Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just completed a first watch of Mad Men over the summer and was absolutely floored. I'm so excited to read your write ups!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm like 10 or so episodes into the first season and I dunno. It's just not doing anything for me. These type of shitbag characters were more interesting when they were on the Sopranos and they knew they were full of poo poo and only pretending they were living in the 50s. The only interesting characters are Pete Campbell and Peggy. I cant even remember the names of the other Jr Execs except occasionally when they mention the one who writes for magazines. Pete is kinda interesting as a mini/future Ralph Cifaretto but i dont think that's the direction they're going to take him. Draper and his wife both bore me to tears sometimes. It seemed at first like peggy was just low key playing everyone with her new girl act but i guess not. I'll keep up with Jerusalems write ups because he def nails them but I might bail after s1.

You should really stick with it. From what I've seen, most people say the show hits it's stride at the end of season two, but if you find Pete and Peggy to. Be compelling you should see it through. One has a very satisfying arc and the other has a good one.

The show really manages to go places and I can't wait to talk in more detail as Jerusalem gets deeper in.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also back when it was airing I remember being annoyed at what an awards darling the show seemed to be, but now I totally get it and it deserves every single thing it won.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Xealot posted:

Yeah, you feel bad for him in the moment, but then he continues choosing to be terrible and selfish. It makes sense that Don would have such an instant dislike of him, because he's the antithesis of Don: a talentless social climber who leans on his name to achieve everything. For better or worse, Don is the epitome of a "bootstraps" success story. Meanwhile, Pete was born into everything and does nothing but complain about how he deserves more. That must be so repellant to someone like Don.

Pete's extreme fragility makes his relationship with Peggy make so much sense, though. Because she's the only person naive enough to actually be impressed by him. I think it's true that everyone who matters at Sterling-Cooper sees right through Pete...they tolerate him at best but nobody particularly likes him. But then there's Peggy, this rube from Brooklyn who's actually taken-in by his pretensions of status or importance. The scene where he waxes poetic about his romantic fantasy of killing a deer for his frontier wife is so cringy, and the fact it turns Peggy on is ludicrous. But it also makes the later scene - where Peggy tells him, "I had your baby, and I gave it away" - so effective. Eventually, even she comes to see him for what he actually is, which is equal parts devastating for Pete and intensely cathartic for Peggy.

I guess I'm kind of a sadist when it comes to Pete Campbell, though. A lot of my favorite moments involve him having a bad time. Perhaps my favorite episode of the show in general is S5E05 "Signal 30," a flawless takedown of the paper-thin masculine insecurity that defines every single problem Pete Campbell has. It's just a rock-solid episode.

I love that Pete is so much the anthesis to Don that the first time he keeps a mistress, he doesn't linger on her mind like Don does with all his women, but rather she has a mind completely wiped and doesn't even recognize him. I love how it's a warning that if he continues to try and emulate Don he will only end up lonely, broken, and forgotten.

The fact that he is antithetical to Don is the reason why he is ultimately a redeemable character.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Jerusalem posted:

It's been quite some time since I've laughed quite as hard as I did for the vomit scene the first time I saw it. It just KEEPS coming and something that gross-out happening on a show like Mad Men was just such a wonderful surprise :)

I had the same reaction when I watched the series for the first time a few months ago. My only experience with the show had been AMC promos on TV and acceptance speeches on awards shows, so seeing the show engage in something weird and absurd signaled that I had it totally wrong.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Ken also has one of the most fun scenes in the whole show.

All it took was some meth.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Does Jerusalem have a pateron or something? I feel like I should chip in a few bucks a month for these wonderful reviews.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I'm expecting 10,000 words on The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This isn't the thread for it but The Shield is better than The Wire

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I agree with the sentiment that Breaking Bad doesn't really hold up, and it also doesn't help that its spinoff completely outshines it in pretty much every regard.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Getting mad when a show doesn't condemn bad people instead of getting mad at the nerds who can't read enough subtext to understand that Don is not a figure to emulate.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 21, 2021

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This thread is one of the best on these boards

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Klowner posted:

Slightly more spoilery:

Pete = New York I Love You
Lane = North American Scum
Harry = One Touch
Joan = Time to Get Away
Abe = Pow Pow
Ted = American Dream

Megan- Dance Yourself Clean

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

sebmojo posted:

in a sense don draper is 'donning' (putting on) a 'drapery' of false identity to cover his real identity of dick (meaning 'penis') whit (meaning small) man (man).

i kind of love how on the nose some of its stuff is.

Penis Smallman is my favorite character from Death Stranding

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

RIP

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I always assumed that Ginsberg was MK Ultraed

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

drat our pal Jerusalem is an insightful watcher.

Jerusalem don't read this.

He's going to ruin the surprise of the ending by sniffing out the desk girl in the outfit 100 percent lol. This man is too good.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Best show ever made

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

i love this show

thank you for this thread, Jerusalem

I think my favorite scene in the entire thing is Peggy walking into McAnn with The Fisherman's Wife. It's such a perfect portrait of herself and simultaneously hilarious.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

roomtone posted:

I've always taken Don's final moment leading into the Coke ad as him yeah, finding a moment of relief from trying to fill the suit and hole inside him, but then the show cuts straight to the famous commercial. I think after the moment passed, he used the memory of it as fuel to continue on the same path, which has been darkening for a long time. So I don't think Don's life is a happy one from here on out, because he hasn't actually learned anything if that was what he did with this experience. It was just a catharsis that didn't last. He goes back to New York and cannibalises his own emotional depth for the sake of materialism, as he always has throughout the show. I see it as a microcosm of what happened to the counter cultural movement of the 60's - subsumed into the pursuit of wealth. So it works for me on both of those levels. A failure to learn from pain, and cynical exploitation of those who are still hopeful.

Yeah this is how I always viewed it. He probably wasn’t the first person to reconstitute his childhood trauma into a cynical corporate export, but I like to imagine that he’s the model used by so many today.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

One might call it the best show ever.

(I have not watched Deadwood)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I like Glenn and his weird Bartleby demeanor

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Don is a miserable cretin but he also lives a life of incredible material comfort, so it’s kind of hard to accept his dissatisfaction as any sort of recompense.

But also, that dissatisfaction is kind of who Don is. He retreats into the romantic narratives of his work (and also occasionally tries to manifest that same romance into the real world) because he will always be unhappy with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sash! posted:

Sorta? At various points, he shifts between being a notch above living in a cardboard box or Oscar the Grouch with indoor patio furniture.

I never really got the impression that Don’s economic status was ever in peril, unless I’m misremembering.