Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I rewatched the show reading Matt Zollers companion book The Carousel, and look forward to living it again through these reviews.I prefer your reviews, especially coming from a newbie. I hope you end up liking the show as much or more than Sopranos, theres so much in there and you hit some of the themes spot-on so cant wait till you get to some of the upcoming twists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
It might be obvious trivia, maybe its obvious if your from New York, the gaslight cafe is also featured in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Inside Llewyn Davis and started the career of lots of famous people including Bob Dylan.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Francine drinks in hungrily Betty's stories of being a model, a past she knew nothing about and which excites her immensely... and Betty too, as she remembers the exhilarating, terrifying but ESPECIALLY freeing experience of being a model. She was even a muse for awhile for an Italian fashion designer named Giovanni who was obsessed with Americans (he wanted to be called Johnny) and gifted her a number of dresses. She kept all of them and of course they all still fit, and she models them to a gaping Francine who can't quite believe that Giovanni did all this for her... and their relationship was REALLY only platonic? It's an eye-opened for her and a treasured memory dusted off and reexamined for Betty, the memory of a time in her life where she was the center of attention and her life was full of energy and excitement.

Maybe its a really obvious reference, but is this supposed to be Gianni Versace?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
haha oops, I thought he was a little older for some reason.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I had a Mad Men dream after reading this thread before bed last night. I was in a 70s ikea style shop with my girlfriend and we saw Pete Cambell shopping for appliances. I started laughing and pointing and whispered to my girlfriend that Pete's hairline was receding.. Not sure what to make of it.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Did anyone else think this guy looked weirdly similar to Pete?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

sebmojo posted:

In Breaking Bad the characters are all to some degree subservient to the plot.

I don't agree with this tbh. They have said they wrote the show literally episode to episode by looking at each characters motivations and writing naturally from there, rather than following a more natural structure, which led to climactic events happening in random episodes (The cousins) rather than season finales.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Sash! posted:

I want Roger to be, inexplicably, still trucking at 105+.

I don't want to be that guy but we should probably try and spoiler if certain characters survive. And I realise now they will see this spoiler box and presume he actually dies, oops.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I remember in the UK at least for season premiers and stuff they showed period accurate ads instead which was pretty cool.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Bismack Billabongo posted:

There’s a moment in one of the season five episodes where you will immediately think, oh, weiner just did this to gently caress with AMC’s money and it is CHOICE. Of course at the time it aired I don’t think the behind the scenes money squabbling was very public but it’s even better now.

What part?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
God, having gone through some money troubles and stressful times this year due to COVID, it was hard even reading the recap. :( RIP lane.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
RIP Robert Morse

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Devorum posted:

Finally, I get to share the True Ending to Mad men.

https://youtu.be/KOzS9Azg0Ag

Great finale write up. I stayed up way too late to read it, but it was worth it! Gods, I love this show and experiencing it like this was almost like experiencing it for the first time all over again

Should be that Jason Alexander McDonald’s ad lmao

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Harrow posted:

I have a question for the Mad Men thread. What shows would you recommend in terms of like "if you loved Mad Men, you should watch _______"? There are some obvious answers (The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul) but I'm wondering what other shows people would recommend.

Mostly I adore Mad Men and I'm hungering for other shows that can scratch an even vaguely similar itch.

To recommend something a bit different, for period pieces I'm not sure what the critical consensus is but I'm really enjoying The Crown, and for a lighter toned 60's piece maybe Mrs Maisel?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I saw a TikTok of random facts people can’t believe they just figured out and one was that they are called Mad Men as in Madison Avenue. Is that true? I feel really stupid now and think it might have even said that in the pilot opening but not sure if I’m overthinking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Sash! posted:

It was... Odd. Like it wanted to be a kid's movie but was determined to not be, despite being almost a live action cartoon?

It felt like a family guy episode. Some funny bits and characters but Seinfeld was by far the worst part and actor, and its weird he was so obsessed with this movie idea.

Jon Hamm can get back into the role easy enough but something seemed off about Roger, like he was doing a different accent or something? He had different vibes.