Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Are you referring to Dick when you're talking about Paul Kinsey? Did they gave him a different name after the pilot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

algebra testes posted:

When I watched it my 20s I remember following a long for a season, I was compelled but didn't get it. It probably wasn't until part way through I started loving it, specifically the Hobo Code.

I thought Hobo Code was regarded as one of the weakest episodes of the series?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Escobarbarian posted:

By who? It’s great.

I remember reading a couple of listicle "best episodes of mad men ranked" lists around when the show was ending.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Man I forgot how creepy Glen was. The cherry on top of that being played by Matthew Weiner's kid. Just a charisma black hole whenever he shows up.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Escobarbarian posted:

Season 5 is probably my favourite season tbh, just barely edging out 4.

4 is my favorite.

I tend to think of this show in 3 arcs. Seasons 1-3 the show feels more like the 50s to me, and it kinda fits with the idea that "the 60s don't really start until Kennedy dies." 4-6 are like the 60s, through the Summer of Love and when the protests all get going. Season 7 is like the beginning of the 70s - after the 60s burnout and the start of something new, even if it still technically starts in the late 60s

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yoshi Wins posted:

I don’t think either character is irredeemable. Both of them do a lot of terrible things, but they both finally appear to be making great strides in season 7 in understanding how much they’ve been the cause of their own problems because of how they’ve mistreated the people closest to them. Can they fully atone for their crimes? Perhaps that’s for the people they’ve hurt to decide. But both Don and Pete are a lot more compassionate and respectful at the end of the show than they are at the beginning.

I think Mad Men takes the perspective that we’re all flawed, many of us deeply so, and we do tend to repeat our mistakes a lot, but we do continue to grow and change throughout our lives-sometimes for the worse (Harry Crane is at his worst in season 7), but sometimes for better.

I thought the entire point of these was that nobody changes. pete may be moving to the middle of the country at the end but I don't think he will change his philandering ways. Don's weird sabbaticals just become what he does, he always comes back.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yoshi Wins posted:

This is the first episode where Freddy Rumsen has a memorable role, so now is a good time to point out that he is played by Joel Murray, younger brother of Bill Murray. Had no idea the first time I watched the series. I think he does a great job with the character.

That's what Mad Men, more than any of the "Mount Rushmore" of TV dramas (Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire) does world population the best. Every character feels like it is a living, breathing part of this world. And it is very good at bringing people back when needed for that to work, and knowing when a character should be walking away and never seen again.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Always the good excuse to post the chip and dip video

It is interesting to see Jerusalem's takes on Betty early on in season 1. There is a big push and pull up to around season 2 on whether Betty will somehow find Betty Friedan or do something else, and alot more of the "suffering housewife" aspect of her character...which by the end of the series she pretty much embraces that idea of her role being the housewife.

I also forgot that there is such an antagonistic relationship between Don and Roger as well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Xealot posted:

Yeah, the literal value of the $200 probably doesn't matter to either of them, but it's definitely lovely that it was a wedding gift for both of them that he repurposed into a toy for himself.

snip

I don't think alot of that info comes out until season 2, so I'm putting this warning in spoiler text.

The Cooper conversation about having a Dyckman in the company rings very true to Old New York, and something that by the end of the 60s was definitely dying out. I don't think they ever mention or connect Bert Cooper or his sister to it, but there was an old and powerful Cooper Family in Manhattan, but the Dyckmans with that Dutch name would be old, old money, real Social Register types.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

Season 1, Episode 8 - The Hobo Code
Written by Chris Provenzano, Directed by Phil Abraham

Hollis apologetically informs them the service elevator is not operating and asks if they mind sharing the lift with a janitor. They offer no objection, but Pete is clearly less than impressed to have the black janitor not just visible to him but sharing his space. He's used to the maintenance staff being invisible, he just comes in to work each day and the place is clean and he doesn't think anything of it. He complains to Peggy about spending a day watching other men work, and when the janitor gets off on his floor, Pete also takes a moment to complain about the lift being "the local" - Pete is used to being the "express", an important person who gets taken where he wants to go without delay. Hollis is quick to apologize for the great crime of making Pete stand in an elevator with another man.

Another day, another goon not getting New York humor

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

God Hole posted:

nah you were pretty clear jerusalem. that goon just saw a thing related to some esoteric SA trivia they had holstered and was so excited to own somebody with it, they didn't actually read your original statement

I went back and watched the scene, I think Pete was making a joke. I don't think Jerusalem thinks Pete was making a joke.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sash! posted:

And is essential to one of my favorite small scale fun scenes.

"I've started cooking—actually made myself a—what is it, honey?" "A Pop-Tart, Ed." "It was very good."

And it is so good because that his character is exactly the kinds of greatest generation guy who would be proud to put something in the toaster.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Annabel Pee posted:

Maybe its a really obvious reference, but is this supposed to be Gianni Versace?

I enjoy the idea of lil' Giovanni Versace taking photos in the 50s, I don't think that works.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Beefeater1980 posted:

Pate’s just being competitive. He doesn’t actually dream of being a writer, he’s just desperate to have something that he can win at.

Pete is a land of contrast; when Jerusalem says he wants to get his way because of his pedigree, he also is, I feel, ashamed of it while also using it to his advantage. How much does Pete resent being there because of his name? His parents already think his job is not fit for his background, like he is slumming it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yoshi Wins posted:

On a separate note, I think the episode aims to convey that Don intentionally fooled the army as a desertion tactic. They did a lot to establish that he was very scared about being in Korea, and Rachel calls him a coward in this episode, and it's written all over his face that he believes she's right. And, as you note, it would be weird even for a person with a concussion to peel the dog tags off of their CO's charred remains to wear them.

What do you make of the fact that he's brave sometimes (hiring Duck despite Pete's threats and boldly criticizing Belle Jolie for their close-mindedness to Peggy's new approach) and a coward at other times? Is his level of bravery context-dependent? Or perhaps dependent on his mood?

I actually love the fact that Don intentionally did it, because it is the one lie, above all else, that he keeps to himself. Every time it becomes known - Betty, Anna, Megan, the final Legion Hall - it never comes out that he switched the dog tags himself.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

potee posted:

Matthew Weiner's son that played Glen was pretty terrible, but they clearly figured that out early enough, and they also struck gold with Kiernan Shipka.

It also took a while to find the right bobby

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Someone has uploaded a video with that stuff from Season 5, and I honestly can't tell if these were the real ones or just self-edited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlqViCuC2Q

So, somehow spoilers for season 5, yet also, not? so people who don't want spoilers, don't click that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I guess this isn't a spoiler now that we've passed the episode, but I'll spoil it just in case:

Rich Sommer has talked about how Harry was supposed to kill himself at the end there, and Matt Weiner changed it last minute to keep him around because he liked the character.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JethroMcB posted:

Uhoh, realizing Don was supposed to be 36 by this point - so, 34 in Season 1? - is making my 36-year-old Happy Meal-rear end feel extremely old

Jon Hamm and Don are pretty such the same age as the show goes on - the time jumps between seasons keep them at parity.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Season 2 is the second best one of the series imo. 5 is a monolith surrounded by slightly smaller ones. But the idea of anyone frowning on season 2 is baffling to me, the last three episodes are a stretch almost unequalled until s5 I think

When I rewatch I never enjoy going back to the earlier seasons. It sometimes feels like you're watching two different shows.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yoshi Wins posted:

Overall, I don't think this is one of the stronger episodes, but it has one of the most famous Don moments, when he sexually assaults Bobbie at Lutece. Disturbingly, many people found this scene to be "cool", an example of how alpha and masculine Don is. The show did its best to clarify that Don is a miserable person, but bad behavior will always look glamorous to a certain segment of the audience, and in the early days of Mad Men, there were a nauseating number of articles in men's magazines and the like advising their readers how to be more like Don Draper.

I think alot of those stories (and I guess this applies to most things) is that they are written in such a way that you never really know what's going on in the show in the first place. You look at articles about Mad Men and Breaking Bad in the late 2000s and they always just taking the premise of the show and running an article on what they think the show is like. A SNL-parody level try on what they think the show is.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I also like to see the ups and downs of Duck this season. He's one of the more fascinating characters to me.

because every time you see him again after s2 you see such wild ups and downs

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

"It will shock you how much it never happened" is one of the best (serious) lines of the series.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Xealot posted:

and even garbage network hangers-on like Pan Am or The Playboy Club happened. Maybe that's coincidental, and maybe it's not.

I believe both of those shows were made directly to get some of that Mad Men chum runoff. Both tried to get viewers by saying "its the 60s (like Mad Men), on Network TV!" And they both blew chunks, the end.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oh man, I totally forgot the Decemberists and the dog are in the same ep.

I love them but it sticks out like a sore thumb. Worst song on that album too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

Inside, Smitty does all the talking as usual. He's excited, showing off a wildly rambling letter he got from a college friend about the "Students for a Democratic Society". Don is polite but unimpressed, it's idealistic but he doesn't really get what it has to do with selling coffee. Smitty enthusiastically explains, it's all about the difference between generations: Don's want to show off new designs, get the newest and most exciting product, to be told what to buy etc, but their generation doesn't want to be told what to do, they don't want to be herded or managed, they just want to be. They have used their friend's passion to come up with a concept which they want to play for Don now on the reel to reel tape Kurt wheeled in with him.

Smitty, by the way, was probably born around 1940 and thus technically part of the Silent Generation (the same as Pete and Don!) but clearly thinks of himself as part of the next generation. That would be the Baby Boomers, who for all their talk about peace, love and just wanting "to be" would arguably end up being probably the greediest, most selfish and incredibly consumer driven generation in history

They're of course talking about the Port Huron Statement by Tom Hayden and SDS. Everyone who created the movements, in culture and in politics, that would shape the rest of the 1960s for the youth movements can really come from this. And none of this stuff was coming from Boomers yet - this is the Yippies, All the the leaders of the cultural movements of the 1960s were born 36-43 - Abbie Hoffman, Bobby Seale,, Bob Dylan, the Beatles. Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden, too. When you're saying that Boomers are "the greediest, most selfish and incredibly consumer driven" - that hasn't happened yet.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Klowner posted:

This is the bottle it came in

This looks like something from the 20s you would get as medicinal alcohol.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

IIRC The Heineken spot was the first big company that showed up in the show and then had their real commercial showing up right after.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

pentyne posted:

Did the show have any sponsored placements? I remember later in the show the brands would make jokes on twitter whenever they'd get featured in an unflattering light.

I think jaguar was. I don't know if it is a situation where they are paying to be on the show, it was more like "if they want to use us, we'll put our commercials there wink wink"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rest in piss Freddie

Been waiting weeks to say this

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Klowner posted:

I just noticed that there are a lot of odd parallels between this episode and "The Suitcase." Jerusalem mentions Floyd Patterson was beaten by Sonny Liston... who was then beaten by Muhammad Ali two years later. Both episodes are centered around a Samsonite pitch. In both episodes, Don goes out drinking with a friend, then has a physical altercation with someone who hates his guts. Both episodes feature drunk ex-employees of the company whose body counts in war are explicitly referenced, and who relieve themselves in the office. A blonde woman's death affects Don deeply. Maybe I'm reaching a bit with the last one, but this has to be more than a coincidence right? Is there any confirmed connection between these two episodes?

I think its not intentionally trying to make a connection, but I'm guessing when writing The Suitcase they went back to some familiar ideas to expand upon the ideas here.

I would also say it is always nice when Freddie comes back for episodes. Mad Men was always good at keeping side characters moving in and out, or making references to them. The only big character who I think leaves one day and never comes back is Sal, and that always led to rumors about disagreements between Bryan Batt and Matt Weiner, which don't appear to be true.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a34980/mad-men-salvatore-romano-bryan-batt/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

(don and sal chat)

I think it is also interesting how don very casually expects sal to go along with it to keep lucky strike business, but is the one most against joan sleeping with the jaguar guy

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gaius Marius posted:

duck does seem a lot better the last time we see him in season 7. getting outta advertising probably did him wonders

the last time we see him he's back off the wagon trying to get into Pete's apartment.

I think that Duck is what Pete would eventually turn into given enough time. Se kind of slimyness and desperation to please.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

She suggests he go home, and he stares at her for a few moments and then utters one of the most breathtakingly tone-deaf and ironic things he has ever said, which is quite something given his past: "Everything is so easy for you" he - the rich high New York Society kid who has been given everything in life and stills complains - tells the poor girl from Boston who has fought her way through sexual harassment, an unknown pregnancy, enormous misogyny and clawed her way through pure talent and perseverance. That she doesn't just deck him right then and there is a testament to her character, especially when with quiet certainty she explains to him that nothing is easy for ANYBODY. Or in other words, he's not got some special claim on suffering a hard time. She tells him to have a good trip and then leaves. Whatever he hoped to gain from their conversation, whether a chance to bitch and moan or some ridiculous thought they might end up together again, he didn't get it. Peggy doesn't exist to make him feel better, and like Don she's well past a point where he can really put her off-balance anymore.

...from Boston? Peggy is from Brooklyn.

edit: You don't get to see alot of Betty's life previous to Don, this episode being probably the biggest part. I think you could say her father, like Pete's is probably seeing a decline in wealth compared to what "the family" was before.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 17, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

pentyne posted:

Even for Bud being the golden child he's shockingly chill about it and doesn't rub it in Pete's face. Like they both just accepted they had weird hosed up parents and all they could do was what society expected of them as the monied class. Pete's casual dismissal of expecting anything to inherit which Bud readily acknowledges would've gone solely to him was brutal to watch in how blaise they both were about the whole thing.

Their small interactions during the show, the back and forth between two people who barely act like work colleagues much less brothers always makes for extremely interesting insights into Pete's own brand of self loathing narcissism.

But I also think this is not just unique to Pete and the "monied" class. There were no expectations for siblings to be treated equally, or to receive equal inheritance. Hell that still happens in alot of families now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oh man, you finally got to the Greg scene. Probably the most horrible moment in the show in a show filled with them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrotherJayne posted:

... Dick didn't cause Don's death, unless he got the at th called down on them somehow. And I don't think he thinks he did either?

It was an accident, but he did cause it. Dick was lighting up when Don told him he pissed himself, started wiping his pants and dropped the lighter onto the gas. Don tries to kick dirt on it to put the fire out desperately while Dick runs away from the explosion.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sebmojo posted:

Also he's kind of awful in some ways but he's not a murderer, so it's not like soprano or white at all.

He drove his brother to suicide.

and another

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sebmojo posted:

bad things must have a sign hung round their neck that reads BAD so we know they are bad? The littering scene did that, and it was very heavy handed and they wisely steered away from it in future. Should there be a character that tells don he's a bad person? because the comedian guy does exactly that.

fundamentally people like confident attractive people, whether as audience or irl, and so you have to see them being confident and attractive. there are plenty of characters that are neither but have all the same advantages (paradigmatically, Pete) so it's not like we don't see the flipside where someone has all the privileges without the patina.

I mean hell you see don dissolve into a terrible sweaty mess the instant after Pete threatens to shop him. How much more explicit do you think it needs to be? Should there be a chorus character following Don around chanting 'this character is a product of a racist sexist culture and is not to be admired or imitated'.

less snarky, is there a way it could be done well, in your view, in a way that it's not already being done?

Don gets away with so much because he looks good. Hell, the Carousel pitch depends on him and his family looking the way they do.

the clearest example of this is in S7 when Mathis tried to solve things "Don's way" and it goes over like a lead balloon. Mathis says, explicitly, that this poo poo only works because Don is handsome, something we are told repeatedly throughout the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JethroMcB posted:

Except Don's advice is sound, more or less "Read the room, address the previous offense with a sense of humor, but do NOT explicitly apologize because the client will read that as weakness. They've already agreed to a second meeting, so what you did clearly was not a deal-breaker for them, we still have leverage here."

Don even gives Mathis the appropriate angle - "Go in with a bar of soap, tell them you've got it on hand in case you need to wash your mouth out." Prop humor, but it addresses the elephant in the room and turns it into a self-effacing thing. Instead, Mathis just parrots the exact line from the story Don told him - A bawdy one - knowing that being coarse was what got him in hot water in the first place, and then blames Don for bad advice. Mathis sucks.

I would disagree on this. I feel like the entire point of the final conversation is Mathis saying anything Don would have done to fix it would work, while anything Mathis does wouldn't (you may disagree on this, but I think that's true. Nothing Mathis did probably would of made the client happy). He could get away with so many things because of his looks, and I think Mad Men does a great job explaining that - like when Pete and Don go golfing and Don forgets his golf clothes, and just goes "I'll throw my tie back and roll up my sleeves, they'll love it." Pete replies "...they probably will." and they go. Only a Don could get away with this. Even Don does subconsciously know this, when they all go on speed and Don is explaining to tap dancing Ken that "he must be there in the flesh" on his pitches, because in the end, a big part of his sales pitch is himself.