Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Windmill Hut posted:

At some point in the last 6~ months Rocket League seems to have become way more toxic.
Have you reached the semi-arbitrary border between ranks in the last 6 months?
You'll get a bunch of go back to gold/plat/diamond comments if you have a bad session and are on one end of a rank or the other.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If anyone is being explicitly toxic in my 2v2s I tell them to stop or ill score own goals and if they don't I'll start OGin till they have a mental breakdown. I've only done it twice this year but it was very satisfying particularly the time the other team apologise for my team mate lol
You can be reported for this and temporary banned if you didn't know. (If you actually physically throw a match/own goal on purpose)
The other person, as long as they are careful with their words, wouldn't be penalized.

It is hard to not ever get tilted, but I've just about managed it myself. If I fail it's usually time for a break.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

You can be reported for this and temporary banned if you didn't know. (If you actually physically throw a match/own goal on purpose)
The other person, as long as they are careful with their words, wouldn't be penalized.

Oh I know but I only ever do it if the other person if being obnoxiously toxic and i've asked them to stop it, not just for someone spamming "Nice Shot!" 5 times for missing an open goal

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

EmbryoSteve posted:

It seems to me that people chat less than ever in RL. I'm always using the quick chat out of habit, nice shot, great pass, gg etc. But nobody ever quick chats back :((

There’s probably more people than ever who like me have turned off all quick chat and comms. The “what a save!” buddy at the first sign of a mistake just sours the whole thing for me.

Aside from the toxic chat, though, the most aggravating thing for me is in 1s when an opponent gladly skips the replays except for his own goals. By the time I have to watch a guy slowly roll a ball into my net for the second time I’m ready to alt-f4. It’s very effective psychological warfare.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I just ore goals than they do and make them watch every microsecond

Or I lose 5 nil but whatever

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have noticed people being more toxic recently. I'm not sure if this is just a trend or if it's because, despite having played casually for a while, this is the first season where I'm genuinely trying hard to rank up. The very instant they made voice chat a thing I turned it off, though, so I wonder what I'm missing and I also wonder if its addition has something to do with it.

I have reported two players recently for getting pissy and intentionally throwing the game, and I got notifications saying that "action was taken", so I guess it's worth reporting toxic players.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Have you reached the semi-arbitrary border between ranks in the last 6 months?
You'll get a bunch of go back to gold/plat/diamond comments if you have a bad session and are on one end of a rank or the other.
The worst I've seen was in c1d3 in 3's, everyone was telling everyone else "HAVE FUN STUCK IN C1 LOL"

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I have reported two players recently for getting pissy and intentionally throwing the game, and I got notifications saying that "action was taken", so I guess it's worth reporting toxic players.
Certain words are a guaranteed "action was taken," other times I'm just adding a tally for when they really step over the line. But the text chat that really gets folks riled up is '?'

It's an open invitation for them to take the innuendo/suggestions and put some gamer words into it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

JawnV6 posted:

Certain words are a guaranteed "action was taken," other times I'm just adding a tally for when they really step over the line. But the text chat that really gets folks riled up is '?'

It's an open invitation for them to take the innuendo/suggestions and put some gamer words into it.

In my case it wasn't what was said, but that they deliberately threw the game by making two obvious self-goals in a row after spending the rest of the game spamming "Nice shot!/save!" any time a teammate missed anything.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

In my case it wasn't what was said, but that they deliberately threw the game by making two obvious self-goals in a row after spending the rest of the game spamming "Nice shot!/save!" any time a teammate missed anything.

Own goals are a way of life, friend

https://media.gifyourgame.com/LimbateThinnishFunkykong_720p.mp4

J
Jun 10, 2001

I think rocket league has surpassed overwatch for most smurf infested game I have ever played, like god drat. I love having to start the first minute of every goddamn plat lobby sizing up everyone to see how many smurfs are gonna be air dribbling this game and evaluating how much control they actually have during their air dribbles. I guess the upside is I'm quite comfortable now at defending lovely air dribbles but I'm still encountering way more players than I should that are doing poo poo like double taps and flip resets and other crazy poo poo I don't even know the names of. My friends and I are trapped in this smurf timeloop where we have a bunch of dishonest games like this, then it's like we're the ones smurfing when we gain it all back after some honest games. Christ I just want to play people who suck as much as we do. Every goddamn f2p game is like this nowadays. :argh:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
sucks to suck

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Those people suck in other ways

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
this thread is sadly quite inactive for a such a popular game

post your fun clips everyone, like this sick 0 second winner

https://i.imgur.com/rUdEAhv.mp4

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

The Discord is much more popular, which I think is why this thread is so quiet. People should join it! https://discord.gg/BGfVqvyR

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

pik_d posted:

The Discord is much more popular, which I think is why this thread is so quiet. People should join it! https://discord.gg/BGfVqvyR

ah that makes sense. i don't really use discord much but i shall join it anyway.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

The synchronized double commit was very pretty.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It's been years since I played but here's what I got.

https://clips.twitch.tv/HomelySmellyPanHassaanChop

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

J posted:

I think rocket league has surpassed overwatch for most smurf infested game I have ever played, like god drat. I love having to start the first minute of every goddamn plat lobby sizing up everyone to see how many smurfs are gonna be air dribbling this game and evaluating how much control they actually have during their air dribbles. I guess the upside is I'm quite comfortable now at defending lovely air dribbles but I'm still encountering way more players than I should that are doing poo poo like double taps and flip resets and other crazy poo poo I don't even know the names of. My friends and I are trapped in this smurf timeloop where we have a bunch of dishonest games like this, then it's like we're the ones smurfing when we gain it all back after some honest games. Christ I just want to play people who suck as much as we do. Every goddamn f2p game is like this nowadays. :argh:

IME, plat's that range where you start seeing guys who have done grinding on certain specific mechanics and can bust out some nice feats in that narrow scope, but then make some pretty glaring blunders. It's where people know the game enough to have put in time, but they're not well-rounded yet. They probably focus on what they find fun.

The air dribble double tap fella from your games probably cuts across both his tm8s to get that ball rolling up the wall only to whiff the finish and get scored on by you guys. But then your team probably does a double-commit on the dribble save due to the intimidation of it because of plat. From my POV, I know for sure I'm decent at basic aerials and can semi-reliably do a fast aerial, and I know where to be and rotate, but I in no way can dribble and control a ball close to me or set up a flick. I can't do anything off the wall that involves more than driving into the ball or a minimal jump. Because of these big gaps and probably others, I fail to capitalize on a lot of opportunities, but catch me in the air and I seem higher level.

But if you come across a real solid smurf that can just singlehandedly dismantle your team - I'm talking weirdo air moves, perfect shots, always in the right place sort of deal-- then that's just a gift for you. Save that replay as hard as possible and watch it from his perspective.

I've used this strategy to absolutely dominate plat 1 in 3s and now I own plat 2 div 2 :chord: until I lose 5 in a row later.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've went from Diamond 2 - div 3 to Diamond 3 - div 4 over the weekend, last push for Champion and then i can retire happy

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i believe in you jbj, you can do it.

diamond is the worst, I spent over a year stuck in diamond 3, so long that the rltracker graph doesn't even go back far enough to see it all

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

I haven’t played much lately but this is the last thing in my GYG list and it was pretty good: https://www.gifyourgame.com/FlippingArmlessWasuhd

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

i believe in you jbj, you can do it.

diamond is the worst, I spent over a year stuck in diamond 3, so long that the rltracker graph doesn't even go back far enough to see it all

Would be funny to see a graph over my progress in the ranks. Or rather, stagnation. It's very weird how it happens: I'll come back after a break and, even though I'll feel rusty, I'm doing okay. I get a groove going and usually unlock my GC title for the season. Then I regress and languish in C3 (sometimes even C2) for up to a week. After that I have a period where I start to remember how to properly play again, and I rise in ranks, topping out at around 1550-1600, so sometimes even into GC2. It really feels like I've turned a corner.

Then, and I have no idea why it happens, I just turn to poo poo. I can't hit the ball properly anymore, my air-dribbles become useless, I misjudge aerials and miss the ball completely. This makes me uncertain in myself, so I end up too passive and allow the opponent to score, then in compensation I become too aggressive and become a useless 3rd player. My rank collapse down into the champs until I uninstall the game in a rage and swear that I'm not going on that treadmill again.

Then next season I do it all over again :v:

It's my biggest frustration that I can't figure out why my level is so inconsistent. Maybe I just have a weird brain :/

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Some are legit smurfs, others are extremely not well rounded.

They used to frustrate me but eventually I got really good at foiling their "sick air dribbles" or if they are really good I will not allow them to even get started.

Then I can beat them with my (more) well roundedness.

Most of them do a fancy thing that totally misses the net and wasn't a threat to begin with, 80% of the ones I encounter hit my sides back corner and sometimes the ball bounces back towards their net on its own.

If you get to where you can defend better or nip it in the bud and stop panicking they will be the ones panicking when you respond with your best sick moves.

It just sucks when your teammates can't defend the shots or score and you feel like you're playing solo against a higher level threat.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

Ovenmaster posted:

Would be funny to see a graph over my progress in the ranks. Or rather, stagnation. It's very weird how it happens: I'll come back after a break and, even though I'll feel rusty, I'm doing okay. I get a groove going and usually unlock my GC title for the season. Then I regress and languish in C3 (sometimes even C2) for up to a week. After that I have a period where I start to remember how to properly play again, and I rise in ranks, topping out at around 1550-1600, so sometimes even into GC2. It really feels like I've turned a corner.

Then, and I have no idea why it happens, I just turn to poo poo. I can't hit the ball properly anymore, my air-dribbles become useless, I misjudge aerials and miss the ball completely. This makes me uncertain in myself, so I end up too passive and allow the opponent to score, then in compensation I become too aggressive and become a useless 3rd player. My rank collapse down into the champs until I uninstall the game in a rage and swear that I'm not going on that treadmill again.

Then next season I do it all over again :v:

It's my biggest frustration that I can't figure out why my level is so inconsistent. Maybe I just have a weird brain :/

don't worry, I am pretty sure stuff like this is perfectly normal for a good chunk of players, myself included

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Nitr0 posted:

sucks to suck

Teach me how to speedflip so I can get out of Gold 1v1

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Teach me how to speedflip so I can get out of Gold 1v1
I need to re-practice my kickoffs for a spell myself, but you can beat a "lovely speedflip" with a delayed kickoff.
Failing that even a single flip or straight boost to ball if done right can make enough contact that even if you technically lose the kickoff if your recoveries are dope you can recover from a bad start some of the time.

A game changer for me was binding free air roll to power slide because you can't power slide in the air or air roll on the ground.
Practice landing optimally with free air roll and hold power slide when you do land to keep momentum and maybe try tapping it some for sick cuts and to feather a turn when supersonic to stay supersonic.

You shouldn't need speedflip before champ, a lot of people mess them up as well.

One's is its own beast a lot of higher level people warm up in ones

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I was being cheeky cause anyone speedflipping in Gold 1s is clearly a smurf. It's about one in four players or at least feels that much.

My kickoffs are generally bad though. I've practiced speedflipping and it's not gone great either. Luckily for me it's totally normal to be bad at Rocket League

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Do the new (and ugly) cartoon-saturated arenas play poorly for anyone else? I'm playing on Xbox One X and every other arena still plays super smooth, but the saturated variants they introduced a season or two ago are super choppy. The new one, Deadeye Canyon (Oasis) is unplayable every time I'm put in it.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I had heard that some people were having such issues. I'm on PC, and everything runs smoothly, so it's probably a matter of the console versions not being optimized as well...?

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm pretty pleased with this Boomer Ball goal:

https://i.imgur.com/Xl0R9Hn.mp4

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Lemon posted:

I'm pretty pleased with this Boomer Ball goal:

https://i.imgur.com/Xl0R9Hn.mp4

Nice follow!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Do the new (and ugly) cartoon-saturated arenas play poorly for anyone else? I'm playing on Xbox One X and every other arena still plays super smooth, but the saturated variants they introduced a season or two ago are super choppy. The new one, Deadeye Canyon (Oasis) is unplayable every time I'm put in it.

I play on Switch, I see no change in visual quality

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Is there incentive to buy Rocket Pass beyond cosmetic rewards? Like does it try to match you with other players that paid up? I doubt it, but I wish it did, because there's so many things that just suck about the ranked matchmaking. Admittedly I'm not great and having trouble getting better than Gold ranking but it doesn't help that you're constantly dealing with:

- teammates rage quitting early on in a match. Why does losing a match where your team is at a major disadvantage for most of the match still count against your rank??
- teammates who apparently haven't figured out that your team winning is more important than them getting the highest score, so they steal or gently caress up your better shot for their worse shot.
- I feel like it shouldn't try to match a team of randos to a group that is clearly friends communicating with each other.

and I said this before but I find that the only time this stuff isn't constant is if I play late at night. I wish I knew what the game was like before free to play.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

You get your credits back if you get to tier 110 (I think) which works out to about 15 games a week. It's entirely and solely for cosmetics (although the XP bonus is nice if you don't have all the level-based avatar borders unlocked, but that's just more cosmetics).

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Rocket Pass gives significant XP boosts per match and I think enough credits to buy the next one if you don't spend anything. I feel like I get my money's worth of it most seasons

Gold sucks, because some people understand the fundamentals of this cooperative game, and some people very clearly do not understand cooperation and are just aggressive. You're some how stuck in an arena where a random assortment do and the rest don't. It's not that fun sometimes

Keep playing, focus on defense or mid field because most teams at gold will be double or triple committing on shots, leaving your goal wide open. Get good at aerials, someone who can consistently hit aerials first and hit them well can carry a whole team in some gold matches. You can't control people quitting, so get comfortable in doubles and singles so that you know what to do when someone inevitably rage quits or just never moves. Mathematically, you have to run into 3 man parties, and your gold teammates can't be expected to adapt to the opposing team's specific skills and play style, so you have to be able to read plays better and be more flexible to compensate

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

The game is still alive. On the eSports side of things the World Championships start today. Today through Sunday they are running a Swiss bracket to whittle down 16 teams to 8, those 8 will move on to the main bracket next weekend. They'll face the top 8 teams from the regular season there. Stream here: https://twitch.tv/rocketleague and if you want to link your account to your Twitch account and get drop items for watching click here: https://esports.rocketleague.com/rewards/

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It's a shame Squishy won't be playing.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's a shame Squishy won't be playing.

No it isn't. They're not playing because their team has been really bad. Rather see the teams that are playing well.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Player-to-Player Trading will be removed from Rocket League on December 5 at 4 p.m. PST

I wouldn't care about this (I haven't traded in years.) except they had a bunch of layoffs recently, so I can't say I'm not worried about the future of the game :(

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Cool. Cool.

https://twitter.com/RLRecon/status/1717206383311863891

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble