Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

algebra testes posted:

When I watched it my 20s I remember following a long for a season, I was compelled but didn't get it. It probably wasn't until part way through I started loving it, specifically the Hobo Code.

guy walks into an advertising agency...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

that is a really good analysis, but it's more of a show wide one and I agree we should be holding off that stuff in here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

awesmoe posted:

I totally agree in one sense, but...there's really interesting discussions to be had based on these episodes, contrasting characters' early portrayal against the later versions of their characters, themes as they show up for the first time, etc etc. All of that stuff gets jumpstarted by jerusalem's writeups, and it would be a real shame to have nowhere to discuss it. I don't really know what a good solution is (except jerusalem not reading the thread :haw:)

Just be reasonably rigorous about spoiler tags, I think.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Season 1 is the most "things sure were different in the past weren't they? Huh?" season and it can feel like the show is nudging you on the ribs to point that out more than is seemly

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Another great one. This series really rewards your analytical style, I think, since it leans heavily on themes and nuance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I love how on the nose his name is. Don (wear) Draper (covered with a concealing cloak)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just occured to me: Dick Whitman = 'whit' means small, etymologically. Small dick-man.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shageletic posted:

what what what?!??! where did you get this.

mcbain.gif

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shageletic posted:

if there's a joke i don't get it, so i guess i deserve that?

i think it's just a riff on drama series propensity to get increasingly far out with their story developments. Cf the wire, which had a serial killer plotline in s5.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

could you refresh my memory on that? vvv oh yes ty I'd forgot vvv

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 21, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

Don didn't even get hired, he just walked in and said he was.

In Traveler terms, he got a double six on his Carouse roll

I don't know why I used a 1980s sci fi rpg analogy i'm sorry

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

B5 thread is explicitly a maximum clean zone spoiler free thread, because it's a great show to experience that way. I don't think mad men leans on its plot developments in the same way, and there are lots of interesting interplays between themes that we should be able to discuss. Also I don't think jerusalem minds.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

There's still some things we need to be sure to spoil like when the [spoilers]chip n dip[/spoilers] comes back into play in the season six finale. I was blown away. It's when I knew weiner was a master of his craft.

the Red Mowing

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

looking forward to it! I love this show, and your immensely detailed and thoughtful analyses are an absolute treat to read.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yoshi Wins posted:

"My people are Nordic" is definitely one of the all-time Betty lines. It's about as funny as Pete's "Direct marketing. I thought of that. Turned out it already existed, but I arrived at independently."

Of course, it's not as funny as "Not great, Bob!" but what is?

"THE KING ORDERED IT!"

Overall, I don't think this is one of the stronger episodes, but it has one of the most famous Don moments, when he sexually assaults Bobbie at Lutece. Disturbingly, many people found this scene to be "cool", an example of how alpha and masculine Don is. The show did its best to clarify that Don is a miserable person, but bad behavior will always look glamorous to a certain segment of the audience, and in the early days of Mad Men, there were a nauseating number of articles in men's magazines and the like advising their readers how to be more like Don Draper.

I think the show did a fairly good job handling the moral responsibility of depicting a character who is superficially cool, but is also a hosed up person who does terrible things. Most of the troglodytes who thought that Don was an example to be emulated lost interest long before the show finished. It eventually became clear that the show was not confirming their worldview after all. But I do have some misgivings about this scene, where a "cool" man gets what he wants by sexually assaulting a woman and then threatening her. What do you all think? Do you think I'm overthinking it?

Not that this is wrong, but:

quote:

This just amuses her further though, as we've already seen she's as used to getting her own way as her husband is, and she grabs his crotch, gives it an appreciative squeeze and points out it sure doesn't feel like he doesn't want it.

they're not actually equivalent, but they are definitely superficially equivalent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shageletic posted:

That's a pretty good distillery but yeah starting out drinking bourbon is gonna make anyone take a step back, personally I find good scotch like this boy here this is how you do them to be as smooth as juice, but tastes differ ofc e: lol what the gently caress is happening with links

ok yeah that was fairly weird but i think this is what you were pointing at?

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 30, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BrotherJayne posted:

He's very smart for such a chronic underthinker. Or maybe he's an overthinker, but fucks up the hip shots. Pete is just such a smarmy gently caress grimy little pimp

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lovely write up. And yeah, Greg, hoooo boy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

oh, meditations in an emergency is next, i love that one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Meditations in an Emergency
BY FRANK O'HARA
Am I to become profligate as if I were a blonde? Or religious as if I were French?

Each time my heart is broken it makes me feel more adventurous (and how the same names keep recurring on that interminable list!), but one of these days there’ll be nothing left with which to venture forth.

Why should I share you? Why don’t you get rid of someone else for a change?

I am the least difficult of men. All I want is boundless love.

Even trees understand me! Good heavens, I lie under them, too, don’t I? I’m just like a pile of leaves.

However, I have never clogged myself with the praises of pastoral life, nor with nostalgia for an innocent past of perverted acts in pastures. No. One need never leave the confines of New York to get all the greenery one wishes—I can’t even enjoy a blade of grass unless I know there’s a subway handy, or a record store or some other sign that people do not totally regret life. It is more important to affirm the least sincere; the clouds get enough attention as it is and even they continue to pass. Do they know what they’re missing? Uh huh.

My eyes are vague blue, like the sky, and change all the time; they are indiscriminate but fleeting, entirely specific and disloyal, so that no one trusts me. I am always looking away. Or again at something after it has given me up. It makes me restless and that makes me unhappy, but I cannot keep them still. If only I had grey, green, black, brown, yellow eyes; I would stay at home and do something. It’s not that I am curious. On the contrary, I am bored but it’s my duty to be attentive, I am needed by things as the sky must be above the earth. And lately, so great has their anxiety become, I can spare myself little sleep.

Now there is only one man I love to kiss when he is unshaven. Heterosexuality! you are inexorably approaching. (How discourage her?)

St. Serapion, I wrap myself in the robes of your whiteness which is like midnight in Dostoevsky. How am I to become a legend, my dear? I’ve tried love, but that hides you in the bosom of another and I am always springing forth from it like the lotus—the ecstasy of always bursting forth! (but one must not be distracted by it!) or like a hyacinth, “to keep the filth of life away,” yes, there, even in the heart, where the filth is pumped in and courses and slanders and pollutes and determines. I will my will, though I may become famous for a mysterious vacancy in that department, that greenhouse.

Destroy yourself, if you don’t know!

It is easy to be beautiful; it is difficult to appear so. I admire you, beloved, for the trap you’ve set. It's like a final chapter no one reads because the plot is over.

“Fanny Brown is run away—scampered off with a Cornet of Horse; I do love that little Minx, & hope She may be happy, tho’ She has vexed me by this Exploit a little too. —Poor silly Cecchina! or F:B: as we used to call her. —I wish She had a good Whipping and 10,000 pounds.” —Mrs. Thrale.

I’ve got to get out of here. I choose a piece of shawl and my dirtiest suntans. I’ll be back, I'll re-emerge, defeated, from the valley; you don’t want me to go where you go, so I go where you don’t want me to. It’s only afternoon, there’s a lot ahead. There won’t be any mail downstairs. Turning, I spit in the lock and the knob turns.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The poem I posted above is very worth a read, feels like there's a lot of relevant meaning in there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BrotherJayne posted:

Poem sucked.

I'd rather contemplate my navel

Edit: or some Blake or Poe or Frost. Gimme dat imagery, I need the pretty head pictures

:ok:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Don Draper is a terrible human being.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BrotherJayne posted:

Counterpoint: Don is more human than you or I

did i stutter

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Is it trying to be a rebuke of the conservative culture of the aughts? How?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i mean i guess, I just don't see that wealthy everymen owning liberal elites is a big or even particularly noticeable part of MM - there's a couple of scenes with hippies/beatniks, but i didn't feel like don owned them, it was more just a culture clash?

if you have an interview link handy it might help me understand what you're getting at.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VinylonUnderground posted:

It's hard to find old interviews but it shouldn't be surprising that Weiner was very public about how he felt people weren't "getting" what he was trying to say with Don Draper and how he is a tragic character as opposed to captain awesome. But Weiner glamorizes his subject to the point that it's hard not to walk away with sympathy towards the captain awesome interpretation. Weiner clearly likes womanizing very much. He also likes wealth very much. Mad Men is opposed to the conservative values Don represents in the same way Paths of Glory is antiwar.

This seems like it's the interview you are thinking of.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 31, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You might want to spoiler an interview that talks about things several seasons in advance of this thread.

argh, sorry. i changed it to a pastebin.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 31, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also he's kind of awful in some ways but he's not a murderer, so it's not like soprano or white at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

While I think the criticisms I'm presenting do apply to the series as a whole, I'm not spoilering things because I'm keeping my commentary contemporary with the thread itself. For example the jetsetters are a good foreshadowing of the doldrums of some of the later seasons and those do a fair job deglamorizing Don's lifestyle. Being a pathetic loser who pays women to slap him and then having the one friend he has left top himself is very much not glamorous.

We know Weiner likes being a grimy little pimp and his love of all the "bad" things about Don shines through in the product. I don't think the show is effective (and certainly not up to the point in the narrative where this thread is) at actually condemning these things. Instead it revels in them and then does a quick sad trombone scene to clumsily communicate that these things it presents as good are, in fact, bad.

bad things must have a sign hung round their neck that reads BAD so we know they are bad? The littering scene did that, and it was very heavy handed and they wisely steered away from it in future. Should there be a character that tells don he's a bad person? because the comedian guy does exactly that.

fundamentally people like confident attractive people, whether as audience or irl, and so you have to see them being confident and attractive. there are plenty of characters that are neither but have all the same advantages (paradigmatically, Pete) so it's not like we don't see the flipside where someone has all the privileges without the patina.

I mean hell you see don dissolve into a terrible sweaty mess the instant after Pete threatens to shop him. How much more explicit do you think it needs to be? Should there be a chorus character following Don around chanting 'this character is a product of a racist sexist culture and is not to be admired or imitated'.

less snarky, is there a way it could be done well, in your view, in a way that it's not already being done?

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 31, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mad men, more like... bad men

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hell yeah. I love that ep.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

Little things like Betty doing that after a lifetime of being the good domestic housewife, giving up all semblance of a life beyond rearing and childcare, and showing not telling in acting terms takes some serious level of talent.

Betty Draper and Skylar White were easily some of the best characters on their respective shows, arguably better then the male leads at times.

I don't know good Jones or Gunn are as actresses but they both absolutely nailed the roles they were given for some of the best written/most critically regarded shows on at the time and faced an endless torrent of poo poo online for being "bitches".

i don't think its unfair to say Jones doesn't have a lot of range, but she's perfect as betty.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Saving this for later.

I never think about you at all

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sure okay posted:

Two things I think about a lot from this season are

1. The scene where Paul is told Don's going to California in his stead and he reacts, "He can't do that!" The group's reaction is merely to laugh and no one even bothers to correct him. Of course he can. Like, these abstract qualities of "clout" and "authority" made manifest so swiftly and so sharply they humiliate a man to his core. Don obviously never meant that, but that didn't matter at all. I couldn't imagine getting so thoroughly owned by my boss in front of my peers, and to know (or even suspect) that it wasn't personal. At the very least I'd want such a slight to be personal.

2. Roger is so casual about Don's impromptu vacation that I honestly thought I had skipped an episode. I knew going in that this was a show that was, in part, about a guy who gets away with goddamn near everything primarily because of how he carries himself but wow. I think about how if he showed the slightest hint of guilt, or gave any sort of verbal mea culpa to Roger that whole outcome would've gone very differently. But his inscrutable, unapologetic poker face takes him so freaking far in life it is breathtaking.

it's how he carries himself and because he's really good. Don makes them absolute shitloads of money, and the nicest suit and the most suave demeanour wouldn't mean poo poo without that.

like in the first ep, where don's blanking on lucky strike and roger's quite blunt about why he's there: to deliver.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

Even better was the look from the others when Paul is almost breathless as he recounts his "negros and I got along" story.

They were extremely privileged white men in 1960 and even they could see how full of poo poo he was talking about black people like some mysterious discovery of his.

is he the one who eventually writes the star trek script about the Planet Negron

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jerusalem posted:

JARED HARRIS IS IN THIS loving SHOW!?!?! :derp:

o jerusalem u have no ideaaa

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

As an aside, that reminded me of one of the greatest stories ever of a person playing themselves in just the most predictable way.

opiOwned

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jerusalem's posts are excellent close reading so if you want to get better at it then just reading those (not to mention the sopranos and I think breaking bad ones) will help get better at it. It's a skill and it's fun.

I'd say the vast bulk of what Jerusalem picks up was intended by the writers because its that kind of show, but basically any reading you can support is valid.

As an exercise, think about why jerusalem keeps unintentionally confusing peggy and betty...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Escobarbarian posted:

Someone really needs to teach CD the “reasonable” part

I was thinking on this before haha.

The paradigmatic CD process seems to be to take a piece of mass market pop culture, make a loosely supported reading that is a bit outrageous, then :trollface: when people come in to dispute it.

I'd say that a hallmark of the style is to ignore or discount evidence in the text that doesn't support the reading, because the goal is to make people mad and laugh at them rather than explore the text but that itself is kind of a tendentious reading of CD so idk lol

e: film crit hulk does what I'd consider really good thoughtful readings of pop stuff, i liked this one

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 11, 2021