Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

waiter: so how is everything?
me: the entire planet parties harder than the U.S. lol
waiter: (disgusted) even england?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

england does but you don’t want to know what they’re doing

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

qirex posted:

I mean almost makes sense if you think of the usa and it hegemonic allies as sauron
lord of the rings is the unabomber manifesto with more allegory

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's kind of amazing in a despairing way seeing people who don't understand material conditions trying to explain how the world works through pop culture.
they're paid to be like this op

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

fart simpson posted:

If you attend a british party you're put on a list.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ruffian Price posted:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

they do because what they drink on a normal basis would give most americans liver failure

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/thejawnoftime/status/1782438783385756123?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Ruffian Price posted:

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

whats he running for, bases?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Beeftweeter posted:

they do because what they drink on a normal basis would give most americans liver failure
if you had to look at the native english daily you’d drink hard all the time too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Kenny Logins posted:

if you had to look at the native english daily you’d drink hard all the time too

i mean, there's the whole "being british/scottish" (idk if welsh people are self-loathing lol) thing too. that makes them drink a lot, even the "wee ones"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

it ruins their health too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

it ruins their health too

its a vicious cycle

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if you lived in englsnd you’d drink to die early too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

is that what you did when you lived there

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i drink to die early after reading ya’lls posts

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fart simpson posted:

if you could somehow know without imagining it’d be OK

but imagining the pasty pudgy people like that, uh, well…

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Beeftweeter posted:

you sure? we’re back to our pre-Civil War high in the US of around 2.5 gallons of Ethanol per year per drinking-age person in America

now consider two additional facts: something like one third of Americans don’t drink at al, and the vast majority (on the order of 75%) is consumed by the top 10% of heavy drinkers

when you do the math the amount that top 10% must drink is truly incredible, and even the average American drinker is no slouch

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can't find the graph right now but yeah, drinking in the USA goes something like this

10th percentile: 0 drinks per week
20th: 0 drinks
30th: 0 drinks
40th: 0 drinks
50th: 0 drinks
60th: 0.7 drinks
70th: 3.2 drinks
80th: 11 drinks
90th: 78 drinks per week

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

these people gently caress

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

Can't find the graph right now but yeah, drinking in the USA goes something like this

10th percentile: 0 drinks per week
20th: 0 drinks
30th: 0 drinks
40th: 0 drinks
50th: 0 drinks
60th: 0.7 drinks
70th: 3.2 drinks
80th: 11 drinks

10 beers a day? I could do it

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
what about the 100th percentile. who is the hardest drinking man in the USA

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

cirrhosis georg

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Bill Werbeniuk though I guess he was Canadian

quote:

Some of Werbeniuk's alleged feats of drinking include: 76 cans of lager during a game with John Spencer in Australia in the 1970s;[2] 43 pints of lager in a snooker match/drinking contest against Scotsman Eddie Sinclair in which, after Sinclair had passed out following his 42nd pint, Werbeniuk was reported to say "I'm away to the bar now for a proper drink";[9] 28 pints of lager and 16 whiskies over the course of 11 frames during a match against Nigel Bond, in January 1990 – after which Werbeniuk then consumed an entire bottle of Scotch to "drown his sorrows" after losing the match.[2]

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

now i had no idea you could get a 2br in brooklyn for $1.6k at all, and probably would have moved there even if i knew it was likely to completely fall apart lol

it's in coney island. i won't knock it because i've never lived there but location-wise it's only slightly closer to manhattan than philadelphia. it is not a place most people think of when they think of "moving to brooklyn."

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bssoil posted:

Bill Werbeniuk though I guess he was Canadian

Werbeniuk died of heart failure on 20 January 2003, six days after his 56th birthday.[14][15]

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well-read undead posted:

cirrhosis georg

lol

yeah, he took over from cirrhosis clara

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raminasi posted:

it's in coney island. i won't knock it because i've never lived there but location-wise it's only slightly closer to manhattan than philadelphia. it is not a place most people think of when they think of "moving to brooklyn."

yeah i know it's around coney island, but i could swear they said it was on 5th ave (in brooklyn, obviously), which was not too far from where i was living downtown (right before the bridge, getting to fidi was two stops in between, jay st and the bridge itself)

e: maybe it was 5th st. in which case yeah gently caress that. either way coney island was like 40-50 mins away by subway so you're probably right lol

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 23, 2024

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i know it's around coney island, but i could swear they said it was on 5th ave (in brooklyn, obviously), which was not too far from where i was living downtown (right before the bridge, getting to fidi was two stops in between, jay st and the bridge itself)

e: maybe it was 5th st. in which case yeah gently caress that. either way coney island was like 40-50 mins away by subway so you're probably right lol

even if it were 5th ave, brooklyn streets are stupid long. 5th ave goes all the way down to bay ridge.

but i checked and yeah it's on w 5th st. and at the same time i learned that brooklyn has e/w numbered streets (mirrored across ocean pkwy) to go along with its n/s numbered streets in williamsburg and its "regular" numbered streets starting in park slope. clown-rear end street grid.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raminasi posted:

even if it were 5th ave, brooklyn streets are stupid long. 5th ave goes all the way down to bay ridge.

but i checked and yeah it's on w 5th st. and at the same time i learned that brooklyn has e/w numbered streets (mirrored across ocean pkwy) to go along with its n/s numbered streets in williamsburg and its "regular" numbered streets starting in park slope. clown-rear end street grid.

it's like that because it was originally a (fairly large) separate city, then when it got absorbed into nyc they realized they had a huge problem with duplicate street addresses but also had established businesses and poo poo at them lol

iirc park slope was originally where the heart of what was then brooklyn was, it got built out towards court street and then in the other directions. incidentally before moving downtown i lived in park slope, right by fort greene park. i met my wife because she was going to pratt for her masters lol

also even though i changed neighborhoods and that part of brooklyn was inaccessible by subway from where i moved to (lol loving G train) i could walk there in about 15 mins. brooklyn is weird

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nyc needs to sort out their street naming poo poo. it sounds clownish to the rest of the world. yes let me just go to 44th and 13th, that is completely logical

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're in numerical order, streets are all parallel to each other, and avenues are perpendicular. It makes a lot of sense to me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

nyc needs to sort out their street naming poo poo. it sounds clownish to the rest of the world. yes let me just go to 44th and 13th, that is completely logical

it is very logical, the whole thing is a drat grid lol. if you can't figure out nyc addresses then uhh, well, we don't say those words anymore lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in SEMI we have named roads that go n/s and mile roads that go e/w. it’s nice for knowing where u are and how far everything is from each other all the time

if you are at Schoenherr and 11 Mile Rd and need to go to Ryan and 18 Mile Rd then you know it’s 7mi north and 4 miles west

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

it is very logical, the whole thing is a drat grid lol. if you can't figure out nyc addresses then uhh, well, we don't say those words anymore lol

don’t quote stymie?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
which one do you say first, the north/south one or the east/west one

we have a grid here too, i'm not unfamiliar with it. but you go to 17th and welton or 20th and speer, not 93rd and 27th

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sagebrush posted:

They're in numerical order, streets are all parallel to each other, and avenues are perpendicular. It makes a lot of sense to me

there are still some odd corner cases like how in the west village the grid rotates so west 4th st intersects a bunch of other numbered streets even though they're "supposed" to be parallel

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Jonny 290 posted:

when I was in Brooklyn for my wedding I ordered some DoorDash to our hotel but because of duplicate street addresses in both manhattan and Brooklyn (and me just looking in “New York city”) my poo poo went to the waaaay wrong place. nyc is a confusing place for a country bumpkin like me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qud0-JgNt54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

LieutenantFrost posted:

gently caress, kill, marry

i'm marrying iran.