Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I stopped watching Mad Men somewhere in the middle of the fifth season - it just got too tiresome for me to see Don self-destruct over and over again and though I got it it didn't really make for pleasant tv watching. But reading these episode summaries are getting my juices flowing to complete my watch for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Xealot posted:

Her ending is absolutely somber, but I do agree with this assessment. Sally and Glenn were clearly Matt Weiner working out some poo poo from his own childhood, as they both have these parallel processes of coming into an adult awareness of how flawed and disillusioning the adult world is, how fallible the adults in their orbit actually are. Betty's death in particular makes a lot of sense as a capstone to that. Sally's series arc is kind of the audience's, seeing with sobering clarity how the glamorous and ideal suburban family she was born into is actually sick with dysfunction. Her handsome, successful war hero dad is actually a drunk, lecherous imposter, and her gorgeous cake-topper of a mother is actually an immature, miserable child.

Her ending also harkens back to what Don said to the American Cancer Society: "children will look to their parents and see they're not long for this world," but also that "the children will really be thinking of themselves." Sally's teen years are full of hosed up psychological lessons, inappropriate parentification, way premature exposure to sex and lies and resentment. But the silver lining, I think, is the point you're making here: she's not taking this out on her brothers, she's choosing to be a better person internally in spite of her parents' example. It sucks that she was asked to be the adult in the room so often, but now she is one. And a far more responsible, caring one than she ever saw modeled for her.

One thing I like about Sally's story is you get to see why Boomers Are The Way They Are. It's actually kinda funny that "Boomer" has evolved into a term to mean "old out of touch (likely white) person" - where the decades previous to that it encapsulated a revolutionary generational shift and anti-conformity backlash to stultifying suburbia.

Whatever our complaints about Boomers and how they parented Millennials and Gen-Z... the Silent/Greatest Generation were far, far worse.