Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't watched a Viz anime in years and even then I mainly was still buying DVD or bluray sets.

What is going on with the dub? It hasn't been dubbed yet? But no smulcast? Do they stream their dubs with their own subscription stream service?

I'd be happy to pay for this but I just don't know how or when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

Yeah, didn’t both Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2 use a large chunk of the same voice cast for both the Japanese and English versions for that matter?

It's been many, many years since I watched a bit of the Ranma anime because I quickly stopped when I realized how much it didn't align with the manga. But I recall reading Richard Ian Cox - the voice of Inuyasha from start to finish - eventually took over as the voice of Ranma. He definitely wasn't Ranma's VA at first. I have no idea who originally voiced Ranma but Cox's voice is unmistakable and Ranma's original dub VA had none of that raspy quality.

Paul Dobson of Myoga/Naraku fame was Happosai which is oddly fitting in that he used the old man Myoga voice for Happosai but Happosai is an evil on par with Naraku so it works.

And there might have been others.

I haven't heard an Ocean dub in years and years. They did Ranma and Inuyasha but it's so rareto hear Canadian dubs these days it seems so I hope this new anime is given by Viz to Ocean if it is at all possible and if Cox and Sheridan (Sango) and Morrow (Miroku) are still around.

Man, last time I followed all of them was like a decade ago now when Final Act was coming. I looked up Cox interviews at cons, vlogs with Sheridan and Dobson, desperate to see when the dub was coming. It took way too long and then it loving sucked. Not their fault, The Final Act was just terrible as the pacing was awful and cut out so much from the manga. That's another thing IY and FT have in common, I love them to pieces but their final anime were huge disappointments.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, Stori being gone was another reason I really didn't care for Final Act. Inuyasha has a special place in my heart given when I started watching it and it just wasn't the same, to use a cliche. Kagome was always my favorite character and still is.

I saw an interview with Kaye when this new anime was first announced where he said he'd be fine with returning as Sesshomaru but obviously they'd have to hire it out to a studio wherever he lives.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Sesshomaru is definitely the kind of guy who thinks leaving his kids alone in the woods for a couple decades to figure stuff out is good parenting.

Still a better father than Sasuke.

Maybe that's a dead horse....

Anyway, reminded of a couple good things I saved off r/Inuyasha.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So why is there a bunch of Viz content on Funi's website now?

All the men have way, way deeper voices than they did before. Jaken's and Inuyasha's voices in particularly stand out to me.

Other than that, not too much to say about this episode. Will reserve judgment until I see more of the actual stars of this show.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

NowonSA posted:

It's weird to me for Yashahime to get about 50-60 episodes or whatever total when I remember Inuyasha felt like it was running forever with heaps of episodes on CN or Adult Swim back in the day.

I remember back in the day people complained about how long IY was and how much filler it had. Inuyasha was 167 episodes. Naruto and Bleach both had more filler episoes than IY had anime episodes period.

Also Inuyasha was a very briskly paced series. No Chunin Exams Arc or Namek Saga, most arcs in IY lasted about five episodes and notable fights were contained to two episodes tops. In this sense, MHA (the only modern anime I follow) feels more like Inuyasha than other battle shounen it's usually compared to.