Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I really enjoyed your writeups for the wire... years ago at this point.

I also waited until the series was long over to watch it, and when I finally did, it was a binge-watch. so needless to say, I only really got a surface-level understanding of some of the more ambitious social commentaries the series was attempting. it wasn't until months after I finished it that I finally internalized the darker implications behind the last sequence in the finale.

I'm really excited for this! enjoy it, jerusalem. this series is a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

JethroMcB posted:

The thing that strikes me first and foremost revisiting these early episodes is just how heavy-handed the "Holy poo poo, the 60's!" stuff is. It doesn't ever really go away - this is very much a show about its time period - but the really hacky bits like everybody coughing after discussing "safer cigarettes" and "Simple enough for a woman to use" and the plastic bag thing do fade away relatively quickly.

the one moment that had me picking my jaw up off the floor was after don's picnic with his family, he grabs the blanket and whips ALL the garbage off it onto the ground, and then walks away. it was one of those moments where you were like "yeah, 60's" but there was something just so obscene about it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's also a great litmus test for deciding whether or not you want to be friends with or date somebody; if they genuinely think Don Draper is a cool guy to be emulated, steer clear! They missed the point

yup. i distinctly remember someone recommending me a video called "charisma on command" or something that goes into detail about how to be cool and confident like don draper. it was basically a pick-up artist tutorial.

i think don is excellently characterized and portrayed, but if the ultimate point was to show how empty and unfulfilling an existence like don's is, unfortunately the showrunners were a bit too subtle.

edit:

:suicide:

God Hole fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 30, 2020

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

if we're listing all-time great episodes, i think 'the crash' is certainly up there.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so, just to be clear, jerusalem reads all these and is doing a blind watch

as a thread will we also be nominating x season as the best one, and y as the worst? and casually describing a character's entire arc in a single sentence? should we consider spoiler tagging those too?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Funnily enough if I was gonna get into my proper season rankings I was gonna spoiler tag it but I don’t think just saying “I personally like this one the most” counts!

the ranking of the seasons is a beloved tradition of all tviv threads

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

That night in bed, Don has made significant progress reading through Exodus, absorbed enough to barely pay attention to Peggy chatting to him as she prepares for bed herself.... until she mentions that the first boy she ever kissed was Jewish. That gets his attention fast, and he lowers the book and asks her how on earth that came to be. She explains her friend Deirdre knew a Jewish girl who invited them to a mixer at her synagogue, where she danced with a very attractive if gloomy boy called David Rosenberg all evening.

lol that's either a great freudian slip or I really didn't pay attention in season 1

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

nah you were pretty clear jerusalem. that goon just saw a thing related to some esoteric SA trivia they had holstered and was so excited to own somebody with it, they didn't actually read your original statement

with peggy i always just figured she didn't have a whole lot of experience contending with male attention before sterling cooper. i always really liked trudy in my original viewing, but i never stopped to consider what it was about pete that had her so enamored - her meeting with the publisher indicates she didn't have that problem though. i'm going to be stewing over this for a while i think.

God Hole fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

awesome writeups jerusalem! been a treat re-experiencing this show with you. eagerly looking forward to the rest!