored unit. The boss stage of World 2 is super fun, I had my melee guys running forward and punching every enemy to death while my ranged units kept setting turrets down to shoot down enemy missiles.

Yuki is amazing and you should get her to level 10 ASAP because Leg Spike combined with her passive skill that increases the damage on it the farther she moves means you can send her off on her own to basically solo a factory unit

Like sentries, the Guardian deploy is amazing also. You can also cast shields on them, which is duration-based invincibility. Enemies will ALWAYS go for them over you

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just finished at 30 hours, this game is awesome. I like the twisty VN genre a lot and I think this pretty easily goes toe to toe with the all timers.

There are a lot of things to compliment about it but I think the most unique thing about it besides the crazy crazy art is the pacing. The lack of massive amounts of VN filler text, plus having the combat side to break up the experience, really makes it flow in a very unique, enjoyable, non-fatiguing way.

Post game question: Is there any particular reason to do the additional combat zone that opens up at the end besides funsies?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I was going to wait for a sale on this even though it's my jam, but if you're in the UK I've found it for £32 brand new on ebay. You can buy it here and use the code POPUPSEPT20 for 20% off. This was a good enough price for me to jump in right now. Fingers crossed it's good!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Just finished at 30 hours, this game is awesome. I like the twisty VN genre a lot and I think this pretty easily goes toe to toe with the all timers.

There are a lot of things to compliment about it but I think the most unique thing about it besides the crazy crazy art is the pacing. The lack of massive amounts of VN filler text, plus having the combat side to break up the experience, really makes it flow in a very unique, enjoyable, non-fatiguing way.

Post game question: Is there any particular reason to do the additional combat zone that opens up at the end besides funsies?

As far as I can tell there's no story or anything in them, so it's just more combat stuff for people who like that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Acerbatus posted:

I also probably wouldn't show a 9 year old odin sphere but maybe I'm an old fashioned stick in the mud about anime tits I guess.

I mean in that game the questionable character designs are Odette and Velvet, for given values of questionable, and Odette is a boss monster so she doesn't come up that much. It's not Dragon's Crown level. Most of it is fighting cute monsters with fancy attacks.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I mean in that game the questionable character designs are Odette and Velvet, for given values of questionable, and Odette is a boss monster so she doesn't come up that much. It's not Dragon's Crown level. Most of it is fighting cute monsters with fancy attacks.

I have completed the game and in the final cutscene it shows two of the characters semi-nude as though they were adam and eve

also this game is incredible and I love the indulgent ending

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 26, 2020

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
just finished/platinumed. now that's what i call a Video Game

credits scene question: that scene with Ida and Miyuki happened before the simulation was rebuilt for this loop, right? little confused on that lol

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I don't know what this game is but I'm amazed how distinct each of these characters are. You can really tell they each have their own independent style and personality just from the drawings!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wow, future-past (alternate dimension?) Amiguchi is kind of a freak huh?

Man, it's so hard to talk about this game without at least mentioning some spoiler because at this point like around 50% of the way into a bunch of routes every time I go down any path there's always a dramatic reveal of some such. It's kind of an art how the game goes about its plot because now that i've got most of the context around the story every twist largely feels like another piece falling into place instead of feeling like it came out of nowhere. I mean it's still bonkers but it makes sense in context of what's going.

It's almost a shame there a pretty decent srpg mode attached to the story because despite it being fun I kinda just want to ignore it to keep reading along.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I think this thread might be kind of desolate for a while because the game is hot spoilers right off the bat, so you basically can't talk about anything

I have a single question/problem that I don't understand and it happens in Ogata's story but I hesitate to even ask because it's so entrenched in a million other story things

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Speaking of Ogata's story, I love the entire premise so much.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Arist posted:

Speaking of Ogata's story, I love the entire premise so much.

very good, very surprising.

Should have guessed Yuki would be Sukeban Deka though. :laffo:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lets hang out posted:

very good, very surprising.

Should have guessed Yuki would be Sukeban Deka though. :laffo:

lol this summary

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay I actually thought of one more thing I'm unsure about. Honestly not even a major spoiler?

The game mentions "the fifteen" but I cant figure out who the last one is supposed to be. There's the 13 characters and then Okino. Is the 15th Aiba?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay I actually thought of one more thing I'm unsure about. Honestly not even a major spoiler?

The game mentions "the fifteen" but I cant figure out who the last one is supposed to be. There's the 13 characters and then Okino. Is the 15th Aiba?

1945's Tamao Kurabe was the 15th one in a pod- she was just out of commission for the vast majority of the story. Incidentally if your question about Ogata's story is what was going on with the D-Key in general, I share in having no idea

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 26, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

No Mods No Masters posted:

1945's Tamao Kurabe was the 15th one in a pod- she was just out of commission for the vast majority of the story. Incidentally if your question about Ogata's story is what was going on with the D-Key in general, I share in having no idea

Okay so I was basically right. Also, yes, you guessed it. It's never mentioned again in Natsuno's story either, which seems weird? Ogata's story just kind of ends abruptly, too, like there was supposed to be more there. Ogata never mentions the key to Hijiyama in his story, either, despite that being the whole point of what he was trying to do in 1985 I thought. Also my final complaint is that I think its kinda weird you never see Professor Douji on-screen.

fake edit: I lied, my real biggest complaint with this game is that there's no Miwako DLC where she gets in a robot

Selane
May 19, 2006

My favorite parts of the game so far: opening the thought cloud whenever I have to go anywhere so I can walk around like :thunk:

also making Miura say "hemborger" 350,000 times

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Beat the game, it ruled. My favorite thing was that the whole game was like someone watched the 80's mecha anime Megazone 23 and thought that they could do it better.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I impulsively bought this this morning and so far I’ve finished the prologue (the whole section marked ‘tutorial’, not just a single character’s prologue section) and people weren’t kidding about it getting going fast.

It’s probably the first VN I’ve played where the opening hasn’t felt like a slog I have to power through to get to the good parts.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I can't believe they want 95$ for this locally (most AAA games are 80.)

But oh well, there's the birthday money gone. This better be good.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

I can't believe they want 95$ for this locally (most AAA games are 80.)

But oh well, there's the birthday money gone. This better be good.

At $7.30 a sentinel that’s a bargain

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Finished the game on Friday.

Miura is best boy

game good

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 27, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just did Miura's "Where Do We Come From?"

:psypop:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Full game spoilers: So did I misunderstand, or was basically everything except the 2188 parts and the epilogue inside a giant VR training program? Lessens the impact of the whole plot when nothing was real at all.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ymgve posted:

Full game spoilers: So did I misunderstand, or was basically everything except the 2188 parts and the epilogue inside a giant VR training program? Lessens the impact of the whole plot when nothing was real at all.

DO NOT READ THIS, SPOILER FOR WHOLE GAME:

There's kind of a lot of things I think about this statement, but I don't really want to write a full page about all of them when the game is still so fresh, but I'll say for now that I do understand where you're coming from. There are still real-life consequences for failing in the kaiju fight, but I think the fact that the entire world is fake sort of diminishes some of the lesser discoveries you make earlier. Namely, the idea that you're not actually time traveling, you're just teleporting between five different thematic domes is way less of a "Haha oh gently caress" moment when you know that the whole thing is fake, anyways. But I think the game has a really interesting approach to the simulation in that they all want to go back in and bring the AI from the simulation into the real world, because that world WAS real to them. The idea of something being "real" or not is toyed with a lot in this game, especially with Ida, and so for someone to say that the fact that the video game they played wasn't "real" made them disappointed is exactly the sort of weird questions I think this game touches on

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ymgve posted:

If they messed up they still would all have been killed. That is why when the loop resets it goes back 16 years. That is the system growing new clone bodies. At least that was how I interpreted it. Also all the virtual people they knew would have been wiped out.

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
Finished the game yesterday. What a ride.

Soundtrack is a bop, if you like sci-fi stuff and adventure games then go for it. Performance tanked like no tomorrow in the final battle, though.

Liking Hijiyama was a given for me, but I got way more attached to Tomi and Miura than I thought I would.

Some minor thoughts:

- Did they ever bring up Natsuno being the one to have the key after Nenji? It felt like Nenji's story was building up to her of all people having it being a Big Reveal and I thought we'd get something out of it, but then it's never really touched upon again. Did I miss something?

- Juro and Megumi are good kids, but I still didn't really feel...anything in the ending about their relationship. Like, good for them I guess, but Juro's sudden realization that he loves her, despite pretty much close to no actual romantic chemistry shown, (and the moment happened after receiving memories of 2188 Juro Izumi's memories of 2188 Megumi and protecting her in a solely platonic way, to boot), fell kinda flat for me. I wasn't too hot on Megumi's route in general, either, so the Adam and Eve-esque ending/coupling of them felt "meh" to me. I know Vanillaware has the chops to do it, too, since I played Odin Sphere and enjoyed Gwendolyn/Oswald as well as the ending a lot, which had a similar "rebirthing the world with Adam and Eve/Líf and Lífþrasir" thing going.

- Regarding the mad scientist who went mad with obsessive grief over his dead love interest, you do not, in fact, gotta hand said dead love interest to them. I get that Miyuki's probably going to be lonely in the satellite, and it makes stuff like her scenes with Ida more tragic if the affection was mutual but one side was so utterly twisted by the end, but Ida and Miyuki/Kisaragi being a basically-item in the ending leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering that Amiguchi slamming him for his selfish obsessive love was one of the highlights of his route.

- I might need to review it again, but I was kind of disappointed in the ending for the Shinonome route. I actually liked the vast majority of her route, unraveling all these mysteries and seeing all of it come together, but from a character standpoint, I think it would've been more emotionally impactful if instead of clinging to her unhealthy love for Ida as her motivation for getting in the Sentinel, she decided to do it because she wants to fight of her own accord, or to prevent 2188 Shinonome's mistakes from happening again. I feel it would've meshed better with her appearance and personality in the ending, where she and Gouto spearhead the project to "bring back" true humans, this time with more narrative impact that she won't repeat the mistakes of her 2188 self, able to move past unhealthy, manipulative love (regarding the same guy, even!) and not fall into despair over humanity's worse tendencies again.

Despite my gripes, I really did have a good time with the game. I sunk hours upon hours just wanting to see what happened next in the story, where they were going, with plot curveball after plot curveball thrown at me. And of course, Okino also okinowns.

I have 97% completed in my Analysis section, but I don't see any more Mystery Files to unlock, and I think I've seen all the events. Am I missing something for the last 3%?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Check you've s-ranked and done all the bonus objectives in every strategy stage, both of those unlock archive items

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah Ogata's story going absolutely nowhere and Natsuno having "the key" never being mentioned again was really strange. Biggest complaint of the game by far. Shinonome's story ending with her still being in denial about Ida is definitely not emotionally satisfying, but is I think an interesting writing choice. Like, for the entirety of her route she's on the precipice of brain damage, can't remember anything, and was so distraught by Ida not being in love with her in 2188 that she decided to intentionally sabotage the project that would continue the species. Like, she was just so far gone that I actually think a happy and uplifting ending for her would feel even more out of place. At least, for her character story anyways, she gets a happy ending in the end.

For Ida, I think it's a lot easier to forgive him considering how so much of the poo poo that he did was influenced by how much of a nightmare the world he lived in was. He had to live through how many destroyed timelines and knew that looping was a thing and so that basically nothing he did outside of getting downloaded to Sector 0 would ever matter. Like, as far as he knew, the world would continue to loop an infinite number of times and nothing he could do could stop it so why not try to find some weird way to find happiness within such a meaningless existence? Like, a LOT of people in this game had kind of given up by the point 1985 came under threat, and were like yeah gently caress it let's just loop, this one's hosed (until they found out they couldn't, that is). Bringing him back in a world that wasn't about to be destroyed and would never be under threat from Kaiju and where time travel was eliminated probably did a lot to chill him out and was why they trusted him with operating the simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah Ogata's story going absolutely nowhere and Natsuno having "the key" never being mentioned again was really strange. Biggest complaint of the game by far.

I think the whole thing with Natsuno having the key was basically supposed to be like, an "oh gently caress do I sell out an innocent person's life for the greater good" dilemma for Nenji, basically the same sort of dilemma Juro Izumi himself faced over and over again, except it's never really followed up on or explained further so it just left me confused.

Some of my favorite moments, though (full game spoilers):

Nenji and Wajima meeting again in the ending. "Goddammit...that's the most beautiful poo poo I ever heard..."

Hijiyama blowing the allowance he got from Okino on yakisoba pans.

Miura and Hijiyama talking about their newfound favorite foods. "You overestimate your borger, my friend!"

Miwako's unflinching kindness being the thing that persuades Prof. Morimura to evacuate the civilians. Miwako is such an angel. :unsmith: I hope she finds the boyfriend of her dreams.