Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

Jerru, this maze is not for you
is that the blackface incident?

nope that's Jane and rogers wedding, Margaret's is the Kennedy assassination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're not gonna know the context and are just gonna glaze over it. Your way overthinking it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Xealot posted:

You're missing some other hard-hitters. Duck? Straight-up alcoholic. Stephanie? Pregnant and homeless, then abandoned her child. Rachel Menken? Dead from leukemia. It seems like nobody's life actually gets better as the story enters the 1970's, in any midcentury period fiction.

duck does seem a lot better the last time we see him in season 7. getting outta advertising probably did him wonders

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

the last time we see him he's back off the wagon trying to get into Pete's apartment.

I think that Duck is what Pete would eventually turn into given enough time. Se kind of slimyness and desperation to please.

jesus I didn't remember that scene at all. I remember finishing the series and being glad he got away clean, drat.

I disagree with the second part. I think ducks what pete would be if he hadn't made a break and got outta dodge at the end. Like the one dude said duck is absolutely terrified of making any sort of poor impression on people. And it make sense. He's a damaged war veteran who used alcohol to cope, whose whole career was based on telling people what they wanted to hear. His whole time spent in the early seasons of sterling cooper must've been a constant struggle to not make a single slip and destroy himself there like he did in London. And well we see what happens when he slips.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

The poem I posted above is very worth a read, feels like there's a lot of relevant meaning in there.

Yes a lot of resonance with the show and this season in particular, however it also sucked. Dirty beatniks so self absorbed they can only write about themselves, disgusting. If you told me paul kinsey wrote that I'd believe you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think it's like a lot of things in the show. a little column a a little column b. Don does use his looks and charisma to get away with poo poo that others couldn't. but mathis also totally hosed up dons advice and the fact that he couldn't figure out that he himself hosed it up shows he's never gonna be a player in the ad world the way don is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

is he the one who eventually writes the star trek script about the Planet Negron

Absolutely

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If he was merely mediocre he wouldn't have a problem. His problem is he's mediocre with a massive chip on his shoulder.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yoshi Wins posted:

Listen, we all know the only way to meaningfully grow is to tell Hershey executives that you grew up in a whorehouse.

I'm so eagerly awaiting the reaction to this. It's bar none the best ten minutes if television ever created.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The quickest and most effective way to increase your ability to dissect a tv show is to take your smartphone and chuck it out the window.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I remember the Hollywood Handbook with Jon Hamm was great.

“maybe we re-do Veep. but, hold on, it’s called Beep. everybody in it is Cars.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

VinylonUnderground posted:

I strongly disagree. Mad Men is way more a piece of its time, to its detriment. Breaking Bad is so good it actively makes me angry every time I watch it. Mad Men is nice. Breaking Bad also never really hit a doldrums period whereas at least two seasons of Mad Men could be easily excised. It's a real Sopranos situation where it just drops like a stone for a few seasons and spins its wheels. Breaking Bad was nonstop adrenaline throughout.
I have this exact opinion but opposite. Breaking Bad is good, and you can see why it's more popular as it's got a lot more action and violence, but I don't think it's got nearly as interesting of characters. Even the random secretaries and copywriters seem to have fully fleshed out lives that continue irrespective of whatever or whoever don is doing at the moment. I can't say the same for breaking bad.

Mad Men is also absolutely hilarious in a way that BrBa only hits with the pizza toss.

Edit:I'd cut 90% of season two of Breaking bad before I cut a second of mad men

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Breaking bad certainly has better cinematography, if there's one place that Mad Men falls flat it's there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The ultimate male fantasy. Dying alone at work penniless after destroying your relationship with your friends, family, and everyone you've ever known.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sash! posted:

Jon Hamm was capable of desperate panic sweat better than any other actor that has ever lived and Don would be nothing without it.

People love when he's cool, calm, and confident. But he sells desperate man walking on quicksand better than nearly any actor I could name.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

I'm up through mid Season 5 in my watch and something I really love is the running joke of Roger pulling hundreds, occasionally thousands, of dollars out of his pocket at a moment's notice, prompting the person he's negotiating with to ask him some variation on "...wait, is this what you normally carry?" Even after he and Joan get mugged on the street, he continues walking around with a strip club roll of large bills.

That's the season where Peggy extorts him for the whole roll when he needs her to make an entire campaign in a few days right? I loving love roger, piece of poo poo but drat is he funny as hell

Jeffrey make Ctrl-s Spoilers for godsake, who even uses strikethrough

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Klowner posted:

someone mentioned it a while back but all of Peggy's/Roger's interactions with each other are gold. They are at completely opposite ends on every axis in life and it makes for some really funny conversations.

It's great, they have so few scenes together but they;re all gold, the scene near the end with roger on piano and Peggy just skating around the empty office is just fantastic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

That's in "Mystery Date," the episode that also has the "Don imagines he strangles a woman to death and puts the body under the bed")

Every time someone reminds me this happens I think they're making poo poo up, It's such a weird thing to do, The version of the weird wipe in the sopranos

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I just finished a rewatch inspired by this thread and Don's entire second marriage is pretty clearly presented as the actions of a pathetic man trying to improve on his last marriage while being fundamentally unable to overcome his personality flaws. For the first time in his life he ends up in the beginning of a somewhat-healthy relationship with a woman (Faye) before throwing it away to marry his secretary because she is: a) nice to his kids and b) happens to be in California when he's vulnerable so he is able to tell her about himself. After an entire season of acting like a baby because she won't be the kind of woman he wants her to be, Season 4 ends by implying that he cheats on her because she expressed some minimal independence. It is clearly not an enviable way to be, despite the glamorousness of Don's life.
I was honestly still hoping he could try and make it work, the show shoves it right In your face that what he's doing is not dissimilar to what Roger was doing with Jane, but dammit I was holding out hope that Don could learn from his failed marriage and have a healthier relationship with Megan.

I do think his reasons for going back to cheating are a little more complicated, It's wrapped up in his weird views of the transactional nature of sex. He cheats after he helps her get the acting gig, with all his baggage about being a whore child, I think the second that that happens something in his mind breaks and he decides, that shes just using him so it's fine if he bails on the relationship and goes back to loving around

Is you're username a reference to that loving Kenmore Ad?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Don Draper and women are pretty weird. He's the opposite of someone who uses women to burnish his image, like soft headed wannabe alpha men today. It's all way more complex, and hosed up then that. The first woman to show kindness to him he could remember hosed him, while being kind to him (not the act of course, which is statutory rape, but before at least). The dude was literally being fed soup and being bundled up after his stepmother cast him into the basement, before the caretaker jumped his bones.

hosed up.

And it feels like every relationship afterwards crashes in the shoals of Don's mixed up expectations regarding kindness/care-taking/and sexual appeal. He's looking for a mother wife, and prostitute sophisticate girlfriend, at the same time.

yeah season six does a lot to make some of the subtext text, especially the episode where he's searching for that piece of copy with the matronly figure, and how his cheating with Sylvia is done In the same style as the people at the brothel he grew up in.

it's one of the reason I'm not fond of the people who disregard don as just a fake alpha male. dude has a lot more things going on then just a desire to use women to increase status and delving into them will lead you to a much deeper enjoyment and appreciation of the media.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

S4 and S5 chat

The best parts of the season 4 rewatch, and why it is my favorite season, it because of things like this. The slow build-up of Megan is absolutely perfect to where you never would expect the marriage proposal and her becoming a central figure in the show, but it all clicks when you go back and watch. It is like she gets one more line every episode until she's not just background fodder.

Secondly, the reveal that Megan knows about Dick Whitman is perfect for the S5 opener. You are giving hope to the viewer that this time, maybe Don has finally learned his lesson and this will be different. And this is also where you get the fat Betty reveal, and it makes the contrast between the two wives of Don Draper even bigger. Makes the "are you alone?" gut punch from the S5 finale hit harder.

That final line was such a gut punch, you knew it was coming, the whole season led up to it, but every fibre of my being was hoping it wouldn't happen

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Klowner posted:

That song is just amazing in its own right too. I hadn't seen "You Only Live Twice" the movie before so the song was completely alien to me. The best musical cue in the show is the string pluck right between "Are you alone?" and "And love is a stranger..." Haunting, seductive, and maddening because you know that's the very moment Don decides to throw away everything he's worked towards the past two seasons

Fun fact the version used in the movie is cut from like four different takes Nancy Sinatra did, they had originally wanted Frank to do the theme but he suggested she do it, she was so nervous she kept making mistakes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seasons 4 and 5 are the best as far as I'm concerned, and they start using music I've actually heard before

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I disagree

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol shut the gently caress up dude

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

LIGHT THE JERU BEACON

Let him work on his own time. It took what eight years for the series to finish, if you must have more read his gta san andreas let's play. It's truly something to behold.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

"Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" https://lparchive.org/Grand-Theft-Auto-San-Andreas-(Screenshot)/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shageletic posted:

I was just reading the wiki about that episode.

Intense contract negotiations between the end of the fourth and fifth season led Matthew Weiner to quit during the downtime between Season 4 and Season 5. AMC and Weiner were locked in intense negotiations, with AMC asking Weiner to cut two main cast members every season starting with the fifth, a shorter running time to make room for more commercials, and more product placement within the series.[7] During the negotiations, Weiner said, "First of all, the number that's been published is not true. Second of all, I offered to have less money, to save the cast, and to leave the show in the running time that it's supposed to be. The harder that I've fought for the show, the more money that they've offered me."[7] After conversations with the network stalled, Weiner gave up hope on returning to the series. "I quit ... during the negotiation. I had come to terms with the fact that it was over ... In the most protective and demanding way, I did not feel that it was worth going back to work to make a show that was not the show I'd been making. I had this argument with my wife, where I said: 'You don't understand - it's not just a matter of changing the show. I don't want to go to work and do it different. I just figured out how it works' ... [But] in the end, everything worked out."[8] AMC eventually relented, signing a new deal with Weiner that keeps him on board as showrunner for the fifth and sixth season, with a strong possibility for a final seventh season.[9]

goddamn AMC almost ruined the show

Jesus can you imagine if the show ended at tommorowland, absolute insanity. If he ain't lying ill give it to weiner for sticking to his guns, cutting cast and shorter episodes would've destroyed the show.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Why the gently caress do channels keep insisting on this with their best pretsege shows? If you want to be taken seriously, it's going to cost money and the one way to gently caress that all up is to go cheap and alienate your audience. Look at SCFY and "The Expanse"

I wonder if it's better or worse than murdering the show because you didn't understand the legs it had. RIP Carnival and Rome

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly, force of habit in this thread. Have you read the ideas they had? I don't know how well it would've worked out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well you see he was engaging with the show on the same terms Jerusalem was or some such nonsense. Dude honestly sounded like one of those guys who just discovered the more mainstream thoughts of criticism of media, and leapt right in to try and prove how intelligent he was. While I don't agree with many of Jerusalem's takes, he's consistently proven himself to be a keen observer of subtle details of emotion and able to frame his understanding through that lens. Vinny's takes we're extremely facile in comparison, completely lacking in the understanding of the inner lives of the characters, he instead latched onto some tired argument from Truffaut and tried to shove his square block of an argument into the circular hole of Mad Men, then blended it with some bizarre assertions about Mad Men relating to Bush's America. His core argument seemed to be something about Weiner being too infatuated with high class society to truly criticize it. No examples were given, and counter examples were waived away simply by refusing them to be accepted as criticism.

It would've been ignorable except for his dedication to constantly F5'ing and repeated posting. He made it to the fourth or fifth of the postcount list despite not starting until near the end of Season 2.

You missed absolutely nothing by not reading his "Criticism"

Them lashing out at this cruel injustice and getting probed is the only mildly interesting thing that relates to them in this thread.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 5, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I posted that I thought it was in this very thread.

Mad Men is the most memorable show that I constantly mix up details of, or order of events, it's got a weird quality that way

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 7, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Peggy's mom is just the mom from Everybody Loves Raymond, but in a drama and not a comedy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had not realized she was still a working actor.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yoshi Wins posted:

Herp a derp derp. Edited the "one-off" out. Thank you.

I guess the failure to be a better man thing is probably it, because I can't really think of anything else.

Having the black characters in the background to establish the setting works well for this first few seasons, but not as well for the late 60s seasons IMO. I've always assumed that the writers felt like they weren't up to the task for some reason. Doesn't mean they're a bunch of racists or anything. It just would have been good to also explore that as thoroughly as they explored the changing landscape for women.

I think they were trying with Dawn, but by that time they had so many plots and Char's that they couldn't really figure out how to work things out in a satisfactory manner.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

Britain didn't have the same epic levels of racism America had so they doubled down on class discrimination.

I'd be willing to bet there's quite a few Indians,Chinese, Aboriginal Australians, Native Americans, and Africans who would disagree.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beamed posted:

Just got to the Suitcase on my rewatch. Still just an absolutely incredible episode, holy moly.

Also, Roger's threat to Peggy when asking if Don was still in the office was hilarious. "I'm going to count to 3 and start saying some things you really won't like, sweetheart."

There's an abundant intentionality to that episode for sure

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can’t recall her doing that to him. It probably didn’t even register with me. Which is probably telling.

their whole dynamic is hosed to hell

I'm ready for Season four and the show finally gets out of the growing pains and hits it's stride

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In just the last decade we’ve had movie stars like Brendan Frashier and Terry Crews be subject to some men in power over them grabbing their genitals and in Frashiers case speaking up about it internally helped end his career. And that’s in the 2000s. I can’t imagine how in 1962 or whenever if a man ever even hinted that he was uncomfortable with someone, especially a gorgeous looking woman, grabbing their genitalia without permission how that’d be received. They’d likely be labeled as a queer and ostracized. I don’t know if Don cared but maybe he did. And if he did he knew there’s sure as hell nothing he could say about it.

I don’t mean to equate the abusive situations then men experienced back then with that of what women went through because of the day to day power imbalance but it existed.

I'm too drunk to remember where Jerusalem is at. Are we at Sal's firing yet. Cause that poo poo is the exact same, Even today, I've been groped in "Jest" by my female managers. That poo poo wouldn't fly if the roles were reversed but you're just supposed to take it as a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We are not there yet. I am both excited for and dreading that write up.

I wonder how hes gonna take it, Some peeps have been taking it really negative towards don which I just don't see, at least not towards their reasoning. Don's got sucha hosed up transactional view of sex, Sal loving Cigarette man seems absolutely natrual to him if it means not losing their golden goose, hell he'd do it himself if he was gay.

I don't think the dude is judging Sal at all for his Homosexuality but rather for his instability to gently caress a client to keep them

It's hosed but it's wrapped up in the same hosed up swamp of sexual feelings he's had since he grew up in the Brothel, I really think analyzing that aspect of his character brings a lot more understanding to don than just saying he's a bad lad.