Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Do TV movies count? As long as they aren't a mini-series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

I'm gonna give it a go this year and try to hit 31. I'll always watch personal favorites and a few random sequels of the major franchises during October, but I'm going to try to watch mostly movies I've never seen or haven't seen in a really long time. I have a stack of movies ready that should be a good start and I'm definitely going to watch a few that as a horror fan I'm embarrassed to admit I have never seen before.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

gently caress yeah. Shooting for 31 this year again, and going to try another ABCs of Horror challenge for myself because I can't think of anything more interesting. I'm not going to do it in order though because that really screwed me over last year

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I've been watching a ton of movies this year thanks to the lockdown, filling in a lot of horror gaps especially. I'm currently finishing up my Hooptober challenges, so some of those movies might bleed into this, but either way I have started building out my list over on Letterboxd, separate from Hooptober. Most of the ones on the list are new watches. There are some rewatches but even most of those I haven't seen in 10+ years!

My intention is to watch 40+ movies for this challenge... the LB list will just help me if I'm stuck. I will try to do the Fran challenges as they pop up.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://letterboxd.com/dorium/list/halloween-frights-and-shites-spookie-season/

My list is fluid, much like sexuality and water. So I'll be adding as I go. I'm just gunna keep watching movies until I can no longer.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

I've done this the past three years without posting, but this year I'm gonna actually join the thread. I'm aiming for at least 31 spook-a-doodles I haven't seen yet.
I've got a list, I've found most of the movies on it. I'm excited!

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I'll be watching 31 movies encompassing 31 horror subgenres, I haven't seen any of them before. A general theme is Cannibal films.

https://letterboxd.com/killerbobb/list/9th-annual-letterboxd-horrorthon-taste-the/

Plus I'll watch Halloween (2018) to make up for seeing Parents before this challenge starts and because I'm supposed to talk about it on a podcast.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 25, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm doing 31 new films + the Hooptober 7 scavenger hunt + Fran's Challenges. Plus I'm gonna try and knock off some more of the movies from the Director's Tournament that we didn't get to. And I'll probably get some kind of other distractions. I'll probably try and watch Haunting of Bly Manor and maybe Lovecraft Country and Outsider and something else. Basically I'm going to be insane and watch nothing but horror and sports for 31 days.

Maybe. I got a family member having surgery on the 9th and I'm stressing out. But fingers crossed, knock on wood, I'll just schedule some light stuff and there will be no complications and I'll be processing my anxiety through scary movies.

Here's the list that is already over 100 movies and just ridiculous. Letterboxd really makes this easier. We'll see how it goes.

https://letterboxd.com/goatgonzo/list/halloween-2020-double-feature-spook-a-doodles/

Segue
May 23, 2007

I've never done this before but the pandemic is as good a time to start as any. Gonna shoot for 31 and try to keep my local rental store in business with some of the weird titles that aren't around on streaming.

As an aside, is Repulsion worth it? Polanski skeeves me the gently caress out but I listened to a good radio doc defending rewatching Rosemary's Baby as an amalgam of other people's work. Just unsure with the woman trapped subject matter of Repulsion with the Polanski overlap.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm hopefully doing a move before the end of the year and I need to prepare, but I'll pledge to watch at least one movie.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Segue posted:

I've never done this before but the pandemic is as good a time to start as any. Gonna shoot for 31 and try to keep my local rental store in business with some of the weird titles that aren't around on streaming.

As an aside, is Repulsion worth it? Polanski skeeves me the gently caress out but I listened to a good radio doc defending rewatching Rosemary's Baby as an amalgam of other people's work. Just unsure with the woman trapped subject matter of Repulsion with the Polanski overlap.

Catherine Deneuve's performance is gigantic. Just don't pay for it? Charity shop buy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm shooting for 31, but I won't be stopping there if I hit that number. I don't have a set slate, but I hope to watch my unwatched Godzillas, starting with Godzilla Raids Again.

After that I still need to watch "The Police are Blundering in the Dark" from my Forgotten Gialli box. I also noticed that I never watched The Night Strangler last year.

I just got my September drop from VinSyn, so Killing Birds, Memorial Valley Massacre, Ladrones De Tumbas (Grave Robbers), and Spellcaster are up. Depending on when the October drop arrives, I'll probably get those 4 in too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Segue posted:

Repulsion is must-watch. Maybe your local library has it?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm in with a shameful 13 movies that will extend for as long as I can do it.

Segue posted:

Repulsion is absolutely worth a watch, but it will make you hate Polanski much more. Not because of the movie per se, but because it demonstrates that he must be extremely well aware of how horrible his own actions are, and the effect that they have.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
In for 31. No real plans, beside get through some of my backlog of dvds, blu-rays, and stuff in various streaming queues.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I did 39 movies last October, so I think I can manage 40 this year.

Not self-limiting myself by any themed challenge this time, I learned my lesson. My only requirement will be that the movies are new to me and that I do the Fran Challenges.

Mainly going to be picking '60s-'80s era stuff with a few possible outliers in the other directions (guided mainly by thoughts like "this had cool box art I obsessed over in the rental store in the '80s, but is it actually good?")

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gunning for 31 and will likely blow past it. No lists, no themes, it's only things that make me happy or I happen to catch on the fly. It's gonna be a good season.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m gonna try for 31 this year. I might be doing overtime at work so it could be tough but I will do my best.

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
Oh boy, got so many movies I never watched lined up. Think I might have do more than one movie a night this October.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Alright looks like I'm going for 32 with Repulsion from the Toronto library (their DVD collection is actually pretty amazing on top of having Kanopy and Hoopla).

gently caress Polanski, but good horror is good horror.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just to clarify - we're not limited to films we've never seen before, right?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

moths posted:

Correct

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cool! I'm sketching out a watch list and I'd hate to skip something because I saw it years ago.

Sareini
Jun 7, 2010
Well, last year I very nearly hit 31, and this year... Well, things aren't actually that different for me, but that's no excuse so I'm aiming for a minimum of 31 new to me films, plus extras like Challenges and Scream Streams that I've already seen.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

moths posted:

That's not an official limit, no. I put that constraint on myself every year to force myself to watch new stuff, but it's not a requirement.

I may branch out to stuff I haven't seen in a long time, depending on how much I get done this year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Usually about half of my movies are rewatches because there's definitely like 20-30 movies that I absolutely must watch every Halloween season. My total usually ends up around 50 so it's a pretty even split.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don’t have nearly the freetime I had last year so there is no way I can do 31 again. So I’ll try to aim for 13 and hope for the best!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Man I am loving all the letterboxd lists. It's like browsing the horror section at so many video stores.

I haven't done this in years, so my only unifying theme is "stuff I've been meaning to watch for awhile." Only 2 rewatches on the list so it should be a great month!!

https://letterboxd.com/fenixdown/list/octoberthon-2020/

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I've made a Letterboxd list for myself as well:

https://boxd.it/8PJWE

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm going to do 13 new, 13 old, and the 13 challenges. Hopefully no repeat of that one where you have to go see a movie that's currently in theaters, which would bring the horror home a bit more than I'd prefer.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh yeah, letterboxd lists. I have one of those. More of a priority ordered pool to pick from than a prescriptive list as I wanted some flexibility.

https://boxd.it/8OJfy

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I feel like im going to just be watching movies from tomorrow morning until november and I couldn't be happier.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

dorium posted:

I feel like im going to just be watching movies from tomorrow morning until november and I couldn't be happier.

I will be fighting the urge to start before October 1st, but yeah. Its just horror movies and baseball for me from Oct 1st to Nov 1st.

Well and maybe a couple of Presidential debates. But if that's not horror what is?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

STAC Goat posted:

I will be fighting the urge to start before October 1st, but yeah. Its just horror movies and baseball for me from Oct 1st to Nov 1st.

Well and maybe a couple of Presidential debates. But if that's not horror what is?

I would rather have a VR mask over my face with The Lodge on repeat instead of watching the debates this season.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm having a hard time not watching a horror movie right now :negative:

dorium posted:

I would rather have a VR mask over my face with The Lodge on repeat instead of watching the debates this season.

It'll be the greatest comedy of the year though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

As soon as the clock strikes I have a double feature of Angel Heart and Lord of Illusion planned out. I'm a bit wary of watching the director's cut of Lord of Illusion because I don't remember the theatrical being very good and it's even longer.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's Clive Barker though, so the extra stuff might be wall-to-wall horny

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory is its mostly extending some of the violence and sex in scenes, yes. I think it adds in a bunch of cult stuff which I really liked. Like I think there's a cut scene where the cultists are all "woken up" and murder their families.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

STAC Goat posted:

Like I think there's a cut scene where the cultists are all "woken up" and murder their families.

This scene is worth the director’s cut alone. So loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah the Lord of Illusions DC adds a lot. There more gore and horny of course, but there's also more cult stuff and more magician culture stuff, a cool dream sequence, character development. It's a way better movie for it. It's still uneven feeling, as all of Barker's movies are, but it's probably my favorite of his work.