Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Cross posting from the chat thread, but I'm liking this a lot. It's so hard to put it down since there's a new shocking development every 20 minutes. I would love to see some kind of documentary on how they built and planned out the story. I'm also liking the combat a lot more than I thought. It seemed pretty easy, and then I got to 1-8, and then suddenly the game started chugging because there were so many enemies. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I just finished the game and just...wow. What an absolutely incredible experience. There's so much to love about this game I can't even begin. All the characters were amazing, the plot is easily up there as one of my favorite video game stories of all time, the music was great, and even though the combat was fairly easy on Normal (Intense has been giving me a challenge for S ranks), it's so satisfying and fun. I guess I should check out other Vanillaware games now? Not expecting them to be the same as 13 Sentinels, but I'm interested to see what else they've done.

I think I need time to process everything because I'm kind of speechless.

Now time to read the thread and catch up on what I've missed!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Looper posted:

most of their other games play almost nothing like 13 sentinels but they're all at least interesting

grimgrimoire is probably the most similar but it's a very clunky console rts. odin sphere leifthrasir, muramasa rebirth, and dragons crown are all fantastic action rpgs. odin sphere in particular has a somewhat similar narrative structure with multiple playable characters moving through events at different times and is the vanillaware game I'd recommend most after 13s. just be sure to play the newer one and not the ps2 original

I'll definitely check those out!

EDIT: Unrelatedly, I love the art in this game and I'm sad that I can't seem to find any good desktop wallpapers sized for dual monitor setups.

EDIT 2: I'm listening to the soundtrack and I was reminded that the last level does one of my favorite tropes. I always love when the final battle music brings in the main theme during the big climactic part.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 20, 2021

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Are we...winning?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

The Remix & Arrange album should be out soon/is already out, so hopefully they announce some kind of digital release or something. As an FYI, the album art has some really big spoilers, so avoid it if you can!

Kingtheninja posted:

So just as I was wrapping my head around the Time travel concept along comes the Talking cat bargain and back to square one.

:getin:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

13 Sentinels owns because it is anime

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Fedule posted:

On August 4th the PS4 version's getting patched to bring it to parity with the Switch version. Enjoy them sentries while they last. But also look forward to the new techs.

Guess I know what I'm replaying in August!

Also would be nice if they can optimize the performance like the Switch version but that's probably not feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Fedule posted:

Depending on exactly what they optimised it may well be feasible, like, if it was all middleware stuff and logic it will be almost automatic, but if it was deep nonsense specific to Tegra it'll be a long shot. But at the same time, the VN parts all ran at a perfect 60 anyway, there were literally zero load times, and the Missile Rain Dip was very aesthetic and we all loved it.

Yeah, I would be perfectly fine with Missile Rain keeping as is. Felt oddly satisfying to cause so much destruction that the console couldn't keep up.