Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

which one do you say first, the north/south one or the east/west one

we have a grid here too, i'm not unfamiliar with it. but you go to 17th and welton or 20th and speer, not 93rd and 27th

street then avenue

your grid sounds nice and all, but how many blocks from welton to get to speer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i appreciate nyc for ease of navigation, but tbh most cool cities navigate in terms of subway/tram stop + 2 block direction.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've always liked the numbered and alphabetical* streets on the west side of sf, 48th ave is the beach and 2nd is [nearly] the east end of the park. anza is north and wawona is [almost] the zoo

*mostly, things get pretty weird between cabrillo and irving. also no 1st or 13 ave

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

street then avenue

your grid sounds nice and all, but how many blocks from welton to get to speer?

we also do the alphabetizing thing, so, not many.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fart Sandwiches posted:

when I was in Brooklyn for my wedding I ordered some DoorDash to our hotel but because of duplicate street addresses in both manhattan and Brooklyn (and me just looking in “New York city”) my poo poo went to the waaaay wrong place. nyc is a confusing place for a country bumpkin like me

that's why nyc addresses still use "queens", "brooklyn", etc.

if you address something to "new york, ny" it will go to manhattan. if that's wrong and if you're (not very, but pretty) lucky it will eventually get to the right borough

e: for a country bumpkin just use geolocation to find what zip code you're in. it probably still won't be the correct one (they change basically by every 4 blocks or so) but close enough to get you in the right borough at least

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 23, 2024

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

post hole digger posted:

i'm marrying iran.
temporary marriage is a hell of a modern institution there

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Beeftweeter posted:

that's why nyc addresses still use "queens", "brooklyn", etc.

if you address something to "new york, ny" it will go to manhattan. if that's wrong and if you're (not very, but pretty) lucky it will eventually get to the right borough

e: for a country bumpkin just use geolocation to find what zip code you're in. it probably still won't be the correct one (they change basically by every 4 blocks or so) but close enough to get you in the right borough at least

my partner is from Brooklyn so I now accept my ignorance and do nothing regarding navigating when we visit

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

in my part of town the north-south streets are named after the provinces and are ordered the same way east-to-west, so as long as you know where all the provinces are you know where the streets should be. except saskatchewan and newfoundland, which they skipped. also yukon is in there, but not any other territories, and columbia is west of alberta for some reason. also there are only 10 provinces so this only holds for a small part of town. simple as

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I stuck my finger into North Korea but didn't go any further because I heard bad things about the last guy who went in.
Went all the way inside Russia. It was about what you might expect.
Never been in Iran but they unironically seem cool. The people who talk to me might self select but they're usually very progressive and easy to get along with.
So gently caress Russia ❤️🇷🇺, Kill North Korea💀🇰🇵,Marry Iran 💍🇮🇷

Also since we're talking about North Korean animation. Everyone check out Squirrel and Hedgehog. It's genuinely good and they make Americans into badass wolves with a sexy fox commander! Like honestly when I watch it I'm quite flattered as an American. Naturally we don't win but only because that wily squirrel and hedgehog have no fear and would consider death on the battlefield to be the highest honor. How can we even compete?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzN84L1Rxxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0iWICaT78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdF5qhGFp30

Very long running, there are murals and signs for this show all over DPRK.
Since we're talking about distribution, yes it was licensed for dist to an Italian studio and for whatever reason DPRK has gotten along with italy at various times.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Internet Old One posted:

I stuck my finger into North Korea but didn't go any further because I heard bad things about the last guy who went in.

Ah, the Just The Tip approach to foreign espionage

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

numbered streets rule because if you’re given an address you can kinda guess where it is without even opening maps

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, that'll happen if you leave it out a few weeks after halloween

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1782843903168635378

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

what

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You can call on whatever you want

I'm calling on my cat to take all necessary steps to keep my glasses from being shoved off the end table

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

polyester concept posted:

numbered streets rule because if you’re given an address you can kinda guess where it is without even opening maps

Hell yeah.

I'll accept a named street here and there as long as there are plenty of intersecting numbered streets. But if the number gives me no indication of where it is on the street I will judge your city planning.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Not a Children posted:

I'm calling on my cat to take all necessary steps to keep my glasses from being shoved off the end table

I’m making a call to all my past resignations, it’s been too long

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Not a Children posted:

your cat isn’t supposedly on the table to protect your glasses though

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

your cat isn’t supposedly on the table to protect your glasses though

you don't know that. there could be a contract

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...en-by-cannibals

quote:

Papua New Guinea leader takes offense after Biden’s cannibals comment

Papua New Guinea’s Prime Minister James Marape accused President Biden of disparaging the South Pacific island nation by implying that an uncle had been eaten by “cannibals” there during World War II.

“Perhaps, given President Biden’s comments and the strong reaction from PNG and other parts of the world, it is time for the U.S.A. to find as many remains of World War II in PNG as possible, including those of servicemen who lost their lives like Ambrose Finnegan,” he said.

“The theaters of war in PNG and Solomon Islands are many, and littered with the remains of WWII including human remains, plane wrecks, ship wrecks, tunnels and bombs. Our people daily live with the fear of being killed by detonated bombs of WWII,” Marape added.

it may be just me, but i do not think that the united states of america would pay for any of that

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

they owe us one imo. we did so much for them already.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

dioxazine posted:

it may be just me, but i do not think that the united states of america would pay for any of that

yeah, PNG is a free and open format. libpng is right there and permissibly licensed, there's no need to pay for anything

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

dioxazine posted:

wow, littered with human remains and the wrecks of old war machinery? amazon could've saved a lot of money by just filming fallout there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

post hole digger posted:

they owe us one imo. we did so much for them already.
"please defend us from the enemies we directly created"

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the solution would be to stop making enemies, i think?

Apr 7, 2003

dioxazine posted:

the solution would be to stop making enemies, i think?

*raytheon ceases to exist*

Apr 7, 2003

The heightening of belligerence against China is both incredibly funny and also incredibly insane, gonna lmao when the outgoing generation of leaders decides to glass the planet rather than let China assume America’s former spot.

042424_5
Apr 24, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 24, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The heightening of belligerence against China is both incredibly funny and also incredibly insane, gonna lmao when the outgoing generation of leaders decides to glass the planet rather than let China assume America’s former spot.

it's also crazy because we can't disentangle our economies nearly as quickly as congress can rattle its saber

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

remember when this was supposed to be a government of the people, by the people, for the people

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sagebrush posted:

remember when this was supposed to be a government of the wealthy land and slave owners, by the same, for their benefit.

fixed that for you.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

remember when this was supposed to be a government of the people, by the people, for the people

*for certain values of "people"

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
coney island is where you wake up after falling asleep in the subway. it’s the end of the line and they kick you out onto the beach

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

coney island is where you wake up after falling asleep in the subway. it’s the end of the line and they kick you out onto the beach

sounds like a fun place to wake up at

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

no, sorry.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I wanted a tik tock BAN, not simply letting some rich rear end in a top hat buy it to keep it going.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
sure is good that i chose to work for tiktok

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm sure you can transfer to douyin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003