Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

On another note, did the Ranma 1/2 anime ever actually finish the manga at some point like Inuyasha eventually did? If not, they could potentially bring that back one day as well.

The anime never covered the remainder of the manga. There was an OVA released in 2008, but that only covered one story for the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

The anime never covered the remainder of the manga. There was an OVA released in 2008, but that only covered one story for the manga.

Ah that’s right. I forget, did Ranma just kind of stop at some point like the original Inuyasha did or did it go the way of Soul Eater and the first FMA anime where it abandoned the manga entirely and wrote its own ending?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Ah that’s right. I forget, did Ranma just kind of stop at some point like the original Inuyasha did or did it go the way of Soul Eater and the first FMA anime where it abandoned the manga entirely and wrote its own ending?

I have never actually seen the Ranma anime; I've only been told that it doesn't cover everything.

That reminds me, I need to get back to reading Urusei Yatsura this weekend

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Her horror is also often good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That said, I always thought Inuyasha had some missed potential that possibly could have been done better in the hands of another writer (like an explanation for how the Bone Eater’s Well actually works and why Inuyasha, Kagome, and that one centipede demon from the beginning seem to be the only ones who can actually use it).

But overall I think she did a decent enough job regardless. Was Inuyasha her first story that was a bit more serialized than her usual work?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

That said, I always thought Inuyasha had some missed potential that possibly could have been done better in the hands of another writer (like an explanation for how the Bone Eater’s Well actually works and why Inuyasha, Kagome, and that one centipede demon from the beginning seem to be the only ones who can actually use it).

But overall I think she did a decent enough job regardless. Was Inuyasha her first story that was a bit more serialized than her usual work?

I believe so, yes. Her previous works (Urusei Yatsura, Ranma) were a lot more comedic and episodic, though Inuyasha also has a similar sort of MOTW formula, with the exception of the Band of Seven

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the core of rinne is that it is a standard takahashi wacky romcom, except the heroine is completely unflappable. it works pretty well.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Wark Say posted:

Agreed. Mermaid Saga is excellent and a lot more horror focused than I expected when I read it the first time. It's my favorite Takahashi series and it's short so folks can read it pretty quick. I haven't seen any of the anime adaptions so I can't say anything about the quality those.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Larryb posted:

I mean, pretty much the second season completely dropped the manga's structure in favour of more or less being a creature(martial arts) of the week show. and like, the worst thing about the ending is...it...just ends. ranma get's semi-reunited with his mom, saves her as boy ranma, but she passes out and in typical comedy fashion it rains turning him back into a girl before nodoka comes to.

no phoenix king, no failed wedding cuz nibiki sells the other fiancee's wedding invites just...this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAIRVGZZRjI

-edit

They also never do the amazon's rival tribe of all men who's...ancestors had kids with animals they forced into the pool of drowned girl. I remember telling my aunts and uncles that i liked this show and one of them managed to find me a few volumes of american style floppy comics with like...the middle of that manga saga.

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 25, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s been a while, is the Ranma manga ending any better?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

It’s been a while, is the Ranma manga ending any better?

I believe that it ends with Ranma and Akane trying/failing to get married because of what Renzuko stated.

By the way, is it just me, or are Ranma and Akane the most unhappy Takahashi couple?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can't wait for Inuyasha to beat Goku and Naruto in this year's worst anime protag dad olympics.

I don't think he'll be worst ever since I don't see him beating Sasuke "Bring Your Daughter to Sword Day" Uchiha.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Can't wait for Inuyasha to beat Goku and Naruto in this year's worst anime protag dad olympics.

I don't think he'll be worst ever since I don't see him beating Sasuke "Bring Your Daughter to Sword Day" Uchiha.

You think he'd abandon his kid?

And Naruto isn't a bad dad, he's just busy with Hokage stuff

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, to be fair we don't know yet where Inuyasha is currently or why he suddenly disappeared.

Speaking of which, I'm kind of curious who the bad guys are going to be this time and what the gimmick is now that the Shikon Jewel was wished out of existence thanks to Kagome.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Yeah, to be fair we don't know yet where Inuyasha is currently or why he suddenly disappeared.

Speaking of which, I'm kind of curious who the bad guys are going to be this time and what the gimmick is now that the Shikon Jewel was wished out of existence thanks to Kagome.

Not only him, but Kagome and Sesshomaru have also disappeared.

As for the villain, I thought I remembered reading that the main villain was some sort of butterfly yokai who was responsible for Setsuna's memories being taken away.

On that note, I would have been totally fine if the sequel was a more light-hearted MOTW show where Inuyasha and Sesshomaru would have to learn how to raise their kids.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 26, 2020

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Willo567 posted:

By the way, is it just me, or are Ranma and Akane the most unhappy Takahashi couple?

I feel like that was moreso an anime thing? where its mostly just shown him being jealous and calling her his fiancée in an early ep?

in the manga, with the phoenix king, Ranma ultimately confesses his love for her when he thinks she killed herself by throwing her...doll body. into a stream of boiling water so he can hiryu-shoten-ha. the failed wedding was a willing one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine the villain will be a Naraku type figure. Also I don't remember, but did we ever see Naraku's form before he took on his pretty boy appearance, or was that always covered by the baboon mask.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Renzuko posted:

I feel like that was moreso an anime thing? where its mostly just shown him being jealous and calling her his fiancée in an early ep?

in the manga, with the phoenix king, Ranma ultimately confesses his love for her when he thinks she killed herself by throwing her...doll body. into a stream of boiling water so he can hiryu-shoten-ha. the failed wedding was a willing one.

Yeah, the Phoenix Mountain arc is the real thematic ending of the story. Ranma actually says it, sacrifices his chance of fixing his problem for her, beats a god, it's great. The failed wedding is fun, but really more of an epilogue than a part of the overall story (such as it is, Ranma's VERY episodic, even in the manga). By the time Phoenix Mountain starts, she's put pins in most of the recurring obstacles: the Nodoka situation is handled, Konatsu and Akari are consolation prizes for the sympathetic competition, and while Shampoo hasn't given up, her grandmother isn't backing her play as aggressively, so she's less of an issue.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I imagine the villain will be a Naraku type figure. Also I don't remember, but did we ever see Naraku's form before he took on his pretty boy appearance, or was that always covered by the baboon mask.

I think we only ever saw Onigumo bandaged up but I seem to recall an arc where Naraku briefly made a detachment based on his former self and they looked more or less identical.

Off the subject, how far into the manga did the Ranma 1/2 anime actually get (counting the 2008 OVA)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 26, 2020

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I hope this series addresses a few things Inuyasha skipped over: cultural and technological contamination from time travel and also what happened to yokai and divine spirits to make them almost non-existent in modern times?

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 27, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, this is a good opportunity to explore the nature of this world in a bit more detail. Whether or not they’ll actually go for it however remains to be seen.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Its especially odd because I assumed a schemer like Naraku would have eventually tried something with the well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t think it’s ever explained how the well works and why only certain people can use it (which is odd because you probably could have made an entire story arc out of that concept alone).

Like I said, hopefully Yashahime will wind up going into a bit more detail,

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wark Say posted:

Mermaid Saga owns. I'm incredibly lukewarm on every other Takahashi adaptation; Inuyasha's the only other one that even sort of held my attention, and with far more provisos. Never read any of the manga; I probably should.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Good thing mermaid saga is getting re-released sometime this year! viz has been really really big on re-releasing their old rumiko takahashi works. urusei yatsura is ongoing, maison ikkoku just started. and i think mermaid saga is getting 2 big omnibuses...omnibi?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Is it just me, or is the premise of Yashahime really loving depressing when you think about it, mainly the fact the girls pretty much grow up without their families due to Yokai fuckery

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It does seem oddly dark for a Takahashi story. Kind of curious to see where this goes.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I just hope it doesn't get TOO dark, like it turns out that Kagome, Miroku, Sango, Shippo and Jaken are all dead

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I kinda doubt they're going to kill anyone off but it's not inconceivable one or two characters might not have made it. Although considering the time period they could all just have died of plague or something adjacent.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

The only character that I could honestly see biting it is maybe Miroku.

I don't think that they're gonna kill off the main female lead of the original series.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Oh, and the first episode preview dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt88-xgZTNE

Looks like it's an adaptation of the Hero's Come Back chapter

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wsstalkback/status/1311081791902674954

Next issue of Sunday will have Takahashi answering questions about Inuyasha.

Hopefully one of them is the status of Yokai in the modern era

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually watched this before it was apparently on Adult Swim or whatever. I remember downloading episodes and watching them in RealPlayer or something during high school. I remember liking the pop songs in the OPs/EDs and remember a couple being by Boa and Do As Infinity.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm only passingly familiar with Inuyasha from watching a few bits and bobs back in the Adult Swim days, but hey, these characters are cute, I'll give this a try.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My hope with the motherhood question is that if it does turn out to be Rin, they use some timey wimey stuff to at least take the edge off it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Fangz posted:

My hope with the motherhood question is that if it does turn out to be Rin, they use some timey wimey stuff to at least take the edge off it.

"It was a different time, feudal Japan."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t gotten a chance to watch it yet but the first episode of Yashahime is out now.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

It was nice seeing the old gang again, but I'm definetly more pumped to see more of Towa, Setsuna and Moroha next week.

Also, Miroku's new VA did a great job of sounding close to Kouji Tsujitani

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It was mostly just an adaption of the bonus chapter Takahashi did for the manga but not a bad start regardless and I like the OP.

Any idea who Miroku’s new VA is (also did all the other characters retain their original actors)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Miroku's new VA is Makoto Yasumura. As far as I can tell, all the original VA's returned. I even saw a post with the cast of the next episode, and I'm surprised they brought back the VA's for Kagome's mom and grandpa.

Also, I'm glad that the twins FINALLY have names.

What did everyone else think?

FUN FACT: Kagome's Grandpa is played by Diddy Kong. I am not joking

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 3, 2020