Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spiggy posted:

I've just gotten past the intro and unlocked a few of the characters branching paths. Do the unmarked branches eventually fill in with their requirements, or are the more esoteric requirements the only ones that get shown?

The latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The 13 Sentinels artbook has a fake 80s magazine in it with ads for fake 80s 13 Sentinels and it rules.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finished it, really enjoyed it. Agree that the ending felt like kind of a wind-down, and not all the characters were equally compelling (Like, Gouto is barely even a character), but those feel like relatively minor quibbles honestly. The soundtrack is, again, utterly phenomenal and I'm gonna be listening to it for a while.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

What the actual gently caress that looks dope

Also I played the whole game and liked the English cast a lot. I can totally block out honorifics and those have never really bothered me.

About the pacing: I do kind of agree that the game actually slows down at the end, but I think it felt kind of cool thematically. Getting to the point where the satellite goes down and your team realizes that they're going to lose, you just keep marathoning these maps and your friends are starting to lose faith, and only then are you able to go over to Goutou who asks that Chihiro give them a fair chance, and that feels really great

Mazer__
Jul 29, 2003

Mid/Late game spoiler question: I saw it in the mystery files, but I don't remember the in-game scene where Miura's head thing is explained. Anyone remember what section that was in?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I haven't gotten very far into the game, but playing battles Tomi is definitely my favorite so far as she rains down missiles like hellfire and brimstone.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Beat the game! There’s lots of little things that I think really added to the quality:

Being able to adjust the auto-text wait.
A good variety of battle music, each one with its own unique victory fanfare and results screen music.
The cool sound filter put over keywords floating in thought clouds.
In addition to a hard stop, everyone has a specific animation for slowing down to a stop from running.
Localization going the extra step of adding cultural footnotes to mystery files.
The dramatic terminator-style shifting that always starts with a faint glow, a gust of wind, and air popping as sparks suddenly appear before a bright flash of energy. So loving cool every time.

This arguably isn’t a little thing, but I deeply appreciate that the sound design is top-notch. Especially in Destruction mode, where it sells the sound effects of doing cool robot poo poo while in tactics view, which helps you feel the impact of landing a big punch or locking onto a thousand targets and launching a thousand missles.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Do all the plot threads tie together nicely? This game has a lot of balls in the air. (I’m 22% through Remembrance, 55% through Juro.)

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I think it does. To a degree that kind of amazes me, because I can’t imagine how much writing and editing it must have taken.

Beezel
Mar 13, 2015
https://twitter.com/Naked_T/status/1228950709913022465

The devs laid out a giant loving crazy person conspiracy board that shows when and where everyone is at any given moment and when and where their routes intersect

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Beezel posted:

https://twitter.com/Naked_T/status/1228950709913022465

The devs laid out a giant loving crazy person conspiracy board that shows when and where everyone is at any given moment and when and where their routes intersect

that's fantastic

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I gotta say, from the limited bits I saw so far this game looks incredibly generic compared to insane Nordic mythology creatures, but I love ridiculously convoluted out-of-order stories.

How generic is it really? Any crazy designs? I didn't even see any of the kaijus or anything in previews. I don't want to risk spoilers, since the story seems much more of a focus this time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The character designs are more down to earth than vanillaware's usual fare, but I don't think that means they're generic.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just wrapped up the platinum.

What a fantastic loving game. This is probably going to be my final game this gen and it’s a hell of a send-off for my PS4.

Edit: the extra ending you can go and view once you’re dumped back to the menu is very cool and easily overlooked, make sure you go check it out at the bottom of the events list!

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 3, 2020

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Just beat it and...

Endgame spoilers

This game has a giant huge lazy programmer stack overflow joke in it and I love it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ryoko's route is pretty obnoxious with all the splits. I managed to get up to 75% complete before I got locked out but I do have some questions.

How do I get the term Survellience Records in the beginning? It seems like I exhausted all my options there. What is the third thing I can do in the cafeteria besides going to the nurses office or talking to Tomi?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
still early in the game and just want to say that i despise this cat. this cat is an rear end in a top hat. this cat is like the cat from coraline and lucifer had a cranky baby

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mill Village posted:

Ryoko's route is pretty obnoxious with all the splits. I managed to get up to 75% complete before I got locked out but I do have some questions.

How do I get the term Survellience Records in the beginning? It seems like I exhausted all my options there. What is the third thing I can do in the cafeteria besides going to the nurses office or talking to Tomi?

The characters routes are generally way more linear than they present themselves as so some more options will likely start appearing as you clear locks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mill Village posted:

Incredibly minor layout spoiler, no story elements are included but better safe than sorry.

It loops back around to the Surveillance Records block once you get to the final section, to be honest they probably could have laid the visual path out a little better for her route.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I haven't finished her route, or seen that event, but I figure it's laid out that way because she knows she's forgotten something important. maybe a little clever

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I drove 30 mins to the closest place that had Yakisoba and they would not do pan. After I got home with "traditional style", it was not like how I remember it when I had it in Hawaii 20 years ago...

:negative:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hmmm...

edit: Does it matter where you spend these Mystery Points? I spent a couple and they seemed to just reveal information that I already learned in events.

Also, it took me an uncomfortably long time to figure out how to (very early Fuyusaka route event) feed the cat. I ate like 20lb of crepes and ice cream until figuring out that you have to walk towards the cat while you have your thought cloud thing open and then press triangle towards the girls while facing away from the cat (or at least this is the only thing that worked for me and didn't spook the cat).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 5, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Does it matter where you spend these Mystery Points? I spent a couple and they seemed to just reveal information that I already learned in events.

No, you can get more than enough mystery points to unlock everything. Any excess points get converted to meta-chips once you’ve unlocked it all.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Is there anything to unlock in Destruction Area 4 after the story?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Seedge posted:

Is there anything to unlock in Destruction Area 4 after the story?

No, it’s just more combat waves if you’re into it.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Beat the game. Missing one memory and needing one unlock chip. Is there a place I can grind one single one even if I have S rank on everything? Last thing I need before a plat.

Also need a full wiki to explain wtf.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

tensai posted:

Beat the game. Missing one memory and needing one unlock chip. Is there a place I can grind one single one even if I have S rank on everything? Last thing I need before a plat.

Also need a full wiki to explain wtf.

You can replay any post-tutorial mission, it also gives you points based on total score.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

spoils everything so why was the professional space assassin included as one of the 15

e: for people who have finished the game, here's a spoiler q&a with Kamitani. didn't realize 2188 Ryoko was the very last living human, oof.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 7, 2020

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Also, it took me an uncomfortably long time to figure out how to (very early Fuyusaka route event) feed the cat. I ate like 20lb of crepes and ice cream until figuring out that you have to walk towards the cat while you have your thought cloud thing open and then press triangle towards the girls while facing away from the cat (or at least this is the only thing that worked for me and didn't spook the cat).

I said “gently caress it” and looked it up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
currently 38% of the way through the story and just realized (probably juro route spoilers) shiba doesn't loving exist on any route other than juro's, and i'm pretty sure he never actually interacts with anyone besides juro on the route where he does. he's always in the background but never acknowledged. this dude's some kind of phantom incarnation of juro's nanomachine corruption or something and i hate that VN plots make sentences like this possible

i pegged "fluffy" as some kind of time-displaced tetsuya ida right off but this loopy-rear end plot still has me jumping at shadows

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Fluffy reveal is one of the best scenes in the entire game

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Which Fluffy reveal?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The metachips one

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I got to the Shiba (Juro 70ish percent) reveal last night and yelled because you’re right it’s so obvious but I didn’t notice

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

wuggles posted:

I got to the Shiba (Juro 70ish percent) reveal last night and yelled because you’re right it’s so obvious but I didn’t notice

KEEP GOING

also the twist is pretty much given away if you go through Shu's route, you replay a scene from Juro's route 1:1 except Shiba isn't there

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 7, 2020

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Finished the game tonight. The final battle had some very satisfying EDF-esque F R A M E R A T E. Thought the system might not handle it there on some of those Missile Showers and Super Large Missiles.

Although I guess you could say the system didn't handle it

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

HOLY loving poo poo I just finished Juro’s story oh
my god what the gently caress

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Couldn't put this game down even though I desperately tried to pace myself. The game is an incredible work making something coherent and unique out of a dozen plus homages and love letters to various media, kind of in the same spirit as Stranger Things. While the ending isn't as tight as it could be I get how much was left on the cutting room floor and I think they really nailed going for theme. I really dug the messaging of love overcoming the selfish and violent actions of their past selves/originals. I think Shinonome's last part was supposed to be really bittersweet, like the idea that at the time of the Final Battle she was so mentally annihilated from the damage that the only thing she had left was fighting in the mech. I'm glad Kamitani's interview has a more optimistic spin on it. The game's music and atmosphere is incredible, and the Shiba memory erasure jump scare and Natsuno in the stall during the Girls' Bathroom fight are some top notch moments.

I feel a little bad about the combat because from the get-go I just did terminal upgrades for multipliers and would use all of my terminal skills on score multipliers, so before I cleared Area 2 everyone had full kits available and Yuki hit +8 on her Leg Spikes. :black101: Destruction mode is really satisfying in an arcadey kind of way but absolutely could make use of longer waves or just tougher stuff because Intense left me with only one map getting an A on first plays. While I understand it's kind of ancillary it just leaves me hungry for a more substantial experience because it pulls of a very simple but satisfying bit of strategy. It's just about the only game I would ever ask for an "Endless" mode to just put your teams to their limits and try try again.

lets hang out posted:

e: for people who have finished the game, here's a spoiler q&a with Kamitani.

It would be criminal for people in this thread to miss this link, with the all important ending in the Yakisoba pan v. Hemborger debate: "the conclusion to Miura and Hijiyama’s argument over yakisoba-pan and hamburg steak would have been them eating hamburgers, with Hijiyama proclaiming that America is indeed a fearsome country."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

DO NOT READ THIS, SPOILER FOR WHOLE GAME:

There's kind of a lot of things I think about this statement, but I don't really want to write a full page about all of them when the game is still so fresh, but I'll say for now that I do understand where you're coming from. There are still real-life consequences for failing in the kaiju fight, but I think the fact that the entire world is fake sort of diminishes some of the lesser discoveries you make earlier. Namely, the idea that you're not actually time traveling, you're just teleporting between five different thematic domes is way less of a "Haha oh gently caress" moment when you know that the whole thing is fake, anyways. But I think the game has a really interesting approach to the simulation in that they all want to go back in and bring the AI from the simulation into the real world, because that world WAS real to them. The idea of something being "real" or not is toyed with a lot in this game, especially with Ida, and so for someone to say that the fact that the video game they played wasn't "real" made them disappointed is exactly the sort of weird questions I think this game touches on

The cities aren't fake, but rather they are circuit boards that the pod people are using their soldering iron robo avatars in order to stave off the nanomachine mobo rebuild crew. It's all really happening! Just tiny-wise. S.O.OS.

Layers within layers :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawke
May 1, 2008
I'm picking this up ASAP, I've never played a Vanillaware game so I'm going in completely blind with no expectations at all. Everything I've heard so far sounds incredible.

Since you can replay anything past the tutorial nothing's missable then? I can see myself 100%ing this and I don't want to miss out on anything.