Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah, solo standard was less than a tenth of the standard playlist, despite being exactly the same game. And the attitude was a lot worse. If I had to guess why, based on my own experiences: Firstly, you've got fewer people in the playlist, so it's slower to find games and harder to get higher ranks. Secondly, because it's harder to get higher ranks lots of players are much lower than they are in 3v3 which irritates them. Third, because the ranks are lower some people feel like they should just be able to solo-carry their team and outplay everyone, and when this doesn't work they only get more frustrated and play worse. I saw a lot of Diamond players going through this cycle complaining that they were Champ elsewhere like they were only in Diamond playing with these awful people due to some error.

I did tend to play it when I didn't want to deal with unranked games becoming one team stomping on a succession of different bots, thinking that with matchmaking bans in play people would be less determined to quit after any single goal goes in, but... that didn't really work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

The Fattest PI posted:

Why did they take out solo standard?

I'm not whining I'm curious. I would play that when my normal teammates weren't available when I had the itch. 2v2s and 1v1s are like completely different games and I wanted to refine my game for my teammate bros, so I'd queue for solo standard.

Was there just not enough interest? I admit there was a hilarious amount of toxicity. Like you get scored on in the first minute and someone starts a forfeit vote, and if it doesn't work they just sit idle for the rest of the match. I guess I can still queue for 3v3s but it'll affect my rank with my team, and i'll be up against premade teams that will probably win.

They claim to have tweaked the matchmaking in 3v3 to try to put teams vs teams and solos together to compensate for this, but who knows how well that works in reality.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

TheDarkFlame posted:

Third, because the ranks are lower some people feel like they should just be able to solo-carry their team and outplay everyone, and when this doesn't work they only get more frustrated and play worse.

Yeah I fell into this trap somewhat hah
With my team we were ranked like diamond 1, but I started at like silver 2 in solo standard. I'd start out playing like I do with my team, making passes, rotating back, assuming the other players were doing similar things etc. Then I'd watch as easy goals/saves got completely missed or even ignored so then I'd have to play more aggressively which kinda worked but also made me super annoying to play with, even when I went back to playing with my team.

Yeah I guess I don't miss it much.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

JammyB posted:

My god, how hard can it be to code basic matchmaking logic in space year 2020? Played about 10 matches and already facing players who have fantastic air control and blingy cars. I'd have thought today of all days it would be possible to find matches with other newbies.

The season just started so literally everyone is unranked or still creeping their way to their true rank. I played for a few months in 2015 when it came out and then didn't pick it back up until early this week. I'm Gold 1. Sometimes the matches will be really awful if the other team has majority unranked people on it since they could be amazing and just school us or they could be dumpster tier and we win 10 - 0. The good news is that as far as I can tell today, matchmaking feels better since I assume everyone is already starting to hit their true rank. I feel the games I get are pretty fair with most of them going to overtime.

I'm also trying desperately to get better. The aerial tutorial whoops my rear end past rookie.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Solo standard was a cesspool. I only played that to play a ranked mode where I absolutely didn't care about the rank.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

This game is so much fun. I haven't smiled and laughed this must playing a game in ages.

I play a lot of Warzone, and I find Rocket League is the ultimate "palette cleanser" to play after I get too wound up playing (and losing) in Warzone.

It's also great that I can have a few beers and it doesn't really impact my performance.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Just to be clear, I pretty much exclusively play duos.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Well, 340-odd hours in, and for the first time my Rumble rank unexpectedly turned to Gold.

I've never been so happy to be :mediocre:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I cannot stress enough that this UI is really frustrating to navigate for me. Why do I have to claim everything? Why is the llama stuff hidden behind another screen? Why does everything UI related take longer?

Bleeerrrrrrrgh. At least the Skyline is still cool. Me love.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

I cannot stress enough that this UI is really frustrating to navigate for me. Why do I have to claim everything? Why is the llama stuff hidden behind another screen? Why does everything UI related take longer?

Bleeerrrrrrrgh. At least the Skyline is still cool. Me love.

apparently F2P people are super dumb and this is the only thing they understand.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Speaking of the llama stuff, is there no way to actually claim it on the PS4? I can get tot he screen where I see the rewards and the "claim" buttons, but can't seem to actually select them to claim. Great UI update++

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Lumpy posted:

Speaking of the llama stuff, is there no way to actually claim it on the PS4? I can get tot he screen where I see the rewards and the "claim" buttons, but can't seem to actually select them to claim. Great UI update++

Back out to the main challenge screen and go back to the llama challenges again. You might have to do it multiple times.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The revised UI really sucks. You have to back out and go back into the challenge screen to be able to claim things, when you do claim them it hangs on the loading screen so you have to back out but it doesn't actually show you what you got, it's extremely slow and seems buggy.

I don't doubt they'll polish it somewhat but for a "finished" product it's really rudimentary and kind of embarrassing. Also, scrolling through your inventory still takes waaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Raposa posted:

Back out to the main challenge screen and go back to the llama challenges again. You might have to do it multiple times.

The old "turn it on and off again until it works" strat. How did I not think of that! Thanks.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The real answer is “use the mouse”, and get hosed if you’re on console I guess.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I'm trying to link my old Steam account but when I try to go to the rocketleague.com/activate page it just errors out.

Is this just me or are other people seeing this same error?

edit: got it working. Just had to select Epic as primary first, then going in and linking Steam account worked.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 1, 2020

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Lumpy posted:

The old "turn it on and off again until it works" strat. How did I not think of that! Thanks.

Holding Up when you click into that screen seems to enable the cursor, as well. No idea why that works.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CellBlock posted:

Holding Up when you click into that screen seems to enable the cursor, as well. No idea why that works.

I have no idea if it is, but this sounds like some sort of "press B after you throw the poke ball for a better chance of catching the pokemon" kind of poo poo

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

pik_d posted:

I have no idea if it is, but this sounds like some sort of "press B after you throw the poke ball for a better chance of catching the pokemon" kind of poo poo

same thing with "Hold A until the bar stops moving to deal extra damage". I did that for years

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Well my main partner for competitive playlists decided rocket league is boring and he's gonna focus on league of legends. Anyone looking for a semi-regular partner for 2v2s or 3v3s?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Fattest PI posted:

Well my main partner for competitive playlists decided rocket league is boring and he's gonna focus on league of legends. Anyone looking for a semi-regular partner for 2v2s or 3v3s?

Join the Discord if you haven't already, there's people from gold to grand champ around. You can even tag yourself with your rank/region to make it easier to find others you should pair with.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

pik_d posted:

I don’t know, but I saw it on reddit and tried it, and it’s 100% effective for me. (Although I’ve now complete the challenges, so it doesn’t matter, but it works.)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

this game is free now and extremely good

I'm looking for some folks to play with

edit: I have joined the discord

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

blue squares posted:

this game is free now and extremely good

I'm looking for some folks to play with

edit: I have joined the discord

This is the correct flow chart for those wondering. We greatly enjoy newer players, and are happy to help play with and help people improve. The old guard chat poo poo to each other but it is a very chill and positive discord overall.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Halloween event on. The event rewards are mostly meh. I'm kind of glad they don't have the dabbing reaper again this year. When it was a reward for a halloween event it just seemed stupid but it's been long enough that it's just the right kind of obnoxious. So it's pretty rare to see it these days, my 2s partner runs it 100% of the time.

I'll never change from Party Time it's too happy and reminds me of headshots in halo. I have a zillion goal explosions and a few colored ones but they're all just so samey.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

The Fattest PI posted:

Halloween event on. The event rewards are mostly meh. I'm kind of glad they don't have the dabbing reaper again this year. When it was a reward for a halloween event it just seemed stupid but it's been long enough that it's just the right kind of obnoxious. So it's pretty rare to see it these days, my 2s partner runs it 100% of the time.

I'll never change from Party Time it's too happy and reminds me of headshots in halo. I have a zillion goal explosions and a few colored ones but they're all just so samey.

1. Partytime
2. Fireworks
3. T-Rex
4. Stay Puft
5. DigiGlobe / Mr. Monsoon

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'll never unequip my Dabbing Reaper.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

PotatoJudge posted:

1. Partytime
2. Fireworks
3. T-Rex
4. Stay Puft
5. DigiGlobe / Mr. Monsoon

1.5 Big splash

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

The Fattest PI posted:

I think the crimson version will be in the item shop on Oct 29-30, as per here. Sorry!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Auxiliary Treats posted:

1.5 Big splash

(splash!)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've got like 8 different colors of Mr. Monsoon and I never know which to use. I wish I could just pick all of them and let the game randomly choose one when I score.

Also, I'm incredibly jealous of the cat motor noise and I want it. No, I NEED IT.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

poemdexter posted:

I've got like 8 different colors of Mr. Monsoon and I never know which to use. I wish I could just pick all of them and let the game randomly choose one when I score.

Also, I'm incredibly jealous of the cat motor noise and I want it. No, I NEED IT.

How do you get more colors of it?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

RC Cola posted:

After you get past tier 70 of the Rocket Pass you start getting painted versions of some items, assuming you have the premium pass.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
  1. Mr. Monsoon
  2. Mr. Monsoon
  3. Mr. Monsoon
  4. Mr. Monsoon
  5. Mr. Monsoon

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

poemdexter posted:

Oh hey I played in a tournament with you from discord. I got them cat noises and I just realized while you're waiting for kickoff you can let go of the throttle to make your engine meow as much as you want!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

My rocket pass is almost 200 now. After 70, you'll get colored items as well as 100 credits every 10 levels until around 110 or so then it's just colored items the rest of the way.

The Fattest PI posted:

Oh hey I played in a tournament with you from discord. I got them cat noises and I just realized while you're waiting for kickoff you can let go of the throttle to make your engine meow as much as you want!

100% yes and I love it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Holy poo poo I only just hit 70 today. Thankfully I don't need everything in every colour, there's only a few items I want a bunch of painted versions of. Of course the first thing I got was the boring truck wheels, painted gray.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Need to play more rocket league is what I'm learning. I love this game even if I'm very bad.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I want a cool car but without paying for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

blue squares posted:

I want a cool car but without paying for it

If you lower your expectations for "cool" you can get some in very rare -> import trade-ups.