Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When I watched it my 20s I remember following a long for a season, I was compelled but didn't get it. It probably wasn't until part way through I started loving it, specifically the Hobo Code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When I was younger Don in 5G was like "wow what a jerk"

Now I understand it entirely. Although agree with it maybe not.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was also some criticism at the time (9 years ago christ!) that Don should love the Beatles because they are the ultimate product.

Which clearly missus the point.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love that this episode is about people being surpassed and things, Megan replacing Betty, Pete replacing Roger, Ginsberg replacing Don and that they are all toxic in their own way.

This show is so unsubtle with its themes and yet younger me probably didn't understand because I was young enough that I wasn't A Ginsberg or a Don. I guess it's a reminder when we get older to try not to be the Dons and Rogers.

Also related the Dick Whitman story is my favorite and the way the show works through it I enjoy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All I can really say is Jared Harris is amazing and his continued success in Prestige TV is well earned.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Radia posted:

I love how loving blunt the show is so saying it's the least subtle thing ever isn't an insult. Just yeah it has lines like "It's not your tooth that's rotten" and the entire Hobo Code episode.

Hobo Code blew my mind when I first saw it lol.

I was a decade younger I guess.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Season 7 is I dunno. Like somehow I know it's not the best but it's my favorite to watch.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always loved the "Don isn't in the start of the episode, oh wait actually, he is" trick in this episode even if it is very cute.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat what a good episode.

And it isn't even my favorite of Part 2.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah yeah Mad Men is really blunt with its symbolism but gently caress it I really love this last shot. I think with hindsight knowing where the show goes thematically it works really well on multiple levels: the "Gag" of him finding out he got completely hosed, there's the metaphor for Don's life and finally ~other things~ that come into play later.

Also I've always loved by Don trying to be genuine and saying "I'm sorry" in the most Don way by giving someone money and then getting totally hosed.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 20, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God that episode loving rules.

At the time I thought it was rushed with Betty and Pete but Don getting exactly what he wants, forgiveness and then punishment for his perceived crime of being a fraud in the literal and figurative sense and then eventually shedding his skin was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rectify.

Halt and Catch Fire?