Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Yeah I guess I like how Kirinmaru has a code? Like he has this chivalry thing where he respects his opponents, until they cross the line (like the girls did) and then he just wants you dead. There's also still the mystery of why he wants the windmill of time to turn and how this will involve Mr. Kirin, Riku and Rion. Interesting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has it been officially said how many episodes Season 2 is going to be out of curiosity? It feels like we’re kind of moving towards the endgame at this point (Zero is dead, Rin is free, Moroha is no longer in debt to the corpse dealer, Setsuna has all her memories back and is rid of the Dream Butterfly’s curse, and next episode it seems like the trio will be escaping the Black Pearl alongside Inuyasha and Kagome)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 17, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

NowonSA posted:

I only caught a few of the recent episodes, but it's nice to see a bad guy who isn't the complete rear end in a top hat that Naraku was. He still seems pretty rear end in a top hat-y, but he mostly just seems like he's gone full Vegeta, and I like that even if his evil plan were to go just the way he wants it to he'd still ultimately be doing a good thing for the world, which is far more nuance than we typically see from an anime bad guy.

This is something I've appreciated as well, unlike Naraku who very explicitly got his jollies by inflicting emotional pain on people, Kirinmaru is the antagonist mostly because he's an incredibly inflexible rear end in a top hat. He likes having exciting fights and doesn't particularly care about things like "collateral damage" or "the feelings and emotions of other living beings". He isn't actively going around hurting people for the sake of it, and at the same time he is absolutely the villain of the piece for all the things he's done and doing and intends to do.

Larryb posted:

Has it been officially said how many episodes Season 2 is going to be out of curiosity? It feels like we’re kind of moving towards the endgame at this point (Zero and Riku are dead, Rin is free, Moroha is no longer in debt to the corpse dealer, Setsuna has all her memories back and is rid of the Dream Butterfly’s curse, and next episode it seems like the trio will be escaping the Black Pearl alongside Inuyasha and Kagome)

24 episodes allegedly. Also, Riku isn't dead, he's off doing something with Rion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

This is something I've appreciated as well, unlike Naraku who very explicitly got his jollies by inflicting emotional pain on people, Kirinmaru is the antagonist mostly because he's an incredibly inflexible rear end in a top hat. He likes having exciting fights and doesn't particularly care about things like "collateral damage" or "the feelings and emotions of other living beings". He isn't actively going around hurting people for the sake of it, and at the same time he is absolutely the villain of the piece for all the things he's done and doing and intends to do.

24 episodes allegedly. Also, Riku isn't dead, he's off doing something with Rion.

Oh yeah, nevermind that one then. Either way I wouldn’t be surprised if this season winds up being the last one though.

That said, I do hope we get some more modern day stuff eventually (especially since a detachment of Kirinmaru is currently masquerading there as Towa’s former teacher)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 17, 2022

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If nothing else, we're guaranteed to see our heroes go to the future to stop the big-rear end comet that's going to wipe out humanity. That has big "our heroes all team up and hit all their attacks at it to save the day" energy to me. Maybe future "I grew from an arm!" Kirin is more chill from having spent time undercover and not fighting all the time and joins in on that team-up attack as well. It'd be an interesting move if Kirinmaru gets full on killed, then they go to the future and Mr. Kirin is actually pretty chill about that, at least after they probably beat him up a bit too because I want to see a proper Inuyasha/Yashahime style fight in the modern world. I think OG Inuyasha did that a little bit, but lets see some buildings topple and some windows shatter (with no fear of hurting people because people evacuated because OMG a comet is coming to kill everyone!).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also now that Shippo’s finally shown up and it looks like Inuyasha and Kagome are finally going to escape the Black Pearl I’d kind of like to see the whole band get back together and help the newbies (that and I’d like to see Kagome get a chance to meet her niece)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 18, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Honestly? I am kind of hoping the show decides to end on a big dumb action sequence where literally everyone they can get their hands on from this show and the prequel has a massive pitched battle in the modern-day against evil space Youkai.

I tend to believe for a series like this the more it resembles the ending to a season of Gundam Build Fighters the better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Honestly? I am kind of hoping the show decides to end on a big dumb action sequence where literally everyone they can get their hands on from this show and the prequel has a massive pitched battle in the modern-day against evil space Youkai.

I tend to believe for a series like this the more it resembles the ending to a season of Gundam Build Fighters the better.

The last season basically ended with Towa and Moroha fighting Kirinmaru in space so that doesn’t even sound out of the realm of possibility honestly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks like the band’s finally getting back together, looking forward to seeing what happens next (seems we might finally be heading back to the modern era eventually as well), Towa’s probably going to need a revival though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 22, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Looks like the band’s finally getting back together, looking forward to seeing what happens next (seems we might finally be heading back to the modern era eventually as well), Towa’s probably going to need a revival though

Yep. Thank goodness they have the magic resurrection sword, huh? Even money that Setsuna will be the one to use it this time. And I suspect getting thrashed is the reason Sesshoumaru will be going to the future for the finale.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Huh episode 1 was mostly the manga epilogue with some original anime bits in it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I'm liking the manga more than the anime so I'll probably just follow that instead of the anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Danann posted:

I'm liking the manga more than the anime so I'll probably just follow that instead of the anime.

Wait, there’s a Yashahime manga (or were you talking about the original Inuyasha one)? The anime has sort of a rough start but it gets better later on in my opinion (and particularly during the currently running second season).

Anyway, decent episode this week (though the Towa issue from last time was resolved pretty quickly). It was nice seeing Inuyasha and Kagome back in action again as well and it looks like the old gang is getting back together again.

Seems our main trio is headed back to the modern age again soon as well so that’ll be nice (we’ve apparently still got about 7 episodes left though).

Come to think of it, I don’t believe we’ve ever really had a big battle in the present day before (even counting the filler/movies in the first Inuyasha anime).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 29, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Wait, there’s a Yashahime manga (or were you talking about the original Inuyasha one)? The anime has sort of a rough start but it gets better later on in my opinion (and particularly during the currently running second season).

Anyway, decent episode this week (though the Towa issue from last time was resolved pretty quickly). It was nice seeing Inuyasha and Kagome back in action again as well and it looks like the old gang is getting back together again.

Seems our main trio is headed back to the modern age again soon as well so that’ll be nice (we’ve apparently still got about 7 episodes left though).

Come to think of it, I don’t believe we’ve ever really had a big battle in the present day before (even counting the filler/movies in the first Inuyasha anime).

There's a Yashahime manga that's adapting the anime's plot and I'm liking it a lot more than the anime. Official English release is apparently this summer but the Japanese release is up to 5 chapters so far (they're also chonky at around ~60 pages and are serialized on a monthly basis).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Danann posted:

There's a Yashahime manga that's adapting the anime's plot and I'm liking it a lot more than the anime. Official English release is apparently this summer but the Japanese release is up to 5 chapters so far (they're also chonky at around ~60 pages and are serialized on a monthly basis).

Interesting, know if anyone’s fan translated it yet at least (also is Rumiko Takahashi drawing it)?

And how exactly is the manga different from the anime? Is it just less filler heavy or are there some more significant differences?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 29, 2022

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Interesting, know if anyone’s fan translated it yet at least (also is Rumiko Takahashi drawing it)?

And how exactly is the manga different from the anime? Is it just less filler heavy or are there some more significant differences?

The fan scanlation is current with the Japanese release with the scanlation coming out days after the Japanese version comes out. The manga is being made by Takashi Shiina and not Rumiko.

Main difference between the manga and anime is that it doesn't rehash the Inuyasha manga chapters, the background of the main trio is changed (for the better imo) and recontextualizes their interaction with the cast and setting, and the Inuyasha cast are involved but not in a manner that would overshadow the trio's efforts so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Danann posted:

The fan scanlation is current with the Japanese release with the scanlation coming out days after the Japanese version comes out. The manga is being made by Takashi Shiina and not Rumiko.

Main difference between the manga and anime is that it doesn't rehash the Inuyasha manga chapters, the background of the main trio is changed (for the better imo) and recontextualizes their interaction with the cast and setting, and the Inuyasha cast are involved but not in a manner that would overshadow the trio's efforts so far.

Well the anime did the epilogue chapter at the start because the Inuyasha anime never got around to it and it was sort of important to the start of Yashahime’s story but fair point

This seems to go into the manga in a bit more detail:

https://screenrant.com/inuyasha-yashahime-manga-adaptation/amp/

Looks different/interesting enough to be worth checking out then, thanks for the tip

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 29, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good news, next time the gang is finally going back to the modern era (and it seems we’ve officially reached endgame territory for this series)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Welp, poo poo just got real. Assuming it doesn’t trip at the finish line we should have a pretty decent final arc on our hands here.

Speaking of, how long is this season supposed to be again (like 24 episodes or something)?

Also if anyone was disillusioned by the first season I strongly encourage you to watch the second as it fixes a lot of problems in my opinion (for example, Moroha has a much stronger presence and it does more of its own thing as opposed to literally recycling Inuyasha plots with the characters swapped out)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
lmao mr.kirin has lost his marbles.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

And with that the main story of the show appears to be over. All that's left is the epilogue episode.

Given that we explicitly see Kirinmaru's Horn when Towa is being re-embodied I will honestly be surprised if Riku isn't also revived by the time the credits roll next week.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It stumbled a bit in the first part (there were a few episodes that were almost literally recycled Inuyasha plots and I feel like Moroha got undeservedly shat on a fair bit) but I feel like the show more than made up for it in the second half and I don’t regret sticking with it (I would have liked a bit more time in the present era and for Kagome to actually get the opportunity to meet her niece though).

Also it’s kind of ironic that Mr. Kirin turned out to be an even bigger rear end in a top hat than his original body

Now if only someone would start translating the Yashahime manga as I hear it goes in a slightly different direction and seems to be regarded as better than the anime in some aspects

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 19, 2022

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's weird to me for Yashahime to get about 50-60 episodes or whatever total when I remember Inuyasha felt like it was running forever with heaps of episodes on CN or Adult Swim back in the day.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

NowonSA posted:

It's weird to me for Yashahime to get about 50-60 episodes or whatever total when I remember Inuyasha felt like it was running forever with heaps of episodes on CN or Adult Swim back in the day.

Times changed. The only forever anime left are relics like One Piece and Detective Conan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Times changed. The only forever anime left are relics like One Piece and Detective Conan.

Yep. I think MHA was a major inflection point, showing that Jump manga could still get big boosts from seasonal models rather than continuous release. (And before that, Attack on Titan became the biggest thing in the world with a seasonal, but since that one's a monthly manga, it kind of had to be slower.)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Rudoku posted:

It makes sense I suppose. I bet the old big deal shonen stuff like Naruto and Bleach would have been so much prettier if they popped out 22 episodes a season with zero filler involved (I'm looking forward to the upcoming Bleach final arc for that reason, since I bet they'll be able to put in enough time to create some kickass fights at least). I have to imagine that the relics are doing such huge business that running weekly episodes is absolutely the most profitable way to handle it though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

NowonSA posted:

I remember back in the day people complained about how long IY was and how much filler it had. Inuyasha was 167 episodes. Naruto and Bleach both had more filler episoes than IY had anime episodes period.

Also Inuyasha was a very briskly paced series. No Chunin Exams Arc or Namek Saga, most arcs in IY lasted about five episodes and notable fights were contained to two episodes tops. In this sense, MHA (the only modern anime I follow) feels more like Inuyasha than other battle shounen it's usually compared to.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though in Inuyasha’s case technically even the manga had a few arcs that could possibly be described as filler (one of which was never adapted in any form)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the manga had a lot of filler arcs that were functionally identical to anime-original filler arcs. it's a very meandering story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the manga in general could have been at least 100 or so chapters shorter than it actually was (which might have stemmed from Rumiko Takahashi being inexperienced in writing a serialized story at the time)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Rumiko Takahashi likes episodic stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How were/are her post Inuyasha manga in that regard then? Has she gotten any better at telling a concise story?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I can't say I've read the entirety of Rin-ne, or even most of it, but the portion I've read seems to be of a similar breed to Inuyasha in that it was mostly short arcs and self-contained stories related to the various characters. Honestly, I'd say that's more or less just the sort of thing she writes.

As for Yashahime the thing I'd personally like to know is when they knew they were going to get renewed for another 24 episodes. The last five episodes of season 1 made it very clear they were angling for another season what with suddenly introducing the concept of Akuru's Pinwheel and quickly retconning the Rainbow Pearls into unimportance (remember those? They were in the logo!) and setting up for Setsuna to get her new weapon. At the same time, the show had sort of meandered for a while and in hindsight it feels like the writers weren't totally sure what they were going to do with the series. It began with a very Inuyasha-esque random travelogue of fighting random bad guys and running stories that hadn't been previously adapted, but season two was pretty much serialized from start to finish.

And the other reason I'd like to know more about the production of Yashahime is because the show very clearly shifts away from basically everything introduced in season one, and quite sharply after a point. The primary motivation of Towa changes from finding the dream butterfly to get back Setsuna's memory into having both sisters try and save Rin, and meanwhile Moroha finally does resolve her debt and her relationship with Takechiyo becomes much more positive and she's treated much less like a joke. Meanwhile, the thing with Setsuna going berserk is shuffled off to the side and never mentioned again and her short-term character goal is figuring out how to use her new polearm. The mystery of what happened to the previous characters is quickly and explicitly solved and more of the returning cast show up to help do things. Riku goes from a slightly dubious guy to explicitly a supporting protagonist, with the last episode having him repudiate the thing he says he does. Kirinmaru starts as a high-minded, aloof figure of dubious villainy but then he develops into a guy who is explicitly the antagonist but also explicitly the antagonist not out of a desire to harm people but rather because he's a huge, inflexible tool whose arrogance makes him screw things up. They also introduce the Grim Comet, which was naturally a big deal, and an even bigger deal is that Rion joins the cast becoming essentially the fourth main character and Rion being there is really notable because her relationship with her father drives a HUGE portion of the plot going forward.

This also happened with Zero, initially introduced as the real main villain per the press releases and strongly implied to be the person who cursed Setsuna with the Dream Butterfly, she turns out to be neither of those things and is gone halfway through the second act. Heck, the mere fact that the show more or less deals with all the major character problems with about 10 episodes to spare is kind of astonishing given Inuyasha was still wrapping things up while everyone was running around inside of giant spider Naraku.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This is a random question, but is the Yashahime manga any good? It's by the Zettai Karen Children/Ghost Sweeper guy, and while he's nowhere near a name on the scale of Takahashi, I probably on average enjoy his comics more

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

This is a random question, but is the Yashahime manga any good? It's by the Zettai Karen Children/Ghost Sweeper guy, and while he's nowhere near a name on the scale of Takahashi, I probably on average enjoy his comics more

I’ve heard it’s better than the anime in some aspects and does some different things with the story. Problem is, nobody’s translated it yet as far as I can find

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Well it's finally over. Overall I thought it was pretty bad, although the scenes with Inuyasha, Kagome and Moroha were adorable as poo poo. I'm probably going to keep this thread up until Sunday, then close it afterwards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Could have been better as a whole but the second season at least tried to address a lot of the problems I had with the first and overall I’m glad I stuck with it

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

How were/are her post Inuyasha manga in that regard then? Has she gotten any better at telling a concise story?

I liked MAO so far and it's worth a try for someone who liked Inuyasha.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Glad it existed but yeah a missed opportunity for more fun and interesting adventures in the Inuyasha universe, let's hope the manga does something cool with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Glad it existed but yeah a missed opportunity for more fun and interesting adventures in the Inuyasha universe, let's hope the manga does something cool with it.

Speaking of, has anyone started translating that yet (officially or otherwise)?