Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Is the version on Netflix the director's cut?

e: what a terrible snipe. Here's catte tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Davros1 posted:

Do TV movies count? As long as they aren't a mini-series?

It depends, I am for example counting Salem's Lot ( 1979 ) which has a run time of 183 minutes. However, stuff like The Stand doesn't count I don't think. The reason for Salem's Lot counting is that it was released on VHS and ran as a movie on TV 1 shot not split up.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Tarnop posted:

Is the version on Netflix the director's cut?

e: what a terrible snipe. Here's catte tax

The movie isn't on Netflix in the US, but I'd doubt it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Origami Dali posted:

The movie isn't on Netflix in the US, but I'd doubt it.

I realise I was being terribly lazy so I checked on Netflix and it's the theatrical cut. Time to tap my friends up to see if anyone has the DC

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lord of Illusions the Directors Cut is better than the theatrical and worth hunting down.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love Lord of Illusions but its problem is that its basically two really interesting movies smushed together clumsily. The Director's Cut gives you more of both of those interesting movies but doesn't really fix that core problem any.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think I'll re-watch Halloween '07 tonight as sort of a prologue to the challenge. Then I'll begin the challenge proper tomorrow night with Halloween 2, which I haven't seen.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

The Zombie Halloween II is another one where you should be sure to hunt down the director's cut

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm pretty sure I skipped last year's challenge due to taking on school, but that's on pause due to 2020. So this year I'll deal in, I'll watch 3 movies a week leading up to Halloween, so 15 movies total, maybe more. Main goal is to clear out the 'To Watch' part of my Horror Shelf. Plus, I kinda wanna watch a horror TV show just out of spite to Fran.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hollismason posted:

It depends, I am for example counting Salem's Lot ( 1979 ) which has a run time of 183 minutes. However, stuff like The Stand doesn't count I don't think. The reason for Salem's Lot counting is that it was released on VHS and ran as a movie on TV 1 shot not split up.

This is going to be such a grey area that Fran might need to clarify. One big example that I know is IT 1990. IT has been released as a single 3+ hour movie on home media but had a 2-part split broadcast on TV.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Salem's Lot had a theatrical release in Europe. Also, it was on television in 1979 and then subsequentally went to VHS in the 80s which is how everyone sees it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

The Zombie Halloween II is another one where you should be sure to hunt down the director's cut

I had to double check, but I believe my Blu-ray set has the unrated director's cut.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did we decide if Cats counts? Certainly evokes an eldritch sort of horror

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Salem’s Lot counts as one movie.

IT 1990 counts as one movie.

The Stand does not count.

CATS does not count.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

Salem’s Lot counts as one movie.

IT 1990 counts as one movie.

The Stand does not count.

CATS does not count.

Challenge time:

Gobble two tabs of acid and watch CATS twice to count it as one horror movie.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

dorium posted:

Challenge time:

Gobble two tabs of acid and watch CATS twice to count it as one horror movie.

Your avatar has become sentient

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Looking forward to this again!

Last year I ended up getting through 32 movies and all the challenges, which was a lot of fun. In the past I've tried to only watch things I haven't seen before, but this year I'm hosting a (virtual) month-long horror marathon for some friends and I don't think I'll have the energy to watch 31 additional movies on top of everything I'm screening for that. I'll still review my watches here though, and I'll try to fit in as many of the challenges as I can.

I've got a letterboxd list up here: https://letterboxd.com/actualdog/list/gorevid-19/

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Your avatar has become sentient

Happens sometimes. Just do what it says and look into it’s eyes.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Im so down for this, its my favorite part of the year. I'm doing at least 31 in October, but I couldn't wait so I started in September so possibly 61. Anyways here my list over on Trakt, theres excess stuff but it's my jumping off point every night for stuff I wanna watch.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My September pre-games

Black coat’s daughter, I’m thinking of ending things and A ghost story were all 5 stars for me. I am the pretty thing that lives in the House was my least favorite, but it was more just dull then outright bad.

Everything else was pretty solid at the very least. Going to need some real garbage for the challenge proper

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#1) Blood of Dracula (1957)
‘50s girls’ school drama/horror. Nancy is a young woman whose father has remarried six weeks after the death of her mother, and due to friction with her dad and new step-mother, she’s dropped off at a reform-type school. Nancy doesn’t fall in with the pecking order, and is experimented on by the science teacher, transforming her into a werewolf-like creature with Eddie Munster’s looks. As virtually every other review for this film notes, there’s no Dracula, nor any of his blood. If you’re into ‘50s schlock, the social squabbling hits that spot, with lots of emphasis on how important it is to be part of the in group. Dopey boys are in the mix too, with one song-and-dance number padding things out by a few minutes. Despite the shortness of the film, the events drag along, never building up any strong tension or dread. There is a polygraph test scene, which might have been the most entertaining part of the whole film for me.

You could read some bisexual or lesbian subtext into the plot, as Nancy’s transformations are linked to her emotional excitement, and being around boys tends to set her off (“When I was in his arms, instead of feeling what I should, I almost killed him!”). Buuuut... the possible allegory is severely underdeveloped, and the climax just kind of flops into place in under a minute, with a couple lines of hamfisted moralizing from someone who was clueless about what happened putting a bow on the experience.

Better than Blood of Dracula’s Castle, at least.

:spooky: Rating: 5/10

Watched on Tubi

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 27, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yeah, first review! Good luck to all!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

1) Sparrows - 1926 - Youtube

When I first saw Sparrows way back when, I'd already seen some silent films. Phantom of the Opera, a really bad edit of Metropolis, a ton of Keystone Cops shorts, and some Keaton and Chaplin. Sparrows was my introduction to the concept that silent era films could deal with seriously unsettling stuff.

The movie's main setting is a baby farm in the middle of a swamp chock full of alligators and deep sucking mud pits. For those not familiar with the concept of baby farms, they were an alternative to orphanages. For a lump sum an unwanted infant or child would be taken in and cared for in what was presumed to be a better environment than the orphanage. The actuality was the children ended up in rampant neglect and malnutrition as the baby farmers found it more profitable to collect the money and murder the children or sell them off to whomever. Notorious baby farmer Amelia Dyer was believed to've murdered over 400 babies and children she'd taken in and told the police that they'd know the ones she'd done by the white tape she strangled them with before dumping them in the Thames wrapped up in parcel paper. Baby farms still exist today, and while not quite the murder factories of before, they are connected with human trafficking.

The baby farm in Sparrows is pretty much par with the children being neglected and on a starvation diet while being forced to work Mr. Grimes' potato farm. If they misbehave, they're drowned in mud pits. Mary Pickford plays Molly, the eldest of the children who tries to be acting mother to the younger ones. Acquaintances of Grimes come to the farm with a kidnapped baby they're ransoming off, but when the kidnapping makes headline news, Grimes decides to drown the baby in the swamp. Molly fights him off with a pitchfork and when he decides she needs to go to the swamp too, she takes the kids and leads them on a tense escape through the swamp. The ending's upbeat but after everything that's happened in the film, a downer ending would have everyone a wreck.

This early example of Southern Gothic horror was Pickford's only entry into the subgenre. This was also the film that perked my interest in Hollywood/film history as Pickford was the producer on the film and the fact there were women producers back in the '20s blew my mind. My mind would be blown further learning of how many women directors and screenwriters were around back then.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I've failed 3 or 4 years in a row now. I've always had a theme and while that's fun and all, this year is just "whatever's clever".

I'm gonna do 31 movies. Just whatever looks interesting. Probably a rewatch of It Follows since it's a quintessential "autumn m o o d" movie. Probably my 10th rewatch of Dude Bro Party Massacre III. Just whatever looks cool.

Will I succeed where I've failed so many times before?

Much like a glass coffin, remains to be seen.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Darthemed posted:

#1) Blood of Dracula (1957)

M_Sinistrari posted:

1) Sparrows - 1926 - Youtube

whoa total surprise who the first two reviews would come from ;)

Untrustable posted:

Much like a glass coffin, remains to be seen.

:hmmyes:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

whoa total surprise who the first two reviews would come from ;)

I know it sounds silly, but I get a bit nervous being first post out the gate.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I know it sounds silly, but I get a bit nervous being first post out the gate.

What was your count last year?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

OK I'm going to attempt 31 movies I haven't seen before and Fran's challenges.

First up:

1) Tenebrae (1982)

American author Peter Neil is promoting his latest book in Rome, when a serial killer strikes, seemingly obsessed with Neil's work.
It has Dario Argento's signature style and great Goblin* score. One scene in particular that stood out is just three whole minutes of the camera moving menacingly from the killer's POV before he strikes while that kickass score plays (nws for blood and nipples):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2hVO5BRIQ

The plot is convoluted, chock full of red herrings and twists and that's a slight detriment but I've come to expect that of Giallo's by this point.

There's a lot of meta elements, such as Neil being accused of misogyny for making a career out of telling lurid tales of women being murdered
According to Wikipedia, Argento offered the lead role to Christopher Walken which would have been awesome, but Anthony Franciosa is great anyway
It's one of the 39 films banned and prosecuted in the UK under the Obscene Publications Act and I'm continually baffled by the attitudes of those days. It's bloody, yes, but not sadistic or anything.

Tenebrae is a smart, stylish thriller and I'm glad to have started the challenge with a quality flick.

*technically three members of Goblin, who didn't have the name rights to it, but it's that Goblin sound.

Watchlist:
Tenebrae (total: 1)

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 27, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I love Tenebre. Argento scholars, which are a real thing, consider it his cinematic reaction to his critics, and directly addressing and genuinely considering allegations that his films, and the horror genre, misogynistic.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

1) The Strangeness (1985)
Trailer (in Spanish)
Seen on: Free with Amazon Prime, also available free on Tubi and can also be found on YouTube

It's a tale as old as time - an old California gold mine is reopened by an earthquake, and a group of characters descend on the location to get rich or document the history of the place. The earthquake also unleashes the thing that originally closed the mine - a weird Lovecraftian tentacle beastie that's very hungry.

As a kid, I was fascinated/terrified with The Boogens, and over the years I started to see The Strangeness referenced often online whenever the former was discussed, so I gave this a watch. From what I can find on Google, this was an expanded USC student film, so taken in that context, it's mildly impressive for what it is. The biggest strike against the film is it's slow and padded with amateurish acting and bad dialogue. The makeup effects are pretty good though for the low budget, and apparently the cave set was the inside of the director's garage covered in painted tinfoil and it surprisingly doesn't look like it. The goopy monster itself is a Ray Harryhausen-style stop-motion creation that's somehow sort of charming even though it looks like a penis monster with a drooling vagina mouth, so take that as you will. There's some decent atmosphere here between the set lighting and the (apparently added after a distributor picked it up) electronic synth-ish score, although I'm 99 percent certain at least one of the tracks, if not more, was lifted from Don Dohler's Nightbeast. It's a low-budget creature feature in the end that's fun to watch for its novelty but not much else.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I still have a couple of challenges left to finish in Hooptober, so I've folded the end of that list into the start of my SA list.

Ganja & Hess (1973)
"You're into horror movies... I can dig it."
I'm not the biggest fan of vampire movies, but I do like when they explore vampirism as an allegory for other things. In this case there are themes of addiction, and probably lots of others I am not qualified to analyze in any detail. I'm oversimplifying. I think this movie is smarter than me. Anyway, Duane Jones and Marlene Clark are both great in this (I don't know that I've seen Jones in anything besides this and NOTLD). The pace is slow, but you can never really settle or get comfortable in it because it's so experimental and dream-like. In terms of horror, it's not particularly scary, and most of the killing happens off screen, but I did get a little spooked by the chanting that is heard whenever they're ramping up to feed. I'd be curious to see what was cut (I watched the ~110 minute version on Shudder, but read that it was originally cut down to around 80, which is insane to me). Worth watching! 3.5/5

SA October Horror Challenge Count: 1/40

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
The Perfection (2018) 2/5
After the death of her mother, a former musical prodigy seeks out the heads of the musical academy where she studied and meets the new star pupil. Things then get weird and dark. The movie is kinda unfocused and looks like a cheap TV movie. The horror elements start with a surprise insect infestation body horror and then switches for a amputee body horror finale. The movie deserves some points for turning drugging a person and tricking her into cutting off her own hand with a meat cleaverinto a good thing to do in a very specific situation.

The City of the Dead (1960) 2/5
A young woman interested in witchcraft goes to a small New England town to learn more about the history of witchcraft. She discovers more than she expected. The movie starts out strong but switches to a male protagonist early on and becomes less interesting. Doesn't really develop any mystery. Entertaining, atmospheric, little film, that doesn't explore it's potential.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

What was your count last year?

I think it was 100-something. I'd have to go digging for the thread to be exact.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Incredible Melting Man (1977)
"You've never seen anything until you've seen the sun through the rings of Saturn!"
Writer/director Williams Sachs said that the movie was ruined by producers taking out the comedy and trying to put more horror into it, but I don't know, it was still pretty loving funny. I love the old couple stealing lemons in the middle of the night. "Not while I'm driving, Helen!" My favorite character is Burr DeBenning's Dr. Ted Nelson, who is so mildly annoyed the whole time, he acts like someone with a printer jam as opposed to someone trying to hunt down a radioactive melting man who keeps eating people. Oh, and keep your eyes open for Jonathan Demme in a small role, because that's weird. PS: Yes, Rick Baker's effects for the melting man are awesome, he looks disgusting.
:spooky: 2.5/5

SA October Horror Challenge Count: 2/40

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

1. #alive - Director: Il Cho - 2020 [netflix]

A pretty good zombie flick in a sea of middling modern zombie movies. It’s nearly a tight 90 but I never noticed the length and it moved along fairly briskly with plenty of good zombie bits and familiar tropes to help you along the way.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Only real goal this year is to actually stick with doing this the entire month and not stop.

1. Boar-2017: 4/5

Pretty good Australian Killer Animal flick with a giant-rear end wild boar running around killing people. While it doesn't reach the greatness of Razorback, it's still a fun ride with a couple familiar faces and some decent gore, Iffy CGI at moments but it doesn't really hurt the movie any.

Watched on Shudder

New Watches: Boar
Rewatches:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

2) Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - 1920 - DVD

I could've sworn I did this one before, but apparently not.

For how much this film's been analyzed to Hell and back several times over, I'm not sure what I can add to all that. This film has been so influential, I can't imagine what films would look like if this one hadn't been made. Equally, I can't imagine this film not being made because of the state of the world post-World War I. It's been said by many, including Roger Ebert that this is the first horror film. That is wrong and those insisting it should sit in silence and contemplate the depths of their wrongness.

The wraparound of the film was a change made by the director who wanted to keep the film more dreamlike. The writers hated it since they wanted to keep it more real horror. I don't see why it can't be both. Maybe it's a me thing or just the volume of horror films I've sat through, but even with the wraparound, Caligari's line of being able to cure Francis sounds pretty ominous. It leads me to the interpretation that the events with Cesare happened but Francis and Jane went insane from them and ended up in Caligari's asylum.

The copy I sat through's not the best but what I've seen of the 4K release, it looks glorious. There's probably rips of it up on Youtube. I consider this one of the must see films if one has any interest in movies.

3) Hunchback of Notre Dame - 1923 - Youtube

I'd seen the 1939 one with Charles Laughton first so I'm a bit partial to that one. It's been ages since I read the book.

I can't speak on the four film adaptations before this one as I've not seen them and am not sure if they're considered lost like so many films of the silent era, but going from what synopsis' I've come across, it doesn't look like there's been any faithful adaptation of the original novel.

Storyline's similar enough to the ones of the films to follow. Chaney's makeup is iconic and he pretty much carries the film on his shoulders. He did end up with some lifelong health issues from the makeups he used to pull off Quasimodo's look.

I did like this one, but I do like the Laughton one just that skosh more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In 1920 Babe Ruth hit 54 home runs. He obliterated the previous record, 29 home runs, which had been set by....himself. The 54 home runs he hit beat every team in the league that year except for one. He completely redefined the game.

That's basically what M. Sin did two years ago.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
I’m in for thirty-one first time viewings, starting on the first. I can’t wait for the Fran challenges to start rolling out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
1) Dreadnaught (勇者无惧) - 1981

Directed by Yuen Woo-ping.

Well this was pretty fun. A psycho killer martial artist joins a theater troupe to hide from authorities, and kills anyone who might compromise him, or really just anger him in any way. But unfortunately for him he runs into Wong Fei-hung's associates because Wong Fei-hung is in everything.
Though there is a dude painted up like a demon going around killing people, it leans into slapstick like most kung-fu movies of that era, and as is frequently the case with this type of movie the plot serves more to string together a series of interesting fight scenes. But that's okay, it has a energy and the fights are well done. The highlight of the movie is an incredibly well put together Lion Dance battle only tangentially related to the main plot, which must've taken ages to choreograph and film. It's worth watching the movie just for that. And the main character gets his martial arts mastery from doing laundry, so the laundry-fu fighting is different.

7/10

Definite watch for people who like kung-fu.