Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
oh yeah, do you have corn mazes? a good corn maze totally makes it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

The Voice of Labor posted:

oh yeah, do you have corn mazes? a good corn maze totally makes it

AKA a maize maze

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
No corn mazes lol. Australia doesn't have these things gang

I have to make my own halloween fun :spooky:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

Chewbecca posted:

No corn mazes lol. Australia doesn't have these things gang

I have to make my own halloween fun :spooky:

Get a bunch of popcorn kernels and make a lil maze out of it!

sb hermit

FPzero posted:

I live on a dead end street at the far end of my neighborhood, which means no one comes over my way aside from like, the few kids on the street. So after they come and go, I'm generally left with tons of candy all for myself. a couple years ago when I was in an apartment, there was no trick or treating, so i just bought a bag of candy for myself--after halloween was over so i got discounts on them!

Same here.

When I was a kid (which would be the 80s and 90s), it would be normal to go to people's houses (especially ones that had porch lights on with halloween decorations like a jack-o-lantern) and ring the doorbell and say whatever phrase is customary to your age and locale. But I guess the culture changed while I was in college and I never really got any trick-o-treaters while I was living in an apartment (late 2000s to mid 2010s). Talking to some parents, apparently the new cool thing is to have parents bring their kids to a parking lot and now the trunk stands in for the front door.

Weirdly enough, where I'm staying now, I didn't get any trick-or-treaters except for one year when there were too many and I got cleaned out. Well, it was less candy for me to have to pawn on coworkers the day after, so I'm not disappointed.

Anyways, supermarkets and pharmacies and whatnot will have bags of halloween candy front and center and usually at steep discounts, which get even steeper after halloween itself. It's important to note that these bags come with a dozen (or a couple dozen) servings each, and each serving is individually wrapped and meant to be eaten in one or two bites. However, if you're well off, you can distribute full size candy bars to the local kids and definitely be the king (or queen) of the neighborhood for just one night.

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1179791562307338240

Chewbecca

Man I wanna eat a jolly rancher :shehuck:

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

Chewbecca posted:

Man I wanna eat a jolly rancher :shehuck:

MAYBE U SHOULD ASK THEM FIRST!!!:dadjoke:

sb hermit

Prof. Crocodile posted:

if you are under 13 years of age you can wear storebought costumes of fictional characters and go through your neighborhood asking people for candy

if you are 13-18 you can gather with friends in discreet places and smoke weed and drink cheap wine.

if you are 19-32 you can go to grown up parties people wear 'clever' costumes

if you are 32-70 you can enjoy the halloween season with your kids/grandkids under age 13

if you are 70+ you can lurk in a spooky house with your secret deformed serial killer child and torment any children foolish enough to break into your spooky house on a dare

It goes without saying that if you are unmarried or married without kids, then you continue to go to grown up parties.

Or stay home and drink beer and pass out candy.

sb hermit

starbucks hermit posted:

It goes without saying that if you are unmarried or married without kids, then you continue to go to grown up parties.

Or stay home and drink beer and pass out candy.

that's strange, I thought I decided against posting this

Escape From Noise

starbucks hermit posted:

Or stay home and drink beer and pass out

sb hermit

Anyways, at risk of getting into trouble, I have some relevant 2020 information regarding Halloween:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays.html#halloween

cdc posted:

These lower risk activities can be safe alternatives:
  • Pumpkin carving indoors with family, or outdoors socially distanced
  • Decorating your abode, watching scary movies, or having a scavenger hunt with your family
  • Virtual Halloween costume contest

You have only one guess as to what the CDC totally recommends against doing.

I'm probably going to carve a pumpkin and leave out some candy in a bucket. Or maybe I'll just leave the lights off and just drink.

The Voice of Labor
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

quote:

Using alcohol or drugs, which can cloud judgement and increase risky behaviors

the cdc is basically saying up yours byob

sb hermit

starbucks hermit posted:

Anyways, at risk of getting into trouble, I have some relevant 2020 information regarding Halloween:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays.html#halloween

You have only one guess as to what the CDC totally recommends against doing.

I'm probably going to carve a pumpkin and leave out some candy in a bucket. Or maybe I'll just leave the lights off and just drink.

this idea is getting better by the hour

sb hermit

One interesting new trend (which apparently has been going on for about a decade or so? maybe more?) are businesses taking over large retail spaces (think large office supply stores or pet shops, maybe 3/4 the size of a supermarket) and turning them into haunted houses. (and halloween costume shops as well, and also other seasonal stuff)

I went to one in Tustin, CA about a couple of years ago and I think it was "the 17th door" (https://the17thdoor.com/). It was pretty cool and there was a lot of screaming by both employees and guests.

Only later did I find out that stuff of this nature sometimes has a bit of an evangelical christian bent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_house). I guess they disguised it enough that it didn't detract from the experience because I didn't really notice it.

If you have a lot of money, though, you can instead go to a theme park such as Knotts Berry Farm (and I guess Disneyland or Universal Studios or etc) and they're usually kitted out with halloween themed stuff (including having costumed employees chase guests and modifying some rides to go backwards). It's one of the few seasonal events (maybe the only seasonal event) where Knotts has a better reputation than Disneyland in terms of the premier Halloween theme park experience. Well, this is all 90s talk, so I dunno if things are different, but Knotts generally caters heavily towards the teen crowd at any rate.

sb hermit

starbucks hermit posted:

that's strange, I thought I decided against posting this

Ok, I remember, I was going to dunk on Rancho Cucamonga and decided against it.

Suffice it to say that it's an area with a lot of warehouses, an outlet mall, and where two major freeways meet (the 10 and the 15). It doesn't strike me as being affluent, but I guess I don't know enough about it. Then again, I have a rule of thumb that if a city has an REI, its residents are probably doing pretty ok.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
halloween isnt that big on this side of the atlantic, but i think it involves dressing up as sexy professions

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chewbecca

Nosfereefer posted:

halloween isnt that big on this side of the atlantic, but i think it involves dressing up as sexy professions

I can only buy internet things but I'm thinking of going as a goon who has been sexily decapitated

more falafel please

forums poster

when the weather is good we still get trick-or-treaters (I assume not this year) but we live in a pretty dense neighborhood with a lot of families with kids in a big city

I think this year we'll leave a bowl out on the steps with a thing of hand sanitizer and a sign that says "take one" or something to that effect

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

City of Glompton

starbucks hermit posted:

One interesting new trend (which apparently has been going on for about a decade or so? maybe more?) are businesses taking over large retail spaces (think large office supply stores or pet shops, maybe 3/4 the size of a supermarket) and turning them into haunted houses. (and halloween costume shops as well, and also other seasonal stuff)

I went to one in Tustin, CA about a couple of years ago and I think it was "the 17th door" (https://the17thdoor.com/). It was pretty cool and there was a lot of screaming by both employees and guests.

Only later did I find out that stuff of this nature sometimes has a bit of an evangelical christian bent (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_house). I guess they disguised it enough that it didn't detract from the experience because I didn't really notice it.

If you have a lot of money, though, you can instead go to a theme park such as Knotts Berry Farm (and I guess Disneyland or Universal Studios or etc) and they're usually kitted out with halloween themed stuff (including having costumed employees chase guests and modifying some rides to go backwards). It's one of the few seasonal events (maybe the only seasonal event) where Knotts has a better reputation than Disneyland in terms of the premier Halloween theme park experience. Well, this is all 90s talk, so I dunno if things are different, but Knotts generally caters heavily towards the teen crowd at any rate.

i went to knott's scary farm a looong time ago and it was really cool. there were random staff members dressed in black who had little knee pad things that let them slide, so they'd sneak run up on you and come sliding out of the shadows to scare you, which was great. also a lot of very loud haunted walk thrus/haunted houses that were spooky

where i live now there is usually at least one person in a town who goes completely all out and either does a haunted house, or decorates the whole yard with little spooky vignettes. i helped a coworker who was one of the former make a pretty great haunted house that included a horror butcher shop display and a smoke machine one year. it's a lot of work but people really appreciate it.

we also have some corn maze/pumpkin patch places that will do spooky nights in the maze where guys with chainsaws (sans chain of course) will run around laughing maniacally and zombies will chase you

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

FluffieDuckie

we live in one of those unfortunate neighborhoods where people bus in their children to get the good stuff.

i retaliate by asking to see ID to make sure they're really neighbor kids :twisted:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FluffieDuckie

duckie's house, halloween night

TRICK OR TREAT!

oh look. a little ghost. aren't you cute. i haven't seen you around here. where do you live? where is your school? did you have to get in a car to get here? what's the mascot of the local elementary school?

i'm sorry those are all wrong. (reaching for the bowl of jolly ranchers)

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i'm dressing up as sexy internet poster

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alnilam

Nosfereefer posted:

i'm dressing up as sexy internet poster

"dressing up" :confused:

ty manifisto

Prof. Crocodile

chewbecca imma post genuine Halloween scenes from ‘merica for you, so you don’t have to rely on the curated images from google.

here is one I saw today. please note the glow in the dark skeleton on the tractor who I believe to be beer pal irl

Chewbecca

Prof. Crocodile that rules, holy heck :eyepop:

Chewbecca

Goons I've been :spooky:halloween:spooky: decorating while listening to halloween playlists and now I'm knackered :dogge:

When do people normally decorate? Is it too early? If it is too early then too bad, but just out of curiosity!

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Goons I've been :spooky:halloween:spooky: decorating while listening to halloween playlists and now I'm knackered :dogge:

When do people normally decorate? Is it too early? If it is too early then too bad, but just out of curiosity!

in my experience (in Southern California)...

If you are hosting a party at home, then you want to be done before the party starts. Most parties are hosted closer to the 31st (likely the first Friday night or Saturday before halloween, or halloween itself on a weekday if you feel lucky), since the guests will need all the time they can get to prepare their costumes.

If you are hosting a party at work, and if halloween is on a weekend, then workplaces (if they allow it) will be decorated on the Thursday or Friday before that weekend. If it's a weekday, then decorations will usually happen the day before or the day of halloween. Most workplaces don't do any decorations at all and simply grant a minor concession to allow costumes in the workplace and maybe order a pizza for lunch so that people can congregate and comment on each others' costumes.

If you are not hosting any parties but you want to get into the spirit of the season and not be a disappointment to your community (although generally most households don't bother with it) then you just need to be done before the 31st.

This is a stark difference in comparison to Christmas, since generally you want to be done about a week before Christmas itself because you won't have time to put up lights or ornaments or etc in the actual week before Christmas (due to the shopping, the holiday travel, the whatnot).

sb hermit

It should be said that it's never too early to do Halloween decorations.

As long as your municipal regulations allow it, it is always cool to have a glowing green skeleton riding a tractor on your front lawn.

sb hermit

And you can turn that skeleton into a christmas decoration just by putting a jaunty x-mas hat on it.

Easy, yet novel.

sb hermit

I took a couple of pictures at a local CVS, which is a mid-sized pharmacy. Places like these always have a seasonal aisle, and for this month, the season is Halloween Candy. Orange colored kitkats,

https://imgur.com/a/FHgznmK

The only difference between a place like this and a supermarket is that a supermarket will also have cardboard bins next to the front entrance overflowing with pumpkins.

(and then again, if you are near a Trader Joe's, they go all out with the fall/halloween/thanksgiving products.)

EDIT: I meant to say "orange colored kitkats, dense bags of various mars chocolate, peanut butter cups in a multitude of spooky shapes"

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 3, 2020

Escape From Noise

https://youtu.be/ChlW283_33s

sb hermit

This is the kind of neighborhood where you really have to go out of your way to get Brach's candy. An eagle eye can actually spot the one location in this entire aisle where you can pick some up.

There's also the halloween pretzels, which I've never seen before, and now I want to try out.

more falafel please

forums poster

lol what are halloween mini pretzels

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

sb hermit

more falafel please posted:

lol what are halloween mini pretzels

gently caress, this is now my new task

sb hermit

i hope trick or treaters this year will like halloween mini pretzels and not egg my home out of disappointment

Chewbecca

Look at my glittery black skeleton, I :love: him :swoon:

sb hermit

Chewbecca posted:

Look at my glittery black skeleton, I :love: him :swoon:

:same:

Chewbecca

I got a candle that drips red wax, a spiderweb tablecloth, and a bottle with witches on it

It doesn't photograph well cos it's a candle, but it looks very spooky irl imo

Twenty Four

Chewbecca posted:

starbucks hermit posted:

It should be said that it's never too early to do Halloween decorations.

As long as your municipal regulations allow it, it is always cool to have a glowing green skeleton riding a tractor on your front lawn.

Your stuff about work in that unquoted post seems off too me, in that either a workplace allows it or it doesn't. If it does it is usually "second half of October" instead of the very last minute.

For houses the hardcore around here seem to do it the very end of September just to show they are hardcore, there has been more of a trend of Halloween getting "earlier" here in the last decade or so just like Christmas has been for quite a while now.

With that said the more stuff that gets put up, the earlier it tends to go up, but for most "sometime in October" is pretty much it, especially with houses. Some that just carve pumpkins and maybe a little more has to be last minute so they don't wilt and rot so you might not see anything until then.

Also around here more houses then not will have little to no decorations but a fair amount will have a pretty good setup and a small handful will go all out and have an impressive haunted house type getup where there isn't more then half a foot anywhere that doesn't have something going on.

The part about adult parties usually being the Friday or Saturday before with actual Halloween being more for the kids is spot on, unless it falls on the weekend, then it pretty much comes down to "what's your kid situation?".

Again this is "around here" so ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

Twenty Four posted:

Your stuff about work in that unquoted post seems off too me, in that either a workplace allows it or it doesn't. If it does it is usually "second half of October" instead of the very last minute.

You're right. I haven't worked in too many workplaces but usually I'm in smaller office suites that don't try to do anything fancy. Any decorations are usually what people put in their own cubes or offices.

Twenty Four posted:

For houses the hardcore around here seem to do it the very end of September just to show they are hardcore, there has been more of a trend of Halloween getting "earlier" here in the last decade or so just like Christmas has been for quite a while now.

With that said the more stuff that gets put up, the earlier it tends to go up, but for most "sometime in October" is pretty much it, especially with houses. Some that just carve pumpkins and maybe a little more has to be last minute so they don't wilt and rot so you might not see anything until then.

Also around here more houses then not will have little to no decorations but a fair amount will have a pretty good setup and a small handful will go all out and have an impressive haunted house type getup where there isn't more then half a foot anywhere that doesn't have something going on.

The part about adult parties usually being the Friday or Saturday before with actual Halloween being more for the kids is spot on, unless it falls on the weekend, then it pretty much comes down to "what's your kid situation?".

Again this is "around here" so ymmv.

This is also true for my neighborhood as well. Thank you for talking about the pumpkin rot. I already got candy, so I'm probably going to put out a pumpkin as well. I hope I don't forget the candles.

If I carve a pumpkin this year, I'm going to see if I can do something cool with the pulp. Roasting seeds is fun and all but it's so much work.